[7.0 Beta 3] Ships not docking for repairs (Save)

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

Scoob
x4

[7.0 Beta 3] Ships not docking for repairs (Save)

Post by Scoob » Sun, 28. Apr 24, 20:51

Hi,

Something doesn't appear to be working quite right when it comes to ship docking for repairs. Check out this saved game as an example.

Upon loading you'll see guidance has been set to my ship "Eclipse (Pulse) (UZQ-764)" - open the map and you'll see it. This ship reports to my station "08 Defence + Repairs - Hatikvah's Choice I". Basically this station started as a regular Defence Platform, but I added an S/M Ship Maintenance Bay so it could service all my S and M-Class Ships in the area.

I noticed first that ships belonging to the Destroyer patrolling the area do not dock for repairs at all. In v6.2, my ships from separate fleets would often pop in to the various "Repair" stations I'd set up. Sure, a Support Ship would repair for free, but I prefer setting up stations as I can earn credits from the other factions too. So, basically, no ships from other groups are visiting this station, even when badly damaged.

This Station also has its own Fighter subordinates. Over time, some of these have returned to resupply, however, I've been noticing that a lot of them have become badly damaged, yet still not returned for repairs. I manually ordered a few to repair but, this time, I thought I'd highlight the issue and share the save.

The Station has Automatic Resupply of Subordinates set to High, so I'd expect ships to dock after suffering some damage, or using some of their ordinance. However, they are not. I see badly damaged ships not repairing, ships that are low on missiles not resupplying. It's really not working well at all.

Note: I'm aware the setting is "Automatic Resupply of subordinates" suggesting that it'll ONLY service assigned subordinates. However, with both Support Ships and Stations with Maintenance Bays , I've seen plenty of non-subordinate ships docking for repair and resupply in my v6.2 games. Indeed, it was a fairly standard procedure to me to either field a Support Ship one sector away - just deployed, not part of a fleet - and have ships from other Fleets as well as passing Civilian ships of mine dock for repairs and resupply. Indeed, I'd have full STATIONS dedicated to this, where they could also make money from other Faction's ships visiting. Worked well. For whatever reason, this does not appear to be working in v7.0 beta.

Am I missing something here? At what point does a ship go "I'm damaged, let's see if there's an option for automatic repairs nearby", or "I'm out of ammo, let's see if I can find some".

When stations like this have been built in my prior v6.2 games, they've had a massive impact on reducing attrition. Ships are kept in good condition with ample counter measures and missiles as needed. In this save above, the station isn't as useful as it should be.

Note: I'm aware it's not in a good place for traffic from other Factions, with both a Wharf and an Equipment dock a sector away, but this setup was more for me than anything. Any earnings are a bonus.

Scoob
x4

Re: [7.0 Beta 3] Ships not docking for repairs (Save)

Post by Scoob » Sun, 28. Apr 24, 22:26

I've been running for a couple of hours or so since my post, and the attrition among my ships is high. They're simply not returning for repairs, so can fall quickly to an attacker, plus they're running out of both Flares and missiles, becoming more vulnerable to missiles as well as not dealing the damage they should.

All I did was continue to play the linked save. During that time NONE of the ships Subordinate to the station - let alone any others - have docked for repair and rearm. This was not usual behaviour in v6.2.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Mon, 29. Apr 24, 00:31

Further update, long gaming session this evening...

After the ship simply not repairing and rearming, I tried restarting the game fully, not just reloading and it made no difference. I played a bit longer and, so I'd not lose any more ships, manually ordered the ships to repair and rearm. After doing this, they went back on patrol around the station.

After a little time, I started noticing ships that were low on Missiles, returning to replenish. So, it seems like that manual repair and reload somehow woke them up. Nothing's needed to be repaired yet, just resupplied, but it's a start.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Mon, 29. Apr 24, 20:14

Hello again,

After playing a bit longer last night, and just getting back in-game today, repairs are certainly not working. After manually docking repairing and rearming the ships, ships that ran out of Missiles did indeed appear to replenish themselves, but just ONCE. No ship has returned just for repairs - I have many ships that don't use Missiles and haven't consumed any Flares but they're badly damaged.

I'd love it if someone else confirmed my findings here. Having a "Fighter Bay" type station, that can service the stations S and M-Class defensive fleet as well as any passing or nearby player assets has been a great late-game staple for me. Making money servicing the ships of other factions is a bonus.

As a sanity check, I have verified my install, but everything was fine. My game is the GoG version if it makes any difference. This issue has sorta put a stop to my plans, as my ships aren't automatically being repaired, so attrition is higher than it should be. I've seen dozens of my ships taken out by the first pass of a Xenon attack run, purely because their hulls were too low. Previously, in v6.2, they'd have taken damage, returned for repairs and been back at 100% again, able to absorb such an attack and survive - if only to go get repairs again.

Fielding dozens of Fighters as defence for a Station when that Station has repair facilities is GREAT...usually. Fun fireworks and it's satisfying to see automation at work. It ain't working.

