[FEEDBACK] Input Profiles

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

sceic
x4

Re: [FEEDBACK] Input Profiles

Post by sceic » Thu, 9. May 24, 07:05

Radial menus allow for more shortcuts to be set and used, which is overall a good thing. However, I want to talk about advanced flight maneuvers using a gamepad, which is to achieve high-speed turning maneuvers by toggling assisted flight mode after activating cruise control. In order to achieve advanced piloting, I would consider using the right analog stick of the gamepad to control the ship's rotation direction, so it is unlikely that I would set the activation of cruise control and the toggling of assisted flight mode to the right-side buttons of the gamepad. Therefore, looking to the left, the left and right of the D-pad seem like a good choice. The left and right of the D-pad were originally used to switch weapons, which I don't need to use that often, so I assigned the functions of activating cruise control and toggling assisted flight mode to the left and right of the D-pad. This allows me to comfortably use my left hand to control acceleration and toggle assisted flight mode while my right hand controls steering, which I find to be perfect.

However, this is where a conflict arises. In the map tab, the D-pad is by default used to control the selection menu, such as the task list on the left side of the screen. When I press D-pad right, I expect to further open a submenu of the task menu, but this will activate the assisted flight mode toggle that I set on the upper right of the D-pad as mentioned earlier. This doesn't affect me too much, but the headache is that when I press D-pad left to try to go back to the previous menu, this action will not only move the menu to the left, but also activate the cruise control activation function that I set on the upper left of the D-pad. At this time, my ship may be near a space station or cruising at high speed, and the ship may directly hit the space station or exit high speed and be exposed to danger. This is obviously not what I want. Can anyone tell me how to solve this problem? :oops:

Yutman1966

Post by Yutman1966 » Thu, 9. May 24, 09:26

Many thanks to the Development team for all the work they have done on the Controller inputs. I have tried many times with Keyboard / mouse , Dual Joystick and even a HOTAS and I have never felt comfortable with the game. I have only just come back after a 12 month break and Im finding the Controller a game changer. I find I use the Controller for most things then revert to the mouse for map work, with a few buttons on the mouse for certain things. Autopilot, MAP on /off.

sirdeiu
x4

Post by sirdeiu » Fri, 10. May 24, 20:17

Hi,

So, with Beta 5, I see the following:

Fedora Linux 39 Workstation Wayland
Kernel 6.8.8
Steam Proton 9.0-1 and Steam Input Enabled
Sony Dualsense Wireless Controller USB wired

Game recognizes the controller as Sony Dualsense Wireless Controller and shows the correct button icon prompts (Playstation)

Start the game, go to Settings / Controls / Load default profile Keyboard&Mouse

Start Tutorial, Walking & Interaction

Press circle on the controller to close the popup message works.

Do you want to load a premade input profile? Yes No - if you move the right stick on the controller first, then the mouse cursor moves with it (emulated mouse) and you can not confirm the selected option in the popup anymore by pressing X on the controller (it seems focus is switched from the popup message). Dpad Left/Right to select Yes/No works. Moving the physical mouse over the popup message and clicking on the popup message then activates the focus and you can confirm the option with X on the controller.

- But while not working, sometimes, pressing Dpad up or down, moves the mouse cursor automatically on the select option of the popup message and then you can confirm it.
- Moving the mouse cursor using the right stick so that the cursor is on top of Yes or No buttons, allows to confirm by pressing X on the controller (even if No is highlighted - glows, putting the cursor on Yes and pressing X on the controller selects Yes).
- Sometimes, during testing this tutorial, at the interact step, where you press X to talk to NPC and the have to hold X and move the right stick, the focus again was not working there.

On the next step of the tutorial where you have to look up and down, you perform this with the right stick by default. Looking completely up an then down, triggers the popup message asking you if you want to invert the vertical axis, however you can not confirm the option with X on the controller. It registered the movement of the right stick as the emulated mouse movement and focus is again lost. Pressing Dpad Up/Down does not help here.

Start Tutorial, Docking

Accelerate, you are prompted to request permission to dock by pressing X on the controller, but nothing happens. Pressing Dpad down activates Argon Wharf and then you can press X and get the interaction menu. Pressing circle closes the menu, press circle again and it selects the Argon Wharf Standard Dockin Bay, and then you can again press X and interact.

Other observed issues:
Steam Proton 9.0-1 with Steam Input disabled
Sony Dualsense Wireless Controller USB wired

Game does not show the correct button icon prompts (Playstation)
Settings > Controls > Manage Controllers it shows Wireless Controller
Game registers controller as Joystick, as shown in Controls / General Controls, third tab, instead of Controller and the correct icon, there's Joystick and wrong icon.

