TrackIR - Usually overlooked, but totally relevant!

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Jawms
x4

TrackIR - Usually overlooked, but totally relevant!

Post by Jawms » Mon, 18. Sep 17, 21:35

As a user of TrackIR is both x3TC and AP I was very upset at the lack of trackIR support in XR. The support in the earlier titles was minimal at best, but it did allow me to streamline most of my controls to a Logitech 3D Pro and a keyboard..

I have not seen any confirmation of TrackIR's inclusion, whether yay or nay, but have seen the "No" for VR. In my extremely unprofessional opinion, it's easier to implement than VR. It just slaves the view controls to the TrackIR inputs..

More people than ever have it because of it's absolutely beautiful execution in Elite Dangerous. I believe it would be a lovely addition because of the newly crafted cockpits.

Don't worry about walking around, because most TrackIR users have a quick keybind to pause it for games like Arma where flying a helicopter and walking around happen often enough. (or just disable it the instant we are no longer a pilot..)

Thanks for any attention this receives,
An old fan.

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Tue, 19. Sep 17, 11:02

Hello,

There should be support for trackIR in XR (nonVR) since XR 4.10...
Did you try it and it isn't working in 4.21 ?

skiiwa
xr

Post by skiiwa » Tue, 19. Sep 17, 21:49

I just wanted to second the track IR for your new game.

MPX10L
x4

Post by MPX10L » Wed, 20. Sep 17, 06:37

+1
But I am using Free Track. So it would be nice if that worked too. ^^

Jawms
x4

Post by Jawms » Sat, 23. Sep 17, 07:46

rboerdijk wrote:Hello,

IT IS!? I think I might be trying XR again! I kept checking back, but it was never on the faq. Still isn't actually.. May wish to check that!

https://www.egosoft.com/support/faq/faq ... version=10

I last checked back in.. July I believe? Not sure when 4.10 was released, but the FAQ may need some updating ;)

I'm off to re-DL Rebirth!

Thanks for the info!

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Sat, 23. Sep 17, 10:36

Jawms wrote:

IT IS!? I think I might be trying XR again!
Thanks for asking about the topic :)
Please let us know how you get on in this thread for TrackIR/FreeTrack feedback.

Silla
xr

Post by Silla » Sat, 23. Sep 17, 15:11

What about face tracking software ..you only need light and a good webcam. It might be less responsive but should work good as well?

https://youtu.be/riuP_yhAgWc

Commander_K
x4

Post by Commander_K » Sat, 23. Sep 17, 17:43

X:R supports FreeTrack, so as long as the face tracking software supports the FreeTrack protocol, you're good to go.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 23. Sep 17, 21:30

Jawms wrote:

IT IS!? I think I might be trying XR again! I kept checking back, but it was never on the faq. Still isn't actually.. May wish to check that!

https://www.egosoft.com/support/faq/faq ... version=10

I last checked back in.. July I believe? Not sure when 4.10 was released, but the FAQ may need some updating ;)
Updated. :)
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Sun, 24. Sep 17, 10:33

Silla wrote:What about face tracking software ..you only need light and a good webcam. It might be less responsive but should work good as well?
My experience with Facetracking is that it doesn't work that well, it works yes but it is slow to respond, a pain to setup, highly inaccurate and you need a webcam capable of a fast refresh rate. TrackIR works much better but that does come at a price.

If you have the hardware already go for it, give it a try. If not hmmm I'd go for a TrackIR solution.

Another interesting point worth making is since moving to a large 40" 4K PC monitor I find myself using TrackIR much less I guess because my FoV is filled already.

Return to “X4: Foundations”