Linux Support (Beta)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Byter
x4

Re: Linux Support (Beta)

Post by Byter » Thu, 28. Feb 19, 16:17

Unbekanntes Feindschiff wrote:
Tue, 26. Feb 19, 23:54
I have had that happen once when I ran out of memory (as X4 is fairly memory-hungry) Maybe try closing things like web browsers (which are enormously memory-hungry these days) before running the game.
Thats certainly not it. I have 16GB of RAM and have never maxed it. Also, last time I tried to run X4, everything except Discord and Steam was closed. But thank you for reminding me not to forget that haha.

lazy_banana wrote:
Thu, 28. Feb 19, 12:08
Have you guys tried both the open source (AMDGPU) and the proprietary (AMDGPU PRO) drivers? Also try having a look at this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU. Especially the troubleshooting and Xorg configuration sections. I never used AMD cards under Linux, I'm just trying to lend a hand, so please exercise caution when changing your system configuration.
I was about to install AMDGPU Pro until I read that it decreases performance because the Open Source driver is apparently better haha. I am currently running AMDGPU.

fallenwizard wrote:
Tue, 26. Feb 19, 21:07
This looks like the all too common Vega GPU hangs. There is nothing Egosoft can really do because it's a driver bug.

You can try to upgrade to the LLVM 8.x and mesa 19.x development versions (or wait until they officially release)
If they don't fix the problem, you should create a bug report in the freedesktop bug tracker.

EDIT:
There is also the possibility of trying out AMDVLK or AMDGPU-Pro but there is no guarantee that they work flawlessly either.
I installed the AMDVLK package (version 2.63.1120.g81fd878-1) but really have no idea what it does. I would highly appreciate help in that regard.
Also, if it is fixed in LLVM 8.x and mesa 19.x, I'll wait and not install mesa-git for example. I waited for X4 since its release. I can wait a bit longer. I'm just happy that all my Linux brethren are able to play :)

fallenwizard
x4

Post by fallenwizard » Thu, 28. Feb 19, 17:26

amdgpu-pro uses the amdgpu kernel driver as well. These GPU hangs are most likely mesa's (in particular RADV) fault. As I've mentioned, You guys should be trying mesa 1.9 and llvm 1.8.x and see if it works. If not, please report it to the freedesktop bug tracker so the RADV devs can take a look at it. Samuel Pitoiset and co are pretty quick in fixing Vulkan related issues: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/

I doubt that X4 is here to blame, but maybe timon can fix it on his end regardless.

Byter
x4

Post by Byter » Thu, 28. Feb 19, 17:31

fallenwizard wrote:
Thu, 28. Feb 19, 17:26
amdgpu-pro uses the amdgpu kernel driver as well. These GPU hangs are most likely mesa's (in particular RADV) fault. As I've mentioned, You guys should be trying mesa 1.9 and llvm 1.8.x and see if it works. If not, please report it to the freedesktop bug tracker so the RADV devs can take a look at it. Samuel Pitoiset and co are pretty quick in fixing Vulkan related issues.

I doubt that X4 is here to blame, but maybe timon can fix it on his end.
I never blamed X4. I just said I don't want to use mesa-git at the moment. mesa-git has full packages with everything included already (same goes for the rc version), which is not the case with mesa from the Manjaro Repo. Switching back from the development version to the normal repo package would cause a lot of trouble... hence I prefer to wait. Can't take much longer right?

neare
x4

Post by neare » Thu, 28. Feb 19, 18:24

CBJ wrote:
Thu, 28. Feb 19, 13:51
neare wrote:
Tue, 26. Feb 19, 20:04
that is a step backwards
Not really. For practical reasons, beta versions for Windows are only available on GOG for people using the Galaxy client. Since there is no native Galaxy client for Linux, there is no easy way for us to deliver a Linux beta on that platform.
But how can i know this before as a customer? I pay the full price. Only because i bought it at gog i can't use linux beta!? I have to pay for it again.. no.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 28. Feb 19, 18:44