The controller does not work correctly, the button mapping is wrong (X is back and square is select) and it seem that emulated mouse is always active and causes the camera to spin down/left in space and also for example in the menus in Controls/General controls you can see that because of the wrong mapping you have axis Rotation for emulated mouse and causes the wrong mouse cursor movements.

sirdeiu
x4

Post by sirdeiu » Fri, 10. May 24, 23:12

Can't edit the previous post, why?

I have tested a bit more. With the Linux Native version and Steam Input Enabled, the controller works OK. I still see that moving the right stick causes that focus issue where you can't confirm a prompt with X on the controller. And about Tutorial Docking, where pressing X does not do anything, I think it might be because of having Gamepad mode off (no auto targeting?).

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 11. May 24, 01:03

sirdeiu wrote:
Fri, 10. May 24, 23:12
Can't edit the previous post, why?
Public Beta Rules and Information - PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST wrote:
Thu, 6. Dec 18, 17:48
Note: In order to prevent problems with the timeline of discussions being lost, the ability to edit or delete your own posts has been disabled in this forum.

Newinger
x4

Post by Newinger » Sat, 11. May 24, 22:25

I finally found some time to test the new controller profile. I never used controller or joystick before with X4 because it is better suited for keyboard and mouse, due to the many complex menus.

But it must say, after a bit of getting used to it, it worked quite fine.

There are just some small things:

1. I would reverse the right stick up/down during flight. Moving the stick forward should move the spaceship's nose down, whereas pulling the stick should move the nose up.

2. I would move the accelerate function from LT to RT; RT is often used in driving games for accelerating.

3. I did not find a way to roll the ship.

4. I can activate the long-range scanner in the radial menu, but need to press the L key on the keyboard to perform the actual scan.

5. Not sure if a separate mapping for decelerating the ship (currently on LB) is really needed. Once we let got of LT, it slows down anyway.

For reference purposes it would be nice if the game could include a visual overview of the current controller settings - like the graphic in the 1st posting of this thread, but showing the current actual configuration.

thedavid
x4

Post by thedavid » Sun, 12. May 24, 03:15

I like the new options. They will require some slight modifications when I use them.

I like "B" to be "deselect target". I use this a lot. The ship is always trying to select this or select that just as I am flying past it and then I don't want to be annoyed by going through the whole list of ships in the area once I have finally gotten close to my actual target. So at the right time I can deselect quickly and get the ship to understand what I actually want to aim at.

"R Stick Push" I like to set to Travel Mode. "L Stick Push" is already boost so this trains my mind to understand the a stick click always means go faster. If I'm flying a nimble ship like a Takoba then it is totally possible to use travel mode as a full replacement for boost. I'm really good at dogfighting now.

Before 7.0 I just used "o" on the keyboard to use the container magnet and I got help on the forums to learn how to set it to a toggle. With the radial I can set it to a radial option and keep it as a toggle. I just have to remember to turn it off before I "get up".

In 6.2 I used to use the keyboard to dock, "Shift D" and autopilot "Shift A". With the new radials I likely won't have to ever touch the keyboard again.

thedavid
x4

Post by thedavid » Sun, 12. May 24, 03:18

Now if only I could remap what "Direction pad Up" does without messing up navigation in menus. I have no idea what "lock target" does and it never seems to ever be of use to me.

JMCorp
x4

Post by JMCorp » Sun, 12. May 24, 15:05

thedavid wrote:
Sun, 12. May 24, 03:18
Now if only I could remap what "Direction pad Up" does without messing up navigation in menus. I have no idea what "lock target" does and it never seems to ever be of use to me.
when you're flying around and the center of the screen passes over a ship/station/etc the game will retarget whatever is in front of you automatically. lock target is supposed to stop that from happening and keep your target locked in so while you're maneuvering it doesn't change on you. the problem is it frequently doesn't work. i've set lock target, i've got the solid bars saying target is locked, and then the game will switch the targets anyway. it's still useful, because it does work most of the time, but when it doesn't work it's super annoying.

jojorne
x4

Post by jojorne » Sun, 12. May 24, 18:20

I lost all my old control scheme (I have backup) so while I fix it back and get used to beta, here's my first impression:
* Cannot always run like the keyboard's run command
* Cannot hold throttle, using acceleration and deceleration instead

Another thing: X+1, X+1, X+1... Y+2, Y+2, Y+2... that's the setup I'm using. I think this one is more intuitive. 🤔

jojorne
x4

Post by jojorne » Sun, 12. May 24, 20:28

If you open the map, you cannot open the Radial Menu X because there's a conflict.

BlueGreen
x3

Post by BlueGreen » Mon, 13. May 24, 04:56

I'm probably a bit of an oddball here, but I use a PS4 controller since that's what I happen to have on hand. I tried out switching to the new default profile and was almost immediately reminded why I can't just use default profiles... it was impossible to start a new game after that because the mouse cursor flies off to the bottom right corner of the screen as soon as I entered the menu to select which game start I wanted.

