Anyone else concerned about the lack of a main plot?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Axeface
x4

Anyone else concerned about the lack of a main plot?

Post by Axeface » Tue, 30. Oct 18, 05:20

The plots in the X games, while often fraught with issues, at least gave us a glimpse of who the factions in the games are. The main plot in Rebirth gave us a lot of insight into who PMC and HOA are, without the plot the factions would just be a name - we would have no reason to dislike PMC for example. The X3 Reunion plot introduced us to the conniving ways of the Paranid, and the Terran Conflict plot showed us just how xenophobic the Terrans are.

X4 apparently doesnt have a main plot, just procedural ones for wars and small ones for things like the headquarters. Is anyone else a bit concerned about this?
This might effect new players a lot more than people who have played the other games - we can draw on our experiences from prevous games to make judgements (although this isnt ideal because X4 has NEW factions, such as 'Antigone Republic), but to new players the Paranid are just gruff sounding aliens and without a plot there is no way to show them what they are like.

How will a new player even know what the Xenon are? Or the Kha'ak?

Without a plot to guide us things might just feel a bit, gamey. Just wondering what others think. And maybe they have found a way to include this information somewhere.

BlackDog
x4

Re: Anyone else concerned about the lack of a main plot?

Post by BlackDog » Tue, 30. Oct 18, 05:24

I recall them saying there is a plot, it just does not throw you right into it and youd need to find it yourself.

Personaly to me, ive never really played the X games for their plot

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Tue, 30. Oct 18, 05:36

BlackDog wrote:
Tue, 30. Oct 18, 05:24
I recall them saying there is a plot, it just does not throw you right into it and youd need to find it yourself.

Personaly to me, ive never really played the X games for their plot
Says it here https://youtu.be/N6s9sXjqCME?t=340
And yeh, I havent played them 'for the plot' either, but I did play the plots and they are the main way I build my opinions of the factions.

And on a completely unrelated note, the music in that video is incredible.

LittleBird

Post by LittleBird » Tue, 30. Oct 18, 08:22

The main plots of X2 and X3 showed us an evolving universe. Especially X2 and X3:Reunion where you witnessed major developements of a galactical scale.
So without a main plot this experience will suffer for sure. :(
Ich bin für die Einführung von Ironie- und Sarkasmustags.
Alle Klarheiten beseitigt!

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Tue, 30. Oct 18, 08:28

Nope. I've never even found the main plots compelling enough to finish before.
***modified***

HellR1der
x4

Post by HellR1der » Tue, 30. Oct 18, 09:57

Axeface wrote:
Tue, 30. Oct 18, 05:20
and the Terran Conflict plot showed us just how xenophobic the Terrans are.
what exactly part of the plot showed u terran xenophoby? thaere was only "xenonphoby" :)
Мы не ищем легких путей! (с) Кто-то о разобранной ради добычи оттуда борона верфи

Kantall
x4

Post by Kantall » Tue, 30. Oct 18, 10:36

I have very little interest in a plot tbh. If one was to be included I might eventually get around to completing it, but I've always viewed them as extended tutorials.

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Tue, 30. Oct 18, 11:20

LameFox wrote:
Tue, 30. Oct 18, 08:28
Nope. I've never even found the main plots compelling enough to finish before.
This for me too. I'd rather get thrown into a game start in a particular scenario, then be given free roam of what to do entirely on my own :) I am glad there will be a "story mission" of sorts for the PHQ though, as that will make it feel all the more special.
Admiral of the Fleet.

spacecoyote99
x4

Post by spacecoyote99 » Tue, 30. Oct 18, 11:29

First, yes the plots were never very interesting compared to building your own world. That said I agree that they can help the world feel a little more "lived in."

The way I understood is that while there is no main plot, there will be some smaller unique plots for most game starts, giving you background on the character and their environment. I imagine there will be a Paranid start which gets you involved in the civil war, a Teladi start where you're taught that greed is good, and some kind of Argon start focusing on what? Rebuilding the Argon empire? Anyway a lot of potential for flavor without any singular main plot.

In addition there will be a kind of main plot for the PHQ which may be something like the old plots for PHQ/Hub?

