[FEEDBACK] Input Profiles

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

[FEEDBACK] Input Profiles

Post by Ketraar » Tue, 2. Apr 24, 18:46

Info
With an emphasis on making the game more accessible and enjoyable for all, the 7.00 Public Beta of X4 has introduced enhanced button remapping and ready-made control profiles to match your steering needs in space. Furthermore, during the course of the beta phase, we also aim to implement a new standard profiles. Here, we ask for your support, both your feedback on the options themselves but also to submit you own custom profiles if you have them.

Should you want to submit your profile please make sure to state if its for M&K, Controller or Joystick. In the case of Joysticks, and to a lesser extent also controller profiles, state the type so we can associate them to the profile.

Default Profile:
For 7.00 Beta 5, we have changed the default controller profile to the game. We'd like to ask you to try out this new default profile and let us know how you feel about the default settings, which mappings you find better, etc.

X4 Controller Layout 7.00.png

The default controller profile has been changed, specifically to make the new radial menus available on controllers (via buttons X and Y). If you have a custom profile already, it will not be affected. To try out the changes, save your custom profile and load the profile called "Default - Keyboard & Mouse / Controller". This is a open process still and we are looking for suggestions for the mappings. Please share which mappings you would change or if at all. You can just make your changes in the game settings and send us your inputprofile.xml

Feedback Notes:
  • General Feedback on the new options, especially the new radial menu
  • Feedback and suggestions for input profiles for Mouse and Keyboard
  • Feedback and suggestions for input profiles for Controller
  • Feedback and suggestions for input profiles for Joysticks
Known Issues:
  • TBA

pbright
x4

New controller mapping gui

Post by pbright » Thu, 4. Apr 24, 22:49

Love the new controller mapping GUI rework! Great job developers! The old version was a nightmare and this one is as smooth as butter. Still trying to determine new mappable options... but I had to give feedback just on the mapping process improvement!!!!!

pbright
x4

Re: [FEEDBACK] Input Profiles

Post by pbright » Fri, 5. Apr 24, 03:53

How about a profile for dual Virpil controllers:

VPC Constellation ALPHA-R https://virpil-controls.us.com/vpc-cons ... pha-r.html
VPC Constellation ALPHA-L https://virpil-controls.us.com/vpc-cons ... pha-l.html

Endellur
x4

Post by Endellur » Fri, 5. Apr 24, 05:20

A profile for dual vkb would be nice as well. I can help if needed.

MakerLinux
x4

Post by MakerLinux » Fri, 5. Apr 24, 15:32

Are there any instructions on how to use the radial menus? Only thing so far that I figured out is assigning keys to the two menus. However they are mostly empty and I couldn't see where to assign actions to them, and I can't even select them with the key pressed.

Is there any plan to implement the radial menus as a toggle instead of having to keep the key pressed? So that when you select one of the options it would automatically disappear.
Brazilian Linux-only user living in Poland, https://steamcommunity.com/id/patolinux on Steam. PC I use for playing: Ryzen 7 7800X3D with 64 GB 6GHz DDR5 CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX, ArchLinux
Controllers: steam controller via Steam Input or HOTAS set: TSaitek X52 Pro + MFD F-16 + G29 pedals.
VR headset: Valve Index & Meta Quest 2. My other PC: Steam Deck OLD with nReal AIR AR headset

HeinzS
x4

Post by HeinzS » Sat, 6. Apr 24, 09:56

before, we had "nearest enemy" as well as " next enemy" :gruebel:

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sat, 6. Apr 24, 10:27

HeinzS wrote:
Sat, 6. Apr 24, 09:56
Should still be there - at least it is for me:

Using the search (exzellent idea to add that btw!) might help finding individual settings.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sat, 6. Apr 24, 10:38

MakerLinux wrote:
Fri, 5. Apr 24, 15:32
Are there any instructions on how to use the radial menus? Only thing so far that I figured out is assigning keys to the two menus. However they are mostly empty and I couldn't see where to assign actions to them, and I can't even select them with the key pressed.