Why would you have to pay for it again? The Linux version is available on GOG right now. It's only beta versions of patches that are not released there for testing, so the only difference is that you have to wait for patches to be released fully.

ant1393
x4

Post by ant1393 » Thu, 28. Feb 19, 19:12

Brianetta wrote:
Wed, 27. Feb 19, 17:16
It seems that the Linux beta doesn't sign saved games as valid, and so it isn't really possible to test ventures.
works here (i'll test again) but i imported the folder from windows. Also check your save is not modified/moded.

edit: saves are not status "modified".
Last edited by ant1393 on Fri, 1. Mar 19, 02:19, edited 2 times in total.
ubuntu 18.10 latest updates + nvidia-415 + pulseaudio + xbox one pad.

i7-2600k, gtx 970, 16 gb ram, focusrite saffire pro 24 soundcard, ssd.

Stumpftopf

Post by Stumpftopf » Thu, 28. Feb 19, 19:12

Hi,
bought the game today. But get an instant gpu driver crash after the loading screen.

My specs:

Code: Select all

➜ inxi -v 1
System:    Host: stumpftopf-pc Kernel: 4.20.12-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.13.2git-UNKNOWN 
           Distro: Manjaro Linux 
CPU:       8-Core: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X type: MT MCP speed: 1775 MHz min/max: 2200/3700 MHz 
Graphics:  Device-1: AMD Curacao XT / Trinidad XT [Radeon R7 370 / R9 270X/370X] driver: amdgpu v: kernel 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: amdgpu,ati unloaded: modesetting 
           resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz, 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon HD 8800 Series (PITCAIRN DRM 3.27.0 4.20.12-1-MANJARO LLVM 7.0.1) 
           v: 4.5 Mesa 18.3.3 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 1.59 TiB used: 348.15 GiB (21.4%) 
Info:      Processes: 322 Uptime: 3m Memory: 15.66 GiB used: 1.25 GiB (8.0%) Shell: zsh inxi: 3.0.30 

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Hand laser

Post by radcapricorn » Thu, 28. Feb 19, 19:26

Judging by Tamina's response, the hand laser seems to have an issue.

Brianetta
x4

Post by Brianetta » Thu, 28. Feb 19, 20:56

ant1393 wrote:
Thu, 28. Feb 19, 19:12
Brianetta wrote:
Wed, 27. Feb 19, 17:16
It seems that the Linux beta doesn't sign saved games as valid, and so it isn't really possible to test ventures.
works here (i'll test again) but i imported the folder from windows. Also check your save is not modified/moded.
I don't know how to check that. I have never modified a saved game or installed a mod; the closest is that I sync them between Windows and Linux, and can freely load/save them from either OS. I had assumed that's what caused the game to appear to be modified.
PGP fingerprint: FA3D CA2F 38D3 BA69 87E1 D52E C204 FB5C 430A 0BFA

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Thu, 28. Feb 19, 21:36

Do external view controls work for you guys? I've tried both numpad (with numlock on and off) and shift+mmb in F2 and F3 views with no luck.

_JD_
x4

Post by _JD_ » Thu, 28. Feb 19, 22:11

I encountered a really annoying issue: the joystick deadzone is not working at all. I tried with both a Logitech Force 3d Pro and X52 Pro and it makes absolutely no difference change the value from 0 to 100.

To make it even worst, with the X52 Pro it seems that the deadzone is 25%, making very hard and annoying to aim at something.

I made a video to show the issue: https://youtu.be/zERDrr9Y108
And another where you can see the evtest-qt and jstest-gtk output: https://youtu.be/5pNve4vzogQ

I found also several other issues with the detection of some button and axis on the X52 pro. Most of them are detected correctly, but some, like the all the buttons from 33 to 39, are recognized as POV directions, like it was the main POV on the stick. The same buttons are correctly recognized on evtest-qt (/dev/input/eventX) and jstest-gtk (/dev/input/jsX).

