Great station designer (use out of game?)

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RainerPrem
x4

Great station designer (use out of game?)

Post by RainerPrem » Thu, 28. Sep 17, 05:59

Hi,

I only hope I will not be forced to design fabulous stations while my freighters run into Xenon ambushes.

PLEASE, take this great piece of user interface out of the game and let me design the stations offline, importing them when needed.

cu
Rainer

Zetoss
x4

Post by Zetoss » Thu, 28. Sep 17, 06:53

Option 1: Let your manager build the station automatically depending on what would give profitsss.
Option 2: Save game, take all the time you want to design station and save the template, load game and load template. (edit: this hinges on the templates or plans or what they're called not being stuck inside each game save file, maybe someone knows how that works and can fill us in?)

Lc4Hunter
x4

Re: Great station designer - off game

Post by Lc4Hunter » Thu, 28. Sep 17, 07:10

RainerPrem wrote:Hi,

I only hope I will not be forced to design fabulous stations while my freighters run into Xenon ambushes.

PLEASE, take this great piece of user interface out of the game and let me design the stations offline, importing them when needed.

cu
Rainer
And why do you think your ships will permanently fly into xenon ambushes and you will never have the time to design a station?
I´m completely against this idea because ist destroys a part of the immersion in my optinion.
Building and of course designing stations is part of the game and it has to bei IN the game. Not sure if you´re able to pause while designing the station... however, it has to be in the game...

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Thu, 28. Sep 17, 09:34

At least at the moment, it i possible to pause the game and still design the station.
I think you are overestimating the time it needs to create/modify a station compared to how ofteh your assets get attacked by xenon.
01001100 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01110011 00101110 00101110 00101110

My art stuff

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Thu, 28. Sep 17, 10:35

linolafett wrote:At least at the moment, it i possible to pause the game and still design the station.
I think you are overestimating the time it needs to create/modify a station compared to how ofteh your assets get attacked by xenon.
Hi,

the "Xenon ambush" was only an exaggerated example of things that happen (especially in X:Rebirth) while I'm just doing something lengthy. I'm surely not the only one who wants to build esthetically compelling stations. Clicking under hard pressure doesn't go together well with this urge.

But being able to design while the game is paused is certainly enough.

cu
Rainer

RainerPrem
x4

Re: Great station designer - off game

Post by RainerPrem » Thu, 28. Sep 17, 10:37

Lc4Hunter wrote:
RainerPrem wrote:Hi,

cu
Rainer
And why do you think your ships will permanently fly into xenon ambushes and you will never have the time to design a station?
I´m completely against this idea because ist destroys a part of the immersion in my optinion.
Building and of course designing stations is part of the game and it has to bei IN the game. Not sure if you´re able to pause while designing the station... however, it has to be in the game...
Sure? Imagine you are not able to pause the game, took half an hour to design a nice station, and then you get hit by a missile.

cu
Rainer

Lc4Hunter
x4

Post by Lc4Hunter » Thu, 28. Sep 17, 10:45

Then you have chosen the wrong location to sit and design your station :wink:
Sorry, i don´t think your example is very realistically.
Btw such a situatuin should be a reason to think about how to avoid such situations ingame. It´s not the right way to solve this issue by exporting the function to an external program because it disturbs the gameflow.

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Thu, 28. Sep 17, 12:49

Hopefully Egosoft will allow modders to get involved modding aspects of the station blueprint designer anyway, so it's likely that some form of "import/export" will be available even if not officially :)

Also pausing as Lino suggests is already in the game seems like a perfect solution so no need to panic!

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Thu, 28. Sep 17, 13:16

Station blueprints seem like the perfect thing to be able to share on the Steam Workshop.

Just saying.

;) ;) @devs ;) ;)

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Thu, 28. Sep 17, 16:04

enenra wrote:Station blueprints seem like the perfect thing to be able to share on the Steam Workshop.
This is an excellent suggestion. Maybe even editable "build trees" can be shared so I could load them up and tweak ingame.

MFG

Ketraar

Len5

Post by Len5 » Thu, 28. Sep 17, 16:04

linolafett wrote:I think you are overestimating the time it needs to create/modify a station compared to how ofteh your assets get attacked by xenon.
When you already own many stations and ships, chances are big that your attention is requested somewhere else and you have to quickly abort your designing stage, then maybe prevent a ship from being destroyed and then start the design again from scratch.
Things like this have happened for me in other X games and it's not a fun element.

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Thu, 28. Sep 17, 16:33

Such an odd request... but it brought something cool from @CBJ, if designing can be complex (at least if you want to do supercool layouts) being able to pause the game while on it would be a great addition :)

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Thu, 28. Sep 17, 16:49

Is it possible to rotate the view? In the demo you could only see from top down - which would make it a bit difficult to create more vertical layouts.
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Thu, 28. Sep 17, 16:55

Killjaeden wrote:Is it possible to rotate the view? In the demo you could only see from top down - which would make it a bit difficult to create more vertical layouts.
Bernd said you can rotate the view.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Thu, 28. Sep 17, 17:01

Killjaeden wrote:Is it possible to rotate the view? In the demo you could only see from top down - which would make it a bit difficult to create more vertical layouts.
Passing on a reply from Devs: The camera can be rotated every direction, so rotating to a side view is possible. A reset button to return to full top-down view is also available.

Fedora01
x4

Post by Fedora01 » Fri, 29. Sep 17, 01:51

I would honestly assume that there'd be an option to minimize the station window and go about your business, but I don't see that as something that would need to be done to often.
Taking LU as an example, unless the OCV or Phanon Corp is running absolutely rampant, you're assets will stay fairly safe.
In space no-one can hear you scream unless you're transmitting on the right radio frequency.

It was about this time I realized I might have too many tabs open.

Return to “X4: Foundations”