Poll-Suggestion: Put the "jet engine flame" that the boost uses onto travel drive.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Do we want the jet engine flame on travel drive too?

Jet flame on engines.
38%
No.
63%

Total votes: 16

Omni-Orb
x4

Poll-Suggestion: Put the "jet engine flame" that the boost uses onto travel drive.

Post by Omni-Orb » Sun, 5. May 24, 11:26

I suggest we should put the jet flame that the boost uses on the engines visual to travel drive too.

I play in 3rd person perspective a lot and i think this will make the game more awesome.

What do people here think?
Credence follow stars.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Poll-Suggestion: Put the "jet engine flame" that the boost uses onto travel drive.

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 5. May 24, 12:55

The effect should only be there while still accelerating and not when the ship has reached steady speed in any travel mode.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Omni-Orb
x4

Re: Poll-Suggestion: Put the "jet engine flame" that the boost uses onto travel drive.

Post by Omni-Orb » Sun, 5. May 24, 12:58

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sun, 5. May 24, 12:55
The effect should only be there while still accelerating and not when the ship has reached steady speed in any travel mode.
Currently it isn't there when accelerating in travel mode.

Any upgrade on this would be good, it still looks really good when boosting i think it would add a lot to have it there always in travel drive.

I can agree to it being there only when the ship accelerates especially when changing directions while drifting, would look good :)
Credence follow stars.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Sun, 5. May 24, 13:33

I don't play in 3rd person (I find it hugely unimmersive).
1. Please do more on NPC civilian/uniform variety, and bio customisations, Devs.
2. Stations need sirens when enemy is close in numbers.
Yes, for immersion. Thankyou ahead of time.

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."

Omni-Orb
x4

Post by Omni-Orb » Sun, 5. May 24, 13:42

Socratatus wrote:
Sun, 5. May 24, 13:33
I like seeing the ships i fly, i fly a lot of different ships and switch often, it it much more immersive with it in my opinion.
Credence follow stars.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sun, 5. May 24, 15:44

Socratatus wrote:
Yeah, flying around in 3rd person just feels really arcadish to me.

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Sun, 5. May 24, 16:23

Falcrack wrote:
Sun, 5. May 24, 15:44
Socratatus wrote:
Yeah, flying around in 3rd person just feels really arcadish to me.
Same for me.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Sun, 5. May 24, 17:15

Omni-Orb wrote:
Sun, 5. May 24, 13:42
Socratatus wrote:
I like seeing the ships i fly, i fly a lot of different ships and switch often, it it much more immersive with it in my opinion.
I simply look at other ships I see flying around. It's like in a car.

But I understand a lot of players love flying 20 feet above and behind themselves. But it's fine.
1. Please do more on NPC civilian/uniform variety, and bio customisations, Devs.
2. Stations need sirens when enemy is close in numbers.
Yes, for immersion. Thankyou ahead of time.

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."

Omni-Orb
x4

Post by Omni-Orb » Sun, 5. May 24, 17:24

Socratatus wrote:
Sun, 5. May 24, 17:15
I simply look at other ships I see flying around. It's like in a car.

But I understand a lot of players love flying 20 feet above and behind themselves. But it's fine.
Its like a cinematic mindset like the F6 button.
Credence follow stars.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Sun, 5. May 24, 19:09

Not only would it look cooler, but it'd also more immediately and directly communicate to the player that a ship they're looking at is engaging its travel drive, which is important, time-critical information in many of situations. So there's a functional, gameplay-relevant side to it, as well.

Ideally, travel drive should look visually distinct from boost, and have two layers of effects: charging and active. There's already an audio indicator of travel drive charging, but no unique visual component.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Omni-Orb
x4

Post by Omni-Orb » Mon, 6. May 24, 10:41

Seems like most people answer no because they don't use third person perspective.
Credence follow stars.

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Mon, 6. May 24, 13:36

I voted "yes", but overall it'd be nice to see a more obvious visual effect. Maybe an engine flame similar in shape, but with the colour of the engine's main jet instead of the signature boost colour.

Modan
x4

Post by Modan » Mon, 6. May 24, 22:41

Omni-Orb wrote:
Mon, 6. May 24, 10:41
Seems like most people answer no because they don't use third person perspective.
I vote no because *blank*craft shouldn't be cruising around with their afterburners on imo.

Zloth2
x4

Post by Zloth2 » Tue, 7. May 24, 04:04

A5PECT wrote:
Sun, 5. May 24, 19:09
Ideally, travel drive should look visually distinct from boost, and have two layers of effects: charging and active. There's already an audio indicator of travel drive charging, but no unique visual component.
I want to vote for this! Travel drives, in my head canon, are doing something different to push the ship than normal drive mode. Some sort of swirly, horizontal tornado effect behind each engine, perhaps. As the travel drive is spinning up, the swirly particle effects are being pulled together. When travel kicks in, the swirls give a pulse and spinning faster.

I wouldn't mind seeing little sparks around the ship or some such with boost, either. After all, it's "burning" your shields down, so an effect that looks like the shields buckling in some way would be good, as long as it isn't too distracting.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home
and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here! It's wondrous, with
treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross, but it's not for the
timid." ---- Q

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Wed, 8. May 24, 00:56

The "I don't like 3rd person view" comments are very non-sequitir. You still look at other ships in first person view, and being able to tell when they engage travel drive is valuable information, especially during combat
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Return to “X4: Foundations”