Should I report all the issues here, create a separate post, send via email or is there an official tracker?

Toidiboy
x4

Post by Toidiboy » Fri, 1. Mar 19, 00:42

JD reporting here should suffice, the devs are veey active in here and will pick things up/reply to issues.

BTW good work on debugging the issue, I have had a few problems with my HOTAS as well. Quite sure this will help the devs rectify the issues.

cicero111
x4

Post by cicero111 » Fri, 1. Mar 19, 02:07

Some feedback after serveral hours playing on my ancient 1.0 savegame, wich has a couple hundred hours and using 40+ mods atm.

Issues related to the Linux beta:
- Same issue as radcapricorn mentioned with external camera keybinding controls not working. Only mouse center-click panning works.
- Same issue as _JD_ mentioned with setting 0 deadzone. Reducing does have some effect for me but setting 0 would compare to about 10 in the windows version I guess.
- As mentioned in an earlier post, extensions only works when files/folders are lower case. When changed all works as expected, even more complex ones as ashipmod, xrebirth effects etc.

Performance:
Noticeably better than the windows version with the same settings, I'm impressed..
Had some garbled UI and a few CTD with Vulcan OOM warnings initially, not surprised since my GPU are barely mimium spec. After closing browsers etc this have not happened for many hours. With windows i had to restart the game roughly every 2-3 hours when the UI got more and more garbled, not seen this for a while.
Also little to no stutters in general, even when lingering in Argon Prime - didn't have to teleport to the fringes of the universe to do empire management which was nice.

System/hardware:
Mageia6 on an ancient I5-3570K@3.4GHz CPU, 16G RAM, GTX780 (3Gb), 418.43 driver. Joystick is a true relic but nice sidewinder pro.
Some graphics info: Fullscreen, 1920x1080, FXAA High, Adaptive Vsync, modified ultra preset with reduced lod/effect to 50, low glow, no distortions.

Cg089
x4

Post by Cg089 » Fri, 1. Mar 19, 02:19

Cg089 wrote:
Thu, 28. Feb 19, 00:19
I'm having trouble figuring out the source of this bug since it locks up my system and I don't have a second computer set up right now. Nothing that seems relevant is appearing in my system logs, though I'm happy to upload them if you want. Steps to reproduce:
  1. Launch X4 windowed.
  2. Exit using the little red x in the top right corner of the screen. (You can start a game first, if you like, but it's not necessary to cause a crash).
  3. Reboot your computer since your computer no longer responds to input.
Ubuntu 18.04 with Nvidia proprietary drivers version 415.
No getting to another TTY, no mouse movement, no keyboard, nothing. It sounds like it might related to apcolvin's issue, but I'm honestly not sure since I'm not positive what issue he was describing. But X server screen/keyboard lockup definitely fits the bill. Having done a fair bit of work with Linux, my best guess is that exiting out without using the menu option doesn't do cleanup (since it may use the default termination signal handler if another one is not provided), and thus the GPU is left stuck causing X to stop responding. But that's complete speculation.

DxDiag for my system which is below minimum specs in terms of VRAM, but I highly suspect that is not the source of the bug; if someone else could confirm, that'd be great.

Also, unrelated and minor question about the X Rebirth catalog tool. Any chance we could get a Linux binary for the XRebirth catalog tool? Obviously, if it's a significant amount of work, probably not worth doing, but I was wondering if it actually depended on Windows & Windows build tools or if we just had only seen a Windows executable distributed due to historical reasons.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the Linux support! One less thing I need to use Windows for! And sorry CBJ, I'm sure you're getting sick of me.
A follow up on this - it happens sometimes when using Exit to Desktop too. Still trying to find anything related from the logs...

