Request: Quality of life fixes

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

chew-ie
x4

Re: Request: Quality of life fixes

Post by chew-ie » Tue, 2. Apr 24, 08:42

user1679 wrote:
Tue, 2. Apr 24, 07:57
Adding another: Allow selecting ships added by mods during custom game creation.

I know mods aren't loaded at this point so it may be more difficult than it's worth but just thought I'd throw it out anyway. Maybe during startup the game could check the extensions folder for any mods with size_s, size_m, size_l, size_xl folders in the assets folder and add a check labeled "include in custom gamestart" for those mods on the extensions screen.

Providing a checkbox would allow users to not include mods that do more than add ships if they wanted to.

If the mods are built correctly, this works. Test e.g. the Teladi Kea.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

user1679

Post by user1679 » Tue, 2. Apr 24, 09:12

chew-ie wrote:
Tue, 2. Apr 24, 08:42
user1679 wrote:
Adding another: Allow selecting ships added by mods during custom game creation.

I know mods aren't loaded at this point so it may be more difficult than it's worth but just thought I'd throw it out anyway. Maybe during startup the game could check the extensions folder for any mods with size_s, size_m, size_l, size_xl folders in the assets folder and add a check labeled "include in custom gamestart" for those mods on the extensions screen.

Providing a checkbox would allow users to not include mods that do more than add ships if they wanted to.

I guess it depends on what "correctly" is. I have SVE installed and the Sokotra Raider is not available in the menu but it is available in the game, spawned as a derelict ship to find.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Tue, 2. Apr 24, 14:06

user1679 wrote:
Tue, 2. Apr 24, 09:12
chew-ie wrote:
user1679 wrote:

I guess it depends on what "correctly" is. I have SVE installed and the Sokotra Raider is not available in the menu but it is available in the game, spawned as a derelict ship to find.
That's what I was trying to say - there are a lot of different ship mods out there - with varying quality (not RE of the ship but the technical implementation). So for any ship which doesn't appear in e.g. the custom start (or doesn't work correctly in other ways) users should contact the MOD AUTHOR to fix that (or provide a fix). It's not something Egosoft can do anything about - because their system would work as you want it to. If the mods would follow the "rules". (my guess is there are blueprints missing)

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

user1679

Post by user1679 » Wed, 3. Apr 24, 06:29

chew-ie wrote:
Tue, 2. Apr 24, 14:06
user1679 wrote:
Tue, 2. Apr 24, 09:12
chew-ie wrote:

That's what I was trying to say - there are a lot of different ship mods out there - with varying quality (not RE of the ship but the technical implementation). So for any ship which doesn't appear in e.g. the custom start (or doesn't work correctly in other ways) users should contact the MOD AUTHOR to fix that (or provide a fix). It's not something Egosoft can do anything about - because their system would work as you want it to. If the mods would follow the "rules". (my guess is there are blueprints missing)
So I just looked and the blueprints are there, but some ships (including the one I mentioned) are excluded with this tag: nocustomgamestart

Zodiak1289
x4

Post by Zodiak1289 » Thu, 4. Apr 24, 22:04

What i woud want is a list of task to show what you can still do to increase your custom game start Budget.
There is so much stuff and no where to look up what you allready done

gbjbaanb
x3tc

Post by gbjbaanb » Thu, 4. Apr 24, 22:12

The one QoL feature I'd like is to filter ships ont he main owned ship asset list to hide some of them.

Right now, that list can hide ships that are assigned ot other things - like a station or fleet, but often I have severla ships doing their own thing (eg mining) that are stuck there. I cannot send them away to a "not important" list. I would be happy enough if there was a flag on each ship I could tick to hide them from all lists except a big "all ships" one.

CulunTse
x4

Post by CulunTse » Fri, 5. Apr 24, 00:20

I just remembered another request:

1: An in-game mute-button for the "elevator music" in the ship dealership.

That awfully short "duuuuw, duuw di duw" tune literally invaded my dreams, as I spend hours around my PHQ ship dealership putting shipmods on the L ships that pass by (reaver, polisher, digger for miners, etc).
My suggestion would be a jukebox model next to the workbench, that functions as "music off/on" switch, similar to the Astrid bedroom lights.
Alternatively, I will also settle for dropping the elevator music completely, in favour of the sector music (as if it is a ship cockpit)

I hang around the Dealership for hours, since I don't want to mess up the extensive repeat-orders many of my ships are on.
I can't order them to "dock and wait" at my convenience, I have to catch them as they come by "naturally", or else laboriously redo the order cycle from scratch.
I consider it my effective personal office, and have roleplayed sitting down in the waiting area for a break, and often step out to see the S/M ships take of and land (and get away from the music), before opening up the map screen again.