Hector0x
x3tc

Post by Hector0x » Tue, 30. Oct 18, 12:44

I do agree that having some kind of context is preferable.
But ES should rely on the strength of their games, which is the sandbox. Traditional storytelling is not one of them imo. It is usually better to do stories through the eyes and by interaction with strong characters. Otherwise the classic linear plot lacks drama and feels mediocre (again, just my opinion)

If storytelling gets a higher priority, the sandbox part will be shackled or stripped of development resources which are better spent here.

But sandboxes have generally great potential for emergent gameplay. This is the way to go for X.
World/lore building can happen in many ways. Visuals and gameplay can tell stories too. If the player feels uncomfortable he can probably identify the bad guys himself. XR's DeVries system is a good example too. You could feel their struggle through the economic situation.
Last edited by Hector0x on Tue, 30. Oct 18, 12:49, edited 2 times in total.

Cabrelbeuk
x4

Post by Cabrelbeuk » Tue, 30. Oct 18, 12:47

I have absolutely no concern about it.

I am actually quite happy that they didn't spent resources on this and focused on the sandbox instead.

Smart move from Egosoft on this one.
AMD R7 2700X 3.7GHz - GTX 1070 Ti 8Go Asus cerberus - 16Go RAM 3200MHz - Asus Prime X470-Pro - LG 32" 4K 60Hz - SSD Samsung Evo850 512 GB - HDD Toshiba 2 To 7200 Tr/min - Onkyo HTS-7800 Dolby Atmos 5.1.2

Artean
x4

Post by Artean » Tue, 30. Oct 18, 12:54

No, quite the contrary. The X games have never been about plots or story telling for me. It is the sandbox that draws me in and I'm glad that Egosoft are focusing on that.

I would prefer if lore would be told through other means than quests/missions, as station news/bulletins, encyclopedia and such.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - D.N.A

Player
x4

Post by Player » Tue, 30. Oct 18, 13:08

I do not mind having a main plot, I love the sandbox mode of the X series, but well-crafted and diverse missions I think are important.

Dreez
x4

Post by Dreez » Tue, 30. Oct 18, 13:49

The only thing that conserns me is the amount of brats that doesn't understand what the X-games are about, and instead believe they're some kind of rpg :lol: .
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

Namyboy
x4

Post by Namyboy » Tue, 30. Oct 18, 14:18

The Plot itself had for me only one purpose in game and thats to get the player some Income and new Ship´s and Ultimate Gear. Like the Xenon Hub or the Player HQ.

But i like the way Egosoft is going about it at this game. The Plot itself took a long time to Complete and the Hub Quest ...you need how much was it ? Toons of Microchips in the 100k´s and more of it. If i remember right one lab would have max 250 in stock. Well as long there is no Feature behind a Plot its ok.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 30. Oct 18, 16:56

X3:TC didn't had any main plot and yet it was nice.

However it seems that except HQ plot, X4 might lack any plot even the minor one.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Tue, 30. Oct 18, 17:33

Now that there are humanoid NPCs, what Egosoft could try instead of regular plots is something that would remind us of GTA V - randomly found NPCs (strangers and freaks mission system - you either come across them or not) with pre-scripted little storylines that would tell their story in which you could get the glimpse of how the X universe works in general.

Of course, this would require quality animations, excellent voice acting, and a workaround for the unpredictability of the universe (so that if a station happen to blow up, the quest NPC will reappear in another place instead of being gone forever, along with its storyplot).

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Tue, 30. Oct 18, 17:37

I rather not have half the universe locked out at the start as in XR. I'd like to jump into my first scout ship and discover the whole map before doing the missions. So this will be a plus for me in X4.

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Tue, 30. Oct 18, 17:49

No.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Tue, 30. Oct 18, 18:09

My only fear is new players and teaching them the game. If they offer some basic direction to help them then I don't think it's an issue.

This why I really really hope the devs given copies of the games to people who have never played X games or hardly played them. Who have a really clear thought of mind what it be like in the shoes of a new player, etc. Without the understanding and direction a lot of people will fail.

In fact I read something a while back talked about the physiology of people who game in a Sandbox game without any direction and how so many people get lost. It even happen in Minecraft people got upset for a long time because there was no direction to "beat the game" I know it makes no sense at all but there are people who require that accomplishment and goals.

For me personally though I love the new idea though :P

Return to “X4: Foundations”