A more minor bug - custom ship logos seem to be broken on Linux. I put them next to the save folder (in .config/Egosoft/longnumber/logos/) and I get squares in the menu, but they're blank. The preview and actual ships both show the Da Vinci man logo instead (the one where the man is filled in). Nothing at all in the logs outside of previously mentioned minor log messages from startup. Tried .png and .dds.
It's maybe possible that this is related to the uppercase name thing people have been talking about due to the particular logo pack I was trying out using upper case names for its logos, I'll take another look at it tomorrow. Either way, it's a linux issue - the logos in question work just fine on Windows.

ant1393
x4

Post by ant1393 » Fri, 1. Mar 19, 02:20

radcapricorn wrote:
Thu, 28. Feb 19, 21:36
Do external view controls work for you guys? I've tried both numpad (with numlock on and off) and shift+mmb in F2 and F3 views with no luck.
F1 F2 works, but tried pushing F3 F4 and it does nothing... + with F2 view i tried NUMkey_123456789 and it don't look cockpit or change ship external camera view.
ubuntu 18.10 latest updates + nvidia-415 + pulseaudio + xbox one pad.

i7-2600k, gtx 970, 16 gb ram, focusrite saffire pro 24 soundcard, ssd.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Fri, 1. Mar 19, 06:37

Cg089 wrote:
Fri, 1. Mar 19, 02:19
A more minor bug - custom ship logos seem to be broken on Linux... Tried .png and .dds.
It's maybe possible that this is related to the uppercase name thing...
My logo works fine (png, lowercase letters). Though I wouldn't think case matters here. Or rather, I'd expect it not to.
cicero111 wrote:
Fri, 1. Mar 19, 02:07
- Same issue as radcapricorn mentioned with external camera keybinding controls not working. Only mouse center-click panning works.
Thanks for confirming!
ant1393 wrote:
Fri, 1. Mar 19, 02:20
F1 F2 works, but tried pushing F3 F4 and it does nothing... + with F2 view i tried NUMkey_123456789 and it don't look cockpit or change ship external camera view.
Thanks for confirming. F3 is the target view, i.e. you have to have a target and I think it needs to be no further than a certain distance.

ponyryde
x4

Post by ponyryde » Fri, 1. Mar 19, 07:58

Thumbs up!

Pretty shocked to find it worked out of the box at a stable 60fps (except shipyards) on ultra with a gtx970/fx8370/ubuntu 18.10/xb360 controller (could do with more menu navigation). Game is amazing, RIP x3.

StarTuxia
x4

Post by StarTuxia » Fri, 1. Mar 19, 08:05

tuxinvader wrote:
Thu, 28. Feb 19, 15:58
tuxinvader wrote:
Thu, 28. Feb 19, 14:48
Is there a way to remap joystick axis in the control settings?
The older games used to have Xn_config binary which allowed this, but X4 doesn't have that, and remapping with jstest doesn't seem to make any difference?

It would be good if you could select two Axis assignments and swap them.

I have an old ST290 PRO, and the X/Y axis are assigned for strafing, how can I reassign them for roll, pitch, yaw, etc?

Thanks
I edited the inputmap.xml manually and assigned the axis where I wanted them. They don't all show up in the control UI now though, but they do work :-)
Awesome, I am editing that file too. Hope it goes right lol. I noticed Vive and Occulus entries too...

Edit: Got it to recognize the axes via movement without editing. Took of that gamepad option and then it seemed to work, also made sure no controllers were left empty in the manage controls.

equeim
x4

Post by equeim » Fri, 1. Mar 19, 10:47

Byter wrote:
Thu, 28. Feb 19, 16:17
I installed the AMDVLK package (version 2.63.1120.g81fd878-1) but really have no idea what it does. I would highly appreciate help in that regard.
Also, if it is fixed in LLVM 8.x and mesa 19.x, I'll wait and not install mesa-git for example. I waited for X4 since its release. I can wait a bit longer. I'm just happy that all my Linux brethren are able to play :)
You can use differrent Vulkan driver by changing VK_ICD_FILENAMES environment variable. Go to /usr/share/vulkan/icd.d directory, there should several json files, notabl radeon_icd.x86_64.json and amd_icd.x86_64.json. Their names may slightly differ on different distros, but the one with "radeon" is Mesa's RADV and one with "amd" is AMDVLK. In order to use AMDVLK with X4 you need to edit command line parameters in the game's properties dialog in Steam and put following there:

