Oculus + X52 Pro

Feedback and information for X Rebirth VR Edition

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

r4yban

Oculus + X52 Pro

Post by r4yban » Mon, 31. Jul 17, 13:45

Hi there,

I've just started playing this on the Oculus Rift with an X52 Pro joystick, and I'm having trouble with any actions that require mouse input, such as interacting with stations to dock etc or scanning (and possibly others I haven't discovered yet, I'm a new player and I'm just following the starter tutorial). My main issue is I can't see a cursor other than the small dot pointing where I'm looking at, and I can't seem to map any of the buttons in the joystick to the functions normally performed by the ones in the mouse, nor can I actually use the mouse when using the rift, as it causes the game to lose focus. Am I missing something?

Franc Kaos

Post by Franc Kaos » Mon, 31. Jul 17, 17:15

I seem to remember a command to keep the mouse in window, but it seems the mouse as pointer wasn't implemented in VR mode. If you take the headset off it goes to 2d screen mode and the mouse becomes active but you're right, mouse would be useful when using menus.

Unbekanntes Feindschiff
x4

Post by Unbekanntes Feindschiff » Tue, 1. Aug 17, 00:33

Assuming the VR edition handles joysticks like regular X Rebirth you need to bind one of the buttons on your X52 to "interact". Then when you have e.g. a dock selected press and hold the interact button, then move your joytick in the direction where it says dock until it's highlighted and then release the interact button. Same for scanning and other interactions.
HGN

r4yban

Post by r4yban » Wed, 2. Aug 17, 00:54

Thanks for your replies guys!

@Franc, yup, that's what I've been doing so far (take the headset off) but it gets tyring very fast...

@Unbekanntes I've tried this and the funny thing is, with the headset off it works perfectly but the moment you put it back on it stops working. Seems that the cursor is indeed not fully functional in VR yet, hope they iron this out before the full launch.

Bernd
Site Admin
Site Admin
x4

Post by Bernd » Thu, 3. Aug 17, 20:10

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to play without a VR controller and want to use the "look at" cursor to select objects and interact with the joystick?

The reason why the cursor only works in 2D and does not work in VR is probably because the game sees a VR controller and therefore expects you to click on objects with it.

Did you consider playing with joystick + one VR controller for HUD interaction and pointing to menus?

-Bernd
---
-Bernd Lehahn, bernd@egosoft.com

r4yban

Post by r4yban » Thu, 3. Aug 17, 23:43

Hi Bernd, thanks for your reply.

That's right, I'm trying to play without a VR controller. And it just dawned on me that the game is probably designed with it in mind. Truth is, I bought the OR when it first came out but haven't used it in a while, so I didn't buy the Touch controller when it came out. Anyway I was just looking for an excuse to buy them so I guess this is it!

Return to “X Rebirth VR Edition”