I fact, my wish may hint at another request entirely:
2: a way to temporarily suspend repeat orders, without losing them.
Either by a kind of save/load/copy/paste mechanism (also good for adding additional ships to an existing "trade route"),
Or via a "temporary, priority order queue", above, and separate from, the repeat-queue like how there is also a "failed orders" block in the UI).

That way I could:
  • order a repeat-orders trader to go to dock for a refit
  • tell a loot-collector scout to dock at a nearby carrier or supply ship for repairs (my Xenon-gate Pegasus collectors often take a beating before fleeing, but won't go to the supply ship stationed in that sector, despite "high" resupply setting, even when down to 15% hull)
  • tell a miner that just destroyed some Kha'ak (load-out > laser tower > 15x deploy) to re-collect the towers and the loot
  • tell a low priority trader to make a brief diversion to ferry some extra buildings materials to a station I just planned. Especially if it is on the way.
  • etc
Right now, all of those require manually pilotting the ships, taking up the most precious resource in the game: player minutes (especially since I have young children, every second of gaming time is worth more than gold to me)

---

Edit to add: the current "which game phase do you enjoy most" poll caused me to think about missing late-game tooling:

3: ware blacklists for assigned ships
I want to force my manager to use their slow, underfitted vultures to fetch water and energy; those cheap wares that pirates don't bother with. Then, the expensive boas with the Split mk4 engines should be used for the medical supplies and the weapon components.

4: more intelligent use of assigned ships
My Grand Exchange hull parts dab (50k hull / hour) has a mix of mercury, incarcatura and vultures assigned.
It saddens me every time the Incarcatura is shipping 200 hull parts, while a fellow mercury is "looking for trades", and a next door build site has a request for 6000 hull parts.

user1679

Post by user1679 » Fri, 5. Apr 24, 07:07

gbjbaanb wrote:
Thu, 4. Apr 24, 22:12
The one QoL feature I'd like is to filter ships ont he main owned ship asset list to hide some of them.

Right now, that list can hide ships that are assigned ot other things - like a station or fleet, but often I have severla ships doing their own thing (eg mining) that are stuck there. I cannot send them away to a "not important" list. I would be happy enough if there was a flag on each ship I could tick to hide them from all lists except a big "all ships" one.
Custom tabs lets you add three tabs to the map info screen and then move or copy ships or objects to the tabs.

user1679

Post by user1679 » Sat, 6. Apr 24, 10:34

QoL Request: Filter for accepted missions screen

Similar to how the personnel management screen lets you show skill for specific role (eg: captain) or workplace (eg: ship), it would be nice if we could filter the mission log by the following:

1. Faction
2. Mission type (eg: combat, item delivery, taxi, construction, etc.)

I often have a lot of missions collected for various factions and there doesn't seem to be any specific way they are sorted. I will have a TEL combat mission at the top of the list, two ARG combat missions in the middle and a bunch more TEL at the bottom. It would be nice to be able to see missions for a specific faction and also separately a specific mission type.
Last edited by user1679 on Sun, 7. Apr 24, 03:16, edited 1 time in total.

Zodiak1289
x4

Post by Zodiak1289 » Sun, 7. Apr 24, 02:46

user1679 wrote:
Sat, 6. Apr 24, 10:34
QoL Request: Filter for accepted missions screen

Similar to how the personnel management screen lets you show skill for specific role (eg: captain) or workplace (eg: ship), it would be nice if we could filter the mission log by the following:

1. Faction
2. Mission type (eg: combat, item delivery, taxi, construction, etc.)

I often have a lot of missions colected for various factions and there doesn't seem to be any specific way they are sorted. I will have a TEL combat mission at the top of the list, two ARG combat missions in the middle and a bunch more TEL at the bottom. It would be nice to be able to see missions for a specific faction and also separately a specific mission type.
I woud add to that, sort by Reward, if you look for something like 3-4 star Seminars

MightyOdin
x3tc

Post by MightyOdin » Sun, 7. Apr 24, 02:57

I would like to see a easy way to turn off all turrets on a ship with them, all from M ship to XL. As some times on dont wanna destroy targets, and just wanna cripple themao it often get a mess trying to turn them of off mid battle. So an option to bind em to secondary weapons or somthing would have been super Quality of life. :roll:

