It seems is not that useless: Dragon vs Argon Destroyer

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

martinld2000

It seems is not that useless: Dragon vs Argon Destroyer

Post by martinld2000 » Sat, 4. Jul 20, 07:38

I few days ago I uploaded a video about a fighter taking single handed a Split Destroyer, then did the same with the Cobra.

But I thought the Dragon was to weak in shields to hold enough time to find the black spot of the Destroyer, so I tried to use strafe = lateral propulsors to dodge around.

The results are inconclusive since is not a one to one combat, but interesting non the lesss.

Dragon vs Destroyer
https://youtu.be/ooGibChUeRE

Dragon vs Thre fighters / 2 times
https://youtu.be/_QANFJ3qkeI

KiwiNZ
x4

Re: It seems is not that useless: Dragon vs Argon Destroyer

Post by KiwiNZ » Sat, 4. Jul 20, 07:45

Due to its six guns, the Dragon actually makes a quite good cap ship breaker.Prior to building myself a Rattlesnake, it would be my preferred ship against Xenon K as well as any pirate destroyers. For Xenon I, I would need special load out, as the Dragon on its own would not be able to break through the shields. So a couple of Thermals are required to destroy the shield generators.

capitalduty

Post by capitalduty » Sat, 4. Jul 20, 12:05

Dragon is great at killing fast small craft but its a fliying cofin most times, I watched how a single eclipse fighter took it down in seconds, specially when armed with space shotguns. The other drawback is that in hands of AI doesnt dock fast enough to get repairs. In conclusion great for a small patrol or player ship, sucks as fleet support vessel, Cobra in this regard is way better.

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Sat, 4. Jul 20, 12:37

Cobra is the only larger SPLIT ship (bar the carrier) that has any qualities as a non-player ship. The others have too little shielding and the AI does not inflict sufficient damage to make up for it. In regards to AI ships, Shields > weapons

martinld2000

Post by martinld2000 » Sat, 4. Jul 20, 14:54

I do not intend to justify the Dragon or IA, but in the first part of the video i put the pilot level 1 to control the ship and took down three fighters very fast. maybe luck. but surprised me.

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Sun, 5. Jul 20, 02:35

What I do is go for their engines first, once they can't move I go for their L turrets, it is boring to kill a destroyer with a Frigate due to cap ship shields being so large, so in those cases I just let them served for my destroyers to come and destroy the defenceless enemy.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 5. Jul 20, 11:56

ezra-r wrote:
Sun, 5. Jul 20, 02:35
it is boring to kill a destroyer with a Frigate due to cap ship shields being so large
What is the "corvette" / "frigate" classification? Both M, but you can't dock S to corvette?

I have met lone Xenon K's.
I can piggy-bag on their tailpipe quite easily; just two weak turrets to take out.
Every attempt to shoot at other parts has got me shot, so I rather hide in the back.
Yes, it is boring (DR with 5 Tau, 1 Ion, 2 Flak), so I deploy Lasertowers occasionally.

FRF's "high preset" for Dragon Raider had 6 Torpedo Launchers. Felt like a hoax; didn't bite.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sun, 5. Jul 20, 13:33

For anyone wanting to see the Dragon Raider solo a Rattlesnake...
https://youtu.be/IzPK6vmxYZE?t=4350

This was done using only SPL Mk3 Combat Engines and also without any ship modifications installed on the Dragon Raider. It also was using around 3.00 release version so the aiming of everything was kind of wonky, including my plasma guns being locked forward.

This shows the Dragon Raider killing a lot of Xenon fighters.
https://youtu.be/C2QtdbXBGxk

This was with SPL Mk4 Combat Engines and also modified chassis and engines with exceptional mods. Pulse Laser weapons only without modifications installed on them. Again this is footage from an older version so weapon aim was a lot more iffy.
jlehtone wrote:
Sun, 5. Jul 20, 11:56
FRF's "high preset" for Dragon Raider had 6 Torpedo Launchers. Felt like a hoax; didn't bite.
Seems to be kind of random what it thinks the loadout should be. I have seen high preset not even fill all turrets slots.

Return to “X4: Foundations”