Is there any plan to implement the radial menus as a toggle instead of having to keep the key pressed? So that when you select one of the options it would automatically disappear.
An excellent question - as a mouse&keyboard user the only use the radial menu for now has is to quickly look up keybindings :mrgreen:

There seems to be no way both select and trigger any of those slot actions - they even seem to be greyed out... :gruebel:

Spoiler
Show

HeinzS
x4

Post by HeinzS » Sat, 6. Apr 24, 11:01

chew-ie wrote:
Sat, 6. Apr 24, 10:27
HeinzS wrote:
Sat, 6. Apr 24, 09:56
Should still be there - at least it is for me:

Using the search (exzellent idea to add that btw!) might help finding individual settings.
friendly ships are also selected for the next target, but I only want to select enemies in combat.

flexoleonhart
x4

Post by flexoleonhart » Sat, 6. Apr 24, 11:48

Can't modify option for mouse/keyboard:
Slider set Left limit
Slider set Right limit
Trying to set "Shift+A/D" keys, but nothing happen.
Trying to set any other inputs - worked ONLY mouse left/right/up/down

MakerLinux
x4

Post by MakerLinux » Sat, 6. Apr 24, 13:22

Found the answer to my question in the steam forums: https://steamcommunity.com/app/392160/d ... 945316190/

Basically it's the right side of the input configuration
Brazilian Linux-only user living in Poland, https://steamcommunity.com/id/patolinux on Steam. PC I use for playing: Ryzen 7 7800X3D with 64 GB 6GHz DDR5 CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX, ArchLinux
Controllers: steam controller via Steam Input or HOTAS set: TSaitek X52 Pro + MFD F-16 + G29 pedals.
VR headset: Valve Index & Meta Quest 2. My other PC: Steam Deck OLD with nReal AIR AR headset

HeinzS
x4

Post by HeinzS » Sat, 6. Apr 24, 13:30

HeinzS wrote:
Sat, 6. Apr 24, 11:01
friendly ships are also selected for the next target, but I only want to select enemies in combat.
Correction, "next target" works as it should :) :roll:

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sat, 6. Apr 24, 18:20

MakerLinux wrote:
Sat, 6. Apr 24, 13:22
Found the answer to my question in the steam forums: https://steamcommunity.com/app/392160/d ... 945316190/

Basically it's the right side of the input configuration
That part was obvious - what tricked me is this: you can't use the radial menu when on foot. You have to pilot a ship, then the mouse movement will select slots and clicking the left mouse button will execute the bound action.

Spoiler
Show

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Sat, 6. Apr 24, 19:10

Radial Menu :

I'm probably weird with these, they seem to have a lot of fans, but I hate them.

Cyberpunk introduced a radial menu for selecting weapons, and it really put me off the game.
I dont know why, but it always feels awkward to me to mentally shift from what you are doing in game with the mouse, to then have to move your mouse differently to make a selection, in Cyberpunk that is more relevant because when you want to make a quick change of weapon to respond to enemies you are battling, I end up in a bit of a flap trying to select the weapon I want, and the sensitivity of the mouse on these radial menus is sometimes different to the rest of the game and so you can shoot past what you want to select, and probably take a bit more damage than I would without a radial menu selection. I think they were in one of the Assasins creed games aswell, didn't buy the game purely because of the radial menu.

Thankfully in X4 we are not forced to use them.
Sorry but not a fan of these things.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Codejnki
x4

Post by Codejnki » Sat, 6. Apr 24, 22:00

I am struggling to add a keyboard mapping that includes a modifier key.

I'm attempting to map ALT+F to the "Display FPS Counter" option (as an example). The pop-up closes when the ALT key is pressed, but the additional key is not picked up.

Am I doing something incorrect, or are others seeing this same behavior?