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Sun, 7. Apr 24, 07:42

MightyOdin wrote:
Sun, 7. Apr 24, 02:57
I would like to see a easy way to turn off all turrets on a ship with them, all from M ship to XL. As some times on dont wanna destroy targets, and just wanna cripple themao it often get a mess trying to turn them of off mid battle. So an option to bind em to secondary weapons or somthing would have been super Quality of life. :roll:
Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean, that's already in the game. Under Settings -> Controls, in the Misc section, there's the option to Toggle Turret Arming, which turns all turrets on/off.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

MightyOdin
x3tc

Post by MightyOdin » Mon, 8. Apr 24, 14:05

Nanook wrote:
Sun, 7. Apr 24, 07:42
MightyOdin wrote:
Sun, 7. Apr 24, 02:57
Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean, that's already in the game. Under Settings -> Controls, in the Misc section, there's the option to Toggle Turret Arming, which turns all turrets on/off.
OH thank you i didnt know, :D now i am happy camper. :D

user1679

Post by user1679 » Mon, 8. Apr 24, 19:53

Another request: Separate audio sliders

I'm thankful the music is on a separate slider because I like to have it low as background filler. It would also be nice to have other sounds separated, weapons can be very loud at times but turning down the effect slider also removes engine sounds, footsteps and explosions. It would be nice to have:

* weapons (turrets)
* weapons (mains)
* engines
* effects (such as explosions, footsteps, repair laser)

user1679

Post by user1679 » Sat, 13. Apr 24, 06:32

I think I might have mentioned this a long time ago but I would really like to see a "Use..." option for gates. Sometimes I just want to send a small fleet through a gate but have them stop on the other side. Having to use "explore" and "cancel" on a sector you haven't discovered yet is annoying. But even if you have discovered the sector, adding a "Use..." option would be interesting along with "Repeat orders".

"Use..." would send the ships through the gate up to 10 km on the other side where they would wait if no other command is queued. If you added a bunch of "Use..." commands for various gates along with a "repeat orders", it could make for an interesting patrol that "peeks" into neighboring sectors to possibly fend off incoming ships before they have time to gather for an invasion. Optionally there could be a "wait time" slider that is from 0 to 60 seconds (default 10) which would cause a delay before executing the next queued order if there is one.

ajime
x4

Post by ajime » Sun, 14. Apr 24, 10:14

Enable player override on AI stuck in Critical operation in high attention is at the top of my list. It's ridiculous having fighter fail to dock 100x on the Honshu due to the sail hit box.

Blitz4
x4

Post by Blitz4 » Sun, 14. Apr 24, 10:45

screamingiraffe wrote:
Tue, 16. Jan 24, 20:59
1. Descriptive text added to all items, approximately half the items in the game have no descriptive text.
2. Laser towers sticking to ships, especially if you're not moving which then causes all other Laser Towers being deployed to stop deploying and become stuck.
3. Laser towers the player is shooting are immune to damage, restarting the game seems to be the only remedy
4. Loss of control of the player's ship if a laser tower or any other object is closely behind the player's ship. Speed and direction controls are all disabled and the ship just continues to drift in the current heading for quite some time.
5. Station civilian criminals are often immune to damage, this happens perhaps 25% to 50% of the time, a random but common event.
6. AI enemy combatants do not flee from combat, every fight is 'to the death' - perhaps this is by design
7. When AI entities report a player's 'criminal' activity, the logs and/or voice-over do not inform the player where that activity took place or with which combatants. 'who, what, when, and where'
there's a minimal log entry that the event took place and there was a reputation reduction, but not much else. Pausing the game and searching everywhere is painful/not fun
8. An in-game tutorial for station and sector management would be great. How station modules work, how sector ownership works, the basics of station production, and lastly the mechanics of defending a station
currently you have to meta-game (learn from outside the game) for each of those since trial and error doesn't quite work out in the game. Building something as an experiment and then having to deconstruct it (blow it up, with no materials returned) is painful.

please note: none of the above are due to mods, no mods are being used.
9. have different gpu settings for being docked vs in ship and load them upon takeoff & landing.
10. allow multiple gpu settings be changed, to change AA and FSR options simultaneously without having 2 loading screens.

Return to “X4: Foundations”