The reason for this is simple, the various axis/buttons on a PS4 controller are identified differently (different order) than they are for other controllers, so it's necessary to go through each of the control settings and make sure to map the correct axis/buttons to the correct action.

Other games have solved this with a simple "calibrate controller" type of menu option where it shows you a picture of a controller, then highlights some axis/button to activate so that the game can learn how to map your specific controller to the expected default layout. This would be super helpful to anyone using uncommon gamepads. I'd expect it'd be fine to have defaults based on XBOX controllers or whatever, but it'd be really nice to have something that really helps to streamline remapping all the axis and buttons correctly instead of having to dig through the various control menus and hope to not miss anything.

Anyway, I'm going to try to fix the mappings now to see how the radial menus and such work out for me.

Spreadinator
x4

Post by Spreadinator » Wed, 15. May 24, 15:06

Currently using Dual Thrustmaster T.16000M

This is one of the most favourite joysticks for the average joe on market. It would be really nice to have that added in input profile

Spreadinator
x4

Post by Spreadinator » Wed, 15. May 24, 15:32

From What I can also tell, currently, it's not possible to use dual Joysticks. Or am I missing something?

Spreadinator
x4

Post by Spreadinator » Wed, 15. May 24, 15:40

So yeah, currently, it seems that if you have two joysticks of the same type plugged in, the system doesn't recognise them. So, in my case, when I go to manage Joysticks, I can only see T.6000M but not my other one, which means I can't map keys to my other joystick, either.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Thu, 16. May 24, 10:48

BlueGreen wrote:
Mon, 13. May 24, 04:56
Anyway, I'm going to try to fix the mappings now to see how the radial menus and such work out for me.
If you would care to share them afterwards we could look at adding it as an option in game so people with such a controller don't have to do it manually.

MFG

Ketraar

BlueGreen
x3

Post by BlueGreen » Fri, 17. May 24, 07:16

[quote=Ketraar post_id=5228364 time=1715849294 user_id=102216]
[quote=BlueGreen post_id=5227904 time=1715568995 user_id=277438]Anyway, I'm going to try to fix the mappings now to see how the radial menus and such work out for me.[/quote]
If you would care to share them afterwards we could look at adding it as an option in game so people with such a controller don't have to do it manually.

MFG

Ketraar
[/quote]

Hopefully I've attached the correct file. I don't see an inputprofile.xml, but the contents of the various inputmap.xml files look like what you'd need, so the one I've attached tries to match the picture of the default controls from the first page as closely as possible (I guessed on how to map platform/menu controls since most of that isn't in the image). It's usable, but far too different from what I'm used to.

On my system the PS4 controller shows up as "Wireless Controller" even though it's connected via USB, so I'm not sure what's up with that (Windows identifies it that way). All buttons just show up numbered rather than with PS4 icons like Square, Triangle, Circle, etc. which makes it a bit hard to understand what button some dialog is asking me to press.

For reference, the various physical controls map like this (useful if you want to provide correct icons/names for the buttons/axis):
Left Stick Horizontal Axis -> INPUT_JOYAXIS_X
Left Stick Vertical Axis -> INPUT_JOYAXIS_Y
Right Stick Horizontal Axis -> INPUT_JOYAXIS_Z
Right Stick Vertical Axis -> INPUT_JOYAXIS_RY (inverted)
D-Pad Left -> INPUT_XBUTTON_DPAD_LEFT
D-Pad Right -> INPUT_XBUTTON_DPAD_RIGHT
D-Pad Up -> INPUT_XBUTTON_DPAD_UP
D-Pad Down -> INPUT_XBUTTON_DPAD_DOWN
Cross -> INPUT_XBUTTON_B
Circle -> INPUT_XBUTTON_X
Triangle -> INPUT_XBUTTON_Y
Square -> INPUT_XBUTTON_A
L1 -> INPUT_XBUTTON_LEFT_SHOULDER
L2 -> INPUT_XBUTTON_BACK
L3 (press left stick) -> INPUT_XBUTTON_BIGBUTTON
R1 -> INPUT_XBUTTON_RIGHT_SHOULDER
R2 -> INPUT_XBUTTON_START
R3 (press right stick) -> INPUT_XBUTTON_12
Options -> INPUT_XBUTTON_RIGHT_THUMB
Share -> INPUT_XBUTTON_LEFT_THUMB
Touch Pad (press) -> INPUT_XBUTTON_14
PlayStation logo button -> INPUT_XBUTTON_13

There are two more axis that it's best to avoid mapping anything to. When not pressing these, they report the max negative values while pressing them reports max positive values (I might have positive/negative mixed up here, but it doesn't really matter). The reason for the mouse behaving badly is because under the default controls, the emulated mouse horizontal and vertical are both mapped to these which causes the mouse to move to one corner of the screen:

L2 (analog) -> INPUT_JOYAXIS_RX
R2 (analog) -> INPUT_JOYAXIS_RY

Interesting note: inputs to the emulated mouse movement still apply even if you minimize or alt-tab out of the game. Thankfully I can navigate Windows well enough with just keyboard controls, but that was very unexpected behavior. The game should probably not emulate mouse controls when the game doesn't have focus. This seems to only apply to the movement as emulated mouse buttons only triggered actions in game while another window had focus.