Codejnki
x4

Post by Codejnki » Sat, 6. Apr 24, 22:06

Codejnki wrote:
Sat, 6. Apr 24, 22:00
I am struggling to add a keyboard mapping that includes a modifier key.

I'm attempting to map ALT+F to the "Display FPS Counter" option (as an example). The pop-up closes when the ALT key is pressed, but the additional key is not picked up.

Am I doing something incorrect, or are others seeing this same behavior?
I may have figured out my difficulty. Looking in the Input Modifiers screen, I see that only two Keyboard Modifier options are available to us currently using SHIFT and CTRL.

Can we add a 3rd keyboard modifier so we can also use ALT as a modifier?

DizzieDawgie
x4

Post by DizzieDawgie » Sat, 6. Apr 24, 23:59

I cannot control parts of the map with a controller. I had loaded the "Default - Keyboard & Mouse / Controller" profile. I use a Power-A XBox controller. I couldn't complete the map tutorial because I can't move the "pointer". I can zoom in/out and pan/rotate the map, but I can't directly move the little crosshair/cursor to select things on the map. Also during the map tutorial I wants me to reset the map by selecting the character name at the top-left (the "Reset to top view (R)." function), but I couldn't find a way to move the selection into that part of the screen with the controller.

Codejnki
x4

[7.0 Beta 1] Bug -- Analog look drastically slower (dual VKB)

Post by Codejnki » Sun, 7. Apr 24, 01:12

I'm reporting an issue with the analog look inputs. On 7.0_1, the analog look speed is dramatically slower than on 6.2. I confirmed this by switching off the beta to verify that the expected behavior returned.

I have a dual VKB EVO setup. The A1 HAT has two modes, one for digital inputs and one for analog inputs. Using the analog mode, I configure the left and right HAT sticks to have movement mapped on the left-hand side while the right-hand side handles look. This gives a mapping that works like an FPS using a controller.

I am loading my custom input map into both versions. You can find a copy of my configuration here: https://github.com/codejnki/x4_vkb.

The analog inputs in both 6.2 and 7.0_1 map as follows:
FP Look Left-Right -> X Rotation
FP Look Up-Down -> Y Rotation

In 6.2, the motion is fluid and smooth, and the action resembles what you expect.

In 7.0_1, though, the look motion ranges from exceedingly slow to none.

I've tried adjusting the "Controller / Joystick: Sensitivity" values, but there is no noticeable difference in movement speed.

One interesting discovery in my testing is that if I slowly push the stick in a direction, there will be faster movement than if I quickly push the stick in the same direction. There is almost no movement if I quickly push the stick in a direction.

Hopefully, this is enough information for you. If you need anything else, please let me know.

Codejnki
x4

Post by Codejnki » Sun, 7. Apr 24, 03:44

DizzieDawgie wrote:
Sat, 6. Apr 24, 23:59
I cannot control parts of the map with a controller. I had loaded the "Default - Keyboard & Mouse / Controller" profile. I use a Power-A XBox controller. I couldn't complete the map tutorial because I can't move the "pointer". I can zoom in/out and pan/rotate the map, but I can't directly move the little crosshair/cursor to select things on the map. Also during the map tutorial I wants me to reset the map by selecting the character name at the top-left (the "Reset to top view (R)." function), but I couldn't find a way to move the selection into that part of the screen with the controller.
I wonder if this behavior is related to the same bug I posted.

viewtopic.php?f=192&t=460932

ahmetsa
x3fl

Post by ahmetsa » Sun, 7. Apr 24, 04:32

Can we have separate input for advanced satellite and satellite. currently it just deploys best satellite available. possibly for mines too.

A key to rename selected ship.(perhaps mass rename function would be more important than that)

A key to eject from ship.

A key to tell wing withdraw and hold.

A key to drop mine or satellite on map rather than using dropdown menu...

as far as making game accessible though, things need to change are on map interaction side mostly. it took me hours to figure out i need to select ship then point to a map position to give command(coming from x3).

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”