At this point, I have no well to tell if this is some fundamental issue with ships returning for repairs, or if simply the Automatic Resupply setting is broken.

donzi
x4

Post by donzi » Mon, 29. Apr 24, 23:05

I see this issue with station manager subordinates (S/M thus far, presume it affects L/XL station subs too).

Tested 'auto resupply' on/off variations with manager and individual ships, no-go.

It's a different can of worms with AUX ships, but S/M ships do seem to repair in any event in carrier and/or AUX fleets FWIW.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Fri, 3. May 24, 18:21

I'm still having issues with this. Ships subordinate to an Equipment Dock (S/M Ship Maintenance Bay) of mine will not return for repair and resupply. Very very rarely, a ship might return, but in several hours of play since my last post NONE have returned. This is despite some being low, or completely out, of Ammo, and others being damaged and in need of repairs.

This entire game loop is currently effectively broken. As previously mentioned, having such stations designed for repairing Small and Medium ships are IDEAL for forward Defence Platforms. This particular station is also in a location where through traffic of mine can automatically call in for repair and resupply as needed. However, it's simply not working in v7.0 like it has in prior game versions.

Here's my most recent save. In it, I've deliberately set the station's (you're on the station in question) "Automatic Resupply of Subordinates" to OFF. If you turn it ON, you should almost immediately see some ships returning to stock up on Missiles. This is good, but they won't do it again, next time they run out. Additionally, none of the damaged ships are returning for repairs.

So, restock of Missiles works ONCE after doing this, the ships will not return again. To get them to return again (this time) I had to REMOVE them as subordinates to the Station entirely, and order them all to dock. I then re-assigned them to Alpha Defence group and they redeployed, I then re-enabled the Supply setting at the Station level.

I'd consider this quite a serious issue, as this is quite a substantial thing to set up - full S/M repair bay with the infrastructure to keep it fed - yet it's not working reliably at all.

Note: the first thing I noticed about this station was VERY little traffic from other Factions stopping for repairs, despite it being very active with Xenon incursions. I thought perhaps that the availability of other Faction-owned repair facilities was the reason for this, made sense. However, as my own ships are not repairing and only very rarely resupplying, I thought there was more to this issue.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Fri, 3. May 24, 21:58

To work-around this issue, I decided to deploy a Carrier group, assigning al Fighters to it, rather than the station. As expected, the Carrier will repair subordinates promptly, so no issues there. However, unlike my usual "support station" (Defence Platform with repair capabilities) a Carrier doesn't work with my supply network. It doesn't general Buy offers so my ship will never automatically keep it supplied. I'd forgotten this, but it's likely why I moved to building such stations in the first place, though I do use Carrier just for Repairs.

So, as suspected, this isn't an issue with Automatic Resupply in general as Carriers (and I assume Support ships) work just fine. It's just subordinates reporting to Stations that don't appear to be returning for repair and resupply properly.

If any more information is needed, please just ask. I hoped my saves were enough to show the issue. Please yell if I've done something silly, I don't think so as my v6.2 game seems to be working just fine. Ships are returning for repair and resupply as you'd expect.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Thu, 9. May 24, 23:46

Hi,

Having not played for a few days, I updated to Beta 5 this evening. Upon loading my save (this one) many of the remaining subordinates of the Station docked to resupply missiles, none needed repairs though. However, after a good hour or so of playing, they've not returned again, despite running out of missile and taking heavy damage. As I play now, all but one ship has been destroyed. First running out of missiles (slower to kill their targets, especially if M-Class or above) and, if not killed outright, gradually getting more damaged until they're a relatively easy kill.

Some time after loading this save, a Xenon K invades the sector, as really takes its toll on the Station's ships. The Frigates fall quickly - they're really vulnerable to Capitals and take no evasive action if not their target, and little even if they are. As I have a Carrier parked next to the station I set the "Bombard" groups to "Launched". However, they're not engaging the Xenon K at all, which is a little odd.

So, in summary, upon loading the linked save in Beta 5, subordinates of the station immediately docked and stocked up on missiles if they were out. However, they've not returned since, with any damage / running out of Ammo seeing the ships not return.

Ship Maintenance Bays are already considered useless by many, when compared to the equivalent Ship Fabrication Bays. However, I really thought I'd found a great niche for them when attached to a Defence Platform. This isn't working in v7.0 currently.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can provide, but I think my saves show the issue quite clearly.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Fri, 10. May 24, 00:40

Sorry, it's not my intent to spam my own topic, but I have some more information that may or my not be relevant...

With subordinates of the Defence Platform not returning for repairs and only very rarely returned to restock missiles (that game load seemed to trigger it ONCE, as mentioned), I ordered my Carrier there to buy all it needed from the DP. Upon doing so, subordinates from the DP immediately flew to the Carrier to restock.

So, Carrier appears to be working fine in this regard, with even non-subordinates visiting it for restock AND repair. However, ships aren't using the Maintenance Bay on the Defence Platform as they should.

Basically, a well-stocked Carrier is readily targeted by my ships in the area for both Repair and Resupply, even if they're NOT subordinates. This is how stations with Maintenance Bays used to work in prior game versions, but they're not really working at all now, only sporadically rearming, never repairing.

You should be able to recreate this from the above save, I have.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”