Anyway, I'm not a huge fan of the default control setup, but I'm still trying to work out how best to utilize the radial menus. On that note, I do have various feedback.

[b][u]Radial Menu Feedback[/u][/b]
I really like the idea of the radial menus, but I'm running into a couple of different issues with them.

First problem: If I map the buttons for each of the radial menus to opposite sides of the controller, the one on the left side becomes a finger-stretching exercise to use since I have to also use the left stick to make the selection. Ideally, it'd be nice to choose which axis/buttons I want to use for each radial menu. In my custom mapping, I'd prefer to use the share/options buttons for the radial menus, but the share button is just above the left stick. For now, I've had to make do with using only one radial menu rather than both due to this limitation.

Second problem: Immediately after selecting some option from the radial menu, if I fail to release the stick quick enough, then my ship strafes in the direction of the selection. This isn't a huge deal with the default controls because that's the stick for strafe and most ships won't move much with a little unexpected strafing, but considering my custom controls have primary steering/pitch on the left stick, it's very annoying, especially in an agile ship. To avoid having this happen, I've tried to release both at the same time, but that creates a different problem where I might release the stick slightly before the button which causes the selection I was trying to make to not be applied. It would be nice to have an option that we can turn on to require the stick to return to the neutral (or at least dead zone) position before the game accepts input from it after making a selection from the radial menu.

Third problem: I discovered by accident that radial menus can also be accessed while using platform controls (depending on how you map your controls). It actually might be really cool to utilize these for accessing various menus quickly since things like travel drive and scan mode don't make sense while walking around a station. I also found that there were other quirks like "autopilot" being available to trigger from the menu while walking (did nothing that I could tell) and "dock" (which teleported me to my ship). I didn't fully experiment with this as it seemed unintended. If you do want to make these available during platform controls, we'll need some way to configure what commands should be in each slot separately from the ship, and labels should be automatically adjusted to make sense in the context of the platform controls.

[b][u]General Controller Feedback[/u][/b]

I'm happy to see that the 7.0 beta fixes one gripe I've had with my setup: When using the mouse to select specific objects while flying, my guns no longer get stuck in some random position until I start firing. They now properly always track the target (no more firing into empty space to reset this, yay).

One other huge problem that's a real pain and has gotten me killed more than a few times and still isn't addressed: If I use the mouse while flying around (again to select specific objects), the throttle gets reset to 0 the moment I touch anything on the controller! While I do have buttons mapped on the controller for helping me select things, I often find myself in situations where I'd like to target a specific enemy. Due to this problem, I've had to try to remember to not do this during combat at all, and for normal flying around, I end up having to tap the full throttle/boost button after each time this happens. I'd really like some option that allows me to disable this behavior of resetting the throttle when I switch input devices because I use a combination of mouse + keyboard + gamepad all the time.

Another problem is that during platform controls, I'm unable to specify an interact button mapping different from flying controls. I sort of get why you would expect the same button to be used in both contexts, but with how I have my custom controls mapped, the interact button isn't allowed to be the same as the "accelerate" control. When flying, I'm quite ok with mapping interact to the touchpad press since it's pretty much only used to answer an incoming comms. When using platform controls, however, it's kind of awkward, especially since I can properly map accept/cancel/back to the cross/circle buttons as I'd expect to.

For some controls, like loot magnet and maybe run/crouch, it'd be nice to have an option to make those toggle controls rather than hold controls. I guess run already kind of functions as a toggle as it remains in effect until you stop moving (contrary to the picture of the default controls).
Attachments
inputmap_3.xml
(57.56 KiB) Downloaded 2 times

Spreadinator
x4

Post by Spreadinator » Sun, 19. May 24, 14:32

Okay, this has been a thing in X4 for a very long time. Currently, for those people who are using Virpil joysticks or any other, we are limited by 32-button input. It would really go a long way if the maximum button input could be doubled. The reason is that, in most cases, we want to be able to map triggers to the same multiple buttons, and it's just not possible with the current limitations.

So I kindly request to increase the button cap in X4 to give love to all joystick users

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”