Modding a mod, newbie, need some help.

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

grapedog
x4

Modding a mod, newbie, need some help.

Post by grapedog » Mon, 8. Jan 24, 00:13

I've downloaded this mod called Boron Connections. It adds some additional gates for the Boron.

I'm using an existing save, and within the description it says that I'll need to open the various zone.xml files to edit them. Now I was able to look into the mod itself, identify the gates I wanted to active based on the cluster number, and set active to true... but that isn't working. So I'm guessing I need to set them to true as well elsewhere, likely the previously mentioned zone.xmls... but I couldn't find them. I'm guessing they are packed into one of the dat files, or somewhere else...

I'm not sure where else to edit them. Any help would be appreciated.

ApoxNM
x4

Re: Modding a mod, newbie, need some help.

Post by ApoxNM » Mon, 8. Jan 24, 06:26

grapedog wrote:
Mon, 8. Jan 24, 00:13
I've downloaded this mod called Boron Connections. It adds some additional gates for the Boron.

I'm using an existing save, and within the description it says that I'll need to open the various zone.xml files to edit them. Now I was able to look into the mod itself, identify the gates I wanted to active based on the cluster number, and set active to true... but that isn't working. So I'm guessing I need to set them to true as well elsewhere, likely the previously mentioned zone.xmls... but I couldn't find them. I'm guessing they are packed into one of the dat files, or somewhere else...

I'm not sure where else to edit them. Any help would be appreciated.
Hi, I am not 100% sure what the mod does exactly, but either you mod the connections before you start a new game in the mod. Or after, you have to edit them in your save file.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Mon, 8. Jan 24, 11:07

ApoxNM wrote:
Mon, 8. Jan 24, 06:26

Hi, I am not 100% sure what the mod does exactly, but either you mod the connections before you start a new game in the mod. Or after, you have to edit them in your save file.
The mod takes inactive gates and turns them on, and also adds new gates... and they supposedly work fine on a NEW save, if you progress the Boron story.

It adds Ocean of Fantasy to Getsu Fune, Atreus Clouds to Silent Witness, and Watchful Gaze to Emperors Pride. But if you are trying to put this mod into an existing game, you need to edit the files that control those gates to set them to active. I've done it on the mod side, but I think I need to do it in a different location as well, as just doing it on the mod side is having no effect. But I think the files I need are maybe packaged into the .dat file. Now, ive got the CAT tool off the ego site to unpack the file, but i dont know what to do. Unpack the files, then make changes, then repack them? that changes all my other games too which don't use the mod i think. I'm at a loss as to how to proceed.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Mon, 8. Jan 24, 14:34

grapedog wrote:
Mon, 8. Jan 24, 11:07
ApoxNM wrote:
Mon, 8. Jan 24, 06:26

The mod takes inactive gates and turns them on, and also adds new gates... and they supposedly work fine on a NEW save, if you progress the Boron story.

It adds Ocean of Fantasy to Getsu Fune, Atreus Clouds to Silent Witness, and Watchful Gaze to Emperors Pride. But if you are trying to put this mod into an existing game, you need to edit the files that control those gates to set them to active. I've done it on the mod side, but I think I need to do it in a different location as well, as just doing it on the mod side is having no effect. But I think the files I need are maybe packaged into the .dat file. Now, ive got the CAT tool off the ego site to unpack the file, but i dont know what to do. Unpack the files, then make changes, then repack them? that changes all my other games too which don't use the mod i think. I'm at a loss as to how to proceed.

You can use the tool to unpack the files, you do not need to pack the files again. Once you unpack all the files, just get rid of the original cat/dat files. Leave all the other files in there and it will work fine as a mod. Change whatever you like. I am not sure what you meant by saying " that changes all my other games too which don't use the mod i think". Why would changing the cat/dat of one mod change all the mods you use?

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Tue, 9. Jan 24, 16:26

Ok, that helped a lot. I also downloaded the different versions from steam and nexus and took a look at em both. The nexus version already came unpacked as well.

I got it working now though by unpacking the one and activating the gates I wanted.

Thanks again for the help!

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”