VK_ICD_FILENAMES="/usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/<AMDVLK's json file>" %command%
With my RX 580 AMDVLK offered better performance than RADV.

andrewpc
x4

Post by andrewpc » Fri, 1. Mar 19, 14:42

Trying to debug this issue further. I have upgraded the graphics system

glxinfo snippet
Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
    Vendor: X.Org (0x1002)
    Device: Radeon RX Vega (VEGA10, DRM 3.27.0, 4.20.10-1-default, LLVM 8.0.0) (0x687f)
    Version: 19.1.0
    Accelerated: yes

==========
VULKANINFO
==========

Vulkan Instance Version: 1.1.100

Instance Extensions:
====================
Instance Extensions     count = 17
        VK_EXT_acquire_xlib_display         : extension revision  1
        VK_EXT_debug_report                 : extension revision  9
        VK_EXT_debug_utils                  : extension revision  1
        VK_EXT_direct_mode_display          : extension revision  1
        VK_EXT_display_surface_counter      : extension revision  1
        VK_KHR_device_group_creation        : extension revision  1
        VK_KHR_display                      : extension revision 23
        VK_KHR_external_fence_capabilities  : extension revision  1
        VK_KHR_external_memory_capabilities : extension revision  1
        VK_KHR_external_semaphore_capabilities: extension revision  1
        VK_KHR_get_display_properties2      : extension revision  1
        VK_KHR_get_physical_device_properties2: extension revision  1
        VK_KHR_get_surface_capabilities2    : extension revision  1
        VK_KHR_surface                      : extension revision 25
        VK_KHR_wayland_surface              : extension revision  6
        VK_KHR_xcb_surface                  : extension revision  6
        VK_KHR_xlib_surface                 : extension revision  6
Layers: count = 10
=======
VK_LAYER_GOOGLE_threading (Google Validation Layer) Vulkan version 1.1.100, layer version 1
        Layer Extensions        count = 1
                VK_EXT_debug_report                 : extension revision  6
        Devices         count = 2
                GPU id       : 0 (AMD RADV VEGA10 (LLVM 8.0.0))
                Layer-Device Extensions count = 0
                GPU id       : 1 (AMD RADV VEGA10 (LLVM 8.0.0))
                Layer-Device Extensions count = 0

I get the same crash before before the menu screen appears. However, if I run with the following environment variables it doesnt lock up the PC in its entirety and actually gets to the point of showing the menu when it crashes closing the window.

export RADV_DEBUG=syncshaders,vmfaults,allbos
export RADV_TRACE_FILE=/tmp/radv.debug
steam steam://rungameid/392160 -windowed
This is what is captured in dmesg

[  502.081964] JobThread-0x7f5[14651]: segfault at 9000050 ip 0000000001927f15 sp 00007f51f989d710 error 4 in X4[400000+216b000]
[  502.081973] Code: 43 1c 04 4c 8b 33 75 56 f3 0f 10 95 cc 43 10 00 4d 85 f6 f3 0f 11 54 24 0c 0f 84 06 01 00 00 49 8b 06 f3 0f 10 05 c3 a7 41 00 <48> 8b 40 50 48 3d f0 79 56 00 0f 85 3b 01 00 00 41 f7 c4 00 40 00
Steam also creates a crash dump which it seems to be uploading. There is no extra information in the journal log. This is the steam crash id if you can retrieve the crash dump CrashID=bp-0b70cb81-3d6d-4ea4-9491-f1fc72190301

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”