Game doesn't want to launch with some extensions (black screen)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

jan12342203
x4

Re: Game doesn't want to launch with some extensions (black screen)

Post by jan12342203 » Wed, 19. Jul 23, 17:13

no thanks.. i don't need x amount of ram and cores to watch and look how they get dusty.....

kuertee
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by kuertee » Thu, 20. Jul 23, 06:05

stevecs wrote:
Wed, 19. Jul 23, 09:47
... WHEN RUNNING Process Monitor, *WITH* SN 1.88+UI Extensions 6.01.001 + Infocenter 2.93, the GAME LOADS!!!!! ...
Whuaaa!?

Well, the only new file that was added in UIX 6.1.001 from UIX 6.0.x is "t\0001.xml".
Can you test loading the game with UIX 6.1.001 without the file "t\0001.xml"?

That is one of the files that I think* (but I'm not 100% sure) the game loads at launch.
Mods: RPG: Reputations and Professions, Social Standings and Citizenships, Crime has Consequences, Alternatives to Death. Missions/NPCs: Emergent Missions, NPC Reactions, Mod Parts Trader, High-sec Rooms are Locked, Hacking Outcomes, More Generic Missions, Waypoint Fields for Deployment. Others: Auto-cam, Friendly Fire Tweaks, Teleport From Transporter Room, Wear and Tear. QoL: Trade Analytics, Loot Mining, Ship Scanner, Signal Leak Hunter, Station Scanner, Surface Element Targeting, etc.

stevecs
xr

Post by stevecs » Thu, 20. Jul 23, 21:27

Yeah the Process Monitor 'hack' is very strange. And not really a good solution (process monitor does add latency, and chews up ram if you keep it running). Only thing I can think of here at all is it may be causing a delay in the X4.exe process but have no idea as to why/how that would matter.

Anyway, as for your test scenario. I tried again w/ SN 1.88 + 6.01.001, with t\0001.xml intact, that gave the same results as reported before (blank screen) just to validate. Then removed the t\0001.xml file and tried again. no effect (same result).

Running the above with process monitor also running however, x4 starts. so :really confused: did some more testing with the process monitor scenario and it *appears* it only needs to be running/watching x4.exe at startup. i.e. if I start up PM, then start X4, load a game, then I can exit process monitor and continue playing. So it's only at loading/startup of X4.

SirNukes
x4

Post by SirNukes » Fri, 21. Jul 23, 02:20

This thread already made me suspect a hardware problem, and the process monitor behavior change would line up with that. ECC memory is probably safe, so maybe the cpu is failing. A barely-unstable cpu can be odd like this, working fine for nearly everything except that one application in one scenario that hangs or crashes.

For example, years ago I had an overclocked athlon that would cause a crash when saving in a particular game (vampire the masquerade bloodlines) about 30% of the time, despite months of working fine otherwise; reducing the overclock stopped those crashes.

stevecs
xr

Post by stevecs » Fri, 21. Jul 23, 02:57

I've tested the CPU (Prime95 & OCCT) large & small FFT models for 72 hours. Same with memory tests (memtest w/ ECC reporting (MCA/IMC)) with no errors and nothing in the bios's event manager). Also have checked PCIe parity errors (PERR/SERR) (system bios support as well with Passmark's PCIe hardware tester). Also, yes I do have numerous cpu's (I have several other server systems so do swap around CPU's from a stack of E5-2667 v4's, E5-2643v4, E5-2697A v4's, and some older E5-2620's). I have used in this particular system showing thees issues the E5-2667v4, E4-2643v4, and E5-2697A v4's. (had the 2643 first, upgraded to the 2667, and then to the 2697A's but then went back to the 2667v4's with HT off as with the workloads I use in daily production proved slightly better). Also tested the PSU & pulse gap. (I build systems frequently so all this 'testing' is actually 'normal' for me for servers)

Also should note that I have also run various 'software' tests (3dmark 2001se, 3dmark03, 05, 06, vantage, 11, firestrike, timespy, port royal, speedway, wildlife (vulkan test) as well as Unigine & Cinebench (R15, R20, R23)). with a *lot* of runs (run them 5 times each and average results in a spreadsheet). So the gpu & gpu ram has also been tested.

Since this is a dual-processor system, I have also seen the X4 threads on either node (so not always on cpu0 or cpu1) and since memory controllers are on the cpu node that would indicate the problem even on the same processor type happens irrespective of cpu or memory.

And remember none of this is 'desktop' grade this is all server components as I (for my day job) require extensive 99.9+ uptime and run numerous applications & vm's 24x7.

Since this is *ONLY* happening with a single process (X4) and directly repeatable, this, to me does not show *any* signs of hardware. So am very curious as to what is leading you to think that way.

If you have a suggestion to try I can look. But don't see anything so far that is related to hardware, or at least not in any production workload or in any of the tests I have run so far).

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”