More ship skins

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

MightyOdin
x3tc

More ship skins

Post by MightyOdin » Thu, 2. May 24, 22:10

Hello there all.

Would it be posible to get more ship paints into vanilla game ? it is always sadening to modify the game to get cool ship paints. please can this be implimented. :)
As i am no mod person and i hope am not alone and seeing some thinsg are not avaleble in modified game.

sh1pman
x4

Re: More ship skins

Post by sh1pman » Fri, 3. May 24, 07:16

I just wish paint jobs weren’t limited. It doesn’t make sense that I can’t paint as many ships as I want using any pattern that I know of. A shipyard can build a ship, but not paint it the way I want simply because I ran out of.. what exactly? Ink? Pattern licenses?

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Fri, 3. May 24, 12:51

Custom start exports can be edited to grant any paintjob in any number without getting a modified game. I usually use those to give me all of the 190+ skins with an amount of 10.000. (details in my signature, the "Feature request" link).

Obviously, this needs a fresh start though.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Fri, 3. May 24, 20:47

MightyOdin wrote:
Thu, 2. May 24, 22:10
Hello there all.

Would it be posible to get more ship paints into vanilla game ? it is always sadening to modify the game to get cool ship paints. please can this be implimented. :)
As i am no mod person and i hope am not alone and seeing some thinsg are not avaleble in modified game.
There are few mods that add a lot of skins.

Caedes91
x4

Post by Caedes91 » Sat, 4. May 24, 00:09

No dev response since years on this issue. High chance, that it will never happen. My guess is, that they want to monetize these one-time-use consumables somehow.

Please, why not give the player the ability to choose the color directly from the shipbuilding menu and save under loadouts? Buy or earn the colors ingame once, then use infinitely.

Sounds stupid, but the current state:
Build death star laser ships, but can't paint a ship at the same time.
Have to farm one -from a limited selection- at a time through lengthy guild missions, then apply to each ship one by one. Then they are gone from inventory. Want your mining ships and patrol ships to have different colors instead of the boring black...Too bad

Pure white terran ships to go with their white turrets: Impossible, because every white paintjob is locked behind ventures.

The majority of the different paintjobs are locked behind some worthless multiplayer mode, which has been dead for years. So no access to the them for the vanilla player.
The only way to get them without modifying a savegame is to use cheat engine. Once 7.0 comes out, ask someone to make a cheat table, which adds them into the player inventory.

gbjbaanb
x3tc

Post by gbjbaanb » Sat, 4. May 24, 01:36

Frankly, mod the game. You don't lose anything that affects your enjoyment doing so. (my experience of this is that if you do mod, some of them add paint ot the trader menu and suddenly you can get 1000s fo paint jobs in your inventory that clutters it up massively. Pick a few good ones and skip the rest)

I see why its the way it is - the paint jobs are effectively using the crafting mechanism, and that requires resources to modify your ship. They could drop packs of 100 or 1000 f the paint job to mitigate this somewhat, but I doubt paint will ever become part of the blueprint build system.

MightyOdin
x3tc

Post by MightyOdin » Sat, 4. May 24, 13:49

Panos wrote:
Fri, 3. May 24, 20:47
MightyOdin wrote:
Hello there all.

i know that but i state, in my post i dont want to use mods as i like to have a un modified game to my game can do online stuff and all be okay.

Caedes91
x4

Post by Caedes91 » Sat, 4. May 24, 16:58

gbjbaanb wrote:
Sat, 4. May 24, 01:36
Frankly, mod the game. You don't lose anything that affects your enjoyment doing so. (my experience of this is that if you do mod, some of them add paint ot the trader menu and suddenly you can get 1000s fo paint jobs in your inventory that clutters it up massively. Pick a few good ones and skip the rest)

I see why its the way it is - the paint jobs are effectively using the crafting mechanism, and that requires resources to modify your ship. They could drop packs of 100 or 1000 f the paint job to mitigate this somewhat, but I doubt paint will ever become part of the blueprint build system.
Except you lose the validity for tech support. Even if your mod(s) has nothing to do with your issue/bug. They don't accept modified saves in any capacity. This is however understandle to a certain degree.

Most importantly, you lose the right to participate in any kind of multiplayer, if it ever comes out, no matter how minor your mod is. More than a year ago, Egosoft grandiously announced to sign certain popular mods, so saves do not get the "modified" tag of shame. Nothing has happened, not even minor visual mods with no impact on gameplay/balance - in a singleplayer sandbox game mind you -

The idea of holding paintjobs hostage, just to force people playing some kind of multiplayer mode -that you fail to release since 3 freaking YEARS- which in turn forces players to abstain from even essential qol or visual mods is just scummy.

Make a fun game mode and people will play it on their own. Do not lock content from the singleplayer WITHOUT offering an alternative to obtain them for YEARS!
Yasur cough...Aldrin/Pearl paintjobs...cough....cough....

The mentality of "Just mod your game, no big deal..." can be turned on the devs the same way: Then why you don't just add the ability and convenience of just painting your ships during building? Should be easy even for a single freelancer.

Zloth2
x4

Post by Zloth2 » Sat, 4. May 24, 22:09

I don't get it, either. They could really use some UI changes to deal with the huge list of paint jobs you can potentially own (sort by name, brightness, reflectivity, predominant color's wavelength, ...) but anything is better than having all those nice paintjobs locked off. Getting those paint jobs is the only mod I ever got.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home
and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here! It's wondrous, with
treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross, but it's not for the
timid." ---- Q

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sat, 4. May 24, 23:36

Zloth2 wrote:
Sat, 4. May 24, 22:09
I don't get it, either. They could really use some UI changes to deal with the huge list of paint jobs you can potentially own (sort by name, brightness, reflectivity, predominant color's wavelength, ...) but anything is better than having all those nice paintjobs locked off. Getting those paint jobs is the only mod I ever got.
Like on so many other topics around Egosoft and X4 I gave up on that one as well. That harmful decision to use paint jobs as bait for a pseudo multiplayer I consider the main problem in the X4 design process - as this has deep roots and they never backed out of it. Instead they wasted a lot more time down that pseudo multiplayer route.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Mon, 6. May 24, 10:18

MightyOdin wrote:
Sat, 4. May 24, 13:49
Panos wrote:
Fri, 3. May 24, 20:47
MightyOdin wrote:
Hello there all.

i know that but i state, in my post i dont want to use mods as i like to have a un modified game to my game can do online stuff and all be okay.
I am sure Egosoft had stated some time ago that cosmetics etc shouldn't set the game as "modded".
Maybe someone with more knowledge can help?

Return to “X4: Foundations”