[FEEDBACK] Input Profiles

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

Maelstrome26
x3tc

[7.00 b1] Radial menu doesn't have a keybind set?

Post by Maelstrome26 » Sun, 7. Apr 24, 15:51

What is the default keybind meant to be for the new radial menu? As it appears to not be set for me? Save loaded from 6.x to 7.x if that matters.

chew-ie
x4

Re: [7.00 b1] Radial menu doesn't have a keybind set?

Post by chew-ie » Sun, 7. Apr 24, 15:55

Just look it up in the key bindings. There is an integrated search now.

If you didn't change anything then you'll see the default there. Also, savegames have nothing to do with settings.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

c0sm1k
x4

Re: [FEEDBACK] Input Profiles

Post by c0sm1k » Mon, 8. Apr 24, 10:51

Hello,

Thanks for your work on this imput configuration. This work is much appreciated.

Here is a bit of constructive feedback :

Quick Access Menu : Very good idea, quite versatile. Although for m&k (mouse and keyboard) users and HOTAS users alike, holding the imput then releasing it while aiming the founction you aim for, would be much faster and convenient than having to click it.

A lot of people were asking for a possibility to remap modifier. It happens that i have a suggestion regarding this feature. An other batch of versatility could be reach by adding 4 very simple options (yet not that simple to implement) for each control mapping : Press, hold, release, double tap. That way, you can record any input combo while mapping, and change modifiers as well. It also allow you to remove any options involving "hold or toggle" like for mouselook.

Mouselook by the way, could be improved and unified with external view. Meaning that you could use direct mouse input to look around in external view (instead of an (inverted by default) mouse steering converted to pan imput), just like you do in internal view. An other QOL improvment would be to maintain mouse steering input while using mouselook. Meaning that when you press the "mouse look" key while steering, instead of going straight, removing any steering input, your ship could continue its turn on the rate you choosed before hitting mouse look key, while taking a quick look to your target. This could be very usefull in combat, but would be also much appreciated out of combat for pure contemplation concerns.

In the same way, a huge QOL improvment could be made for m&k users with a very simple feature : reset mouse cursor to the center of the screen when triggering mouse steering on. Yes, otherwises, if your mouse cursor isn't perfectly centered when engaging mouse steering, your ship always start to steer in random directions.

That's it for today,

Thanks for your work and fly safe,

c0sm1k.

Jokeuhl
x4

[FEEDBACK] Radial Menu stick bind

Post by Jokeuhl » Mon, 8. Apr 24, 19:46

Can we please have the ability to change the stick that is used in selection for the radial menus? I want to use both menus, but the right stick is bound to selection, and I want to use d-pad to activate the menus, which means I would have to be Houdini to select anything from them with the right stick. Thanks in advance.

Jokeuhl
x4

BUG REPORT: 7.0 Interact Menu fails for Owned ships.

Post by Jokeuhl » Mon, 8. Apr 24, 20:02

I have my interact menu set to Right mouse and A on my controller. When in game I am able to target ships other than owned ships and the interaction menus come up. However when I attempt to do the same with my owned ships (Green to me) the screen flickers and the menu does not come up. Thanks in advance for the wonderful update to explore. This happens both in my save games from before the patch and in new games after the patch. I have already verified files.

Save game available autosave 1 or save 3
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... drive_link

Jokeuhl
x4

Re: BUG REPORT: 7.0 Interact Menu fails for Owned ships.

Post by Jokeuhl » Mon, 8. Apr 24, 20:08

Also here is a video I made with the interact menu failing among other things. https://rumble.com/embed/v4l75rn/?pub=torub

Jokeuhl
x4

Re: [FEEDBACK] Radial Menu stick bind

Post by Jokeuhl » Mon, 8. Apr 24, 20:24

I actually meant the LEFT stick is bound to selection, and I want to be able to use the right one. sorry.

Jokeuhl
x4

Post by Jokeuhl » Mon, 8. Apr 24, 21:50

MakerLinux wrote:
Fri, 5. Apr 24, 15:32
Are there any instructions on how to use the radial menus? Only thing so far that I figured out is assigning keys to the two menus. However they are mostly empty and I couldn't see where to assign actions to them, and I can't even select them with the key pressed.

Is there any plan to implement the radial menus as a toggle instead of having to keep the key pressed? So that when you select one of the options it would automatically disappear.
On the right hand side of each control you assign is a drop down menu that can be used to customize the radial dialogue. Easy peasy! LMK if you don't see it.

Codejnki
x4

Re: [7.0 Beta 1] Bug -- Analog look drastically slower (dual VKB)

Post by Codejnki » Wed, 10. Apr 24, 01:17

As an additional data point, when seated in a cockpit, it works as expected. This appears to be limited to walking mode.

sirprosik
x4

Post by sirprosik » Wed, 10. Apr 24, 04:47

Can we please get T-Target to not 'target' the ship on the flight deck? When the player is piloting the ship?
Can we please get T-Target to not 'target' the modules of the ship we want to dock on?
As in hitting T to select the ship in front and instead of getting the "ship" we get a subcomponent.

Sogjapkofy

Post by Sogjapkofy » Wed, 10. Apr 24, 13:25

Double tap X (forward) should enter travel mode.
Double tap Z (backward) should hard stop (like backspace).
Pressing Z or X during travel mode should cancel it.

Reson is both travel mode and stop are commonly used tools and require convenient and intuitive way of use to not overwhelm new players.

Sogjapkofy

Post by Sogjapkofy » Wed, 10. Apr 24, 23:20

As a new player I just can't get used to default controls. Every time I make a break, I start messing it up. Ended up remapping acceleration and deceleration to W and S, and moved up and down to space and alt. Also changed crouch in FP mode to alt for consistency. The difference is big, piloting became way way easier.
I'm using shift+S full stop and shift+W for travel mode. From my experience there is a great need to have stop action under left hand.
I also wish there was a way to use double tapping a key as an input.
J key is free, can be assigned to missions. RPGs usually use this key for mission journal.

LordAmaury

Post by LordAmaury » Fri, 12. Apr 24, 08:04

Hello everyone,

I use an Xbox controller on my side and play on my sofa. I haven't played X4 for a while because I found the game too difficult to access with a gamepad.
The addition of the radial menu is a good step forward in terms of accessibility for controller players.

I have two comments to make on this subject and a few ideas for taking it even further:

1 - Add an option to activate/deactivate the radial menu without having to hold down the button, then and add a validation button. This is necessary for #2

2- Add an option to change the selection stick in the radial menu (Ex : I wanted to change the radial menu open button by linking it to the DPad-UP. The problem is that I use my left thumb to press DPad-UP, and then it's not practical at all to use the left stick while holding down DPad-UP).

In addition, here are a few ideas that would greatly improve the comfort of gamepad players:

1 - Add an option to associate a button (by holding it down), this way we coul'd use the same button for two different things (push / hold)

2 - Add the possibility of associating button combinations, many games use them, it's very practical and completely avoids having to open a menu.
Ex: RT + Y / RT + B / RT + A / RT + X and same for LT + Y / LT + B / LT + A / LT + X
If you don't allow them to be configured because that can be complicated, I think that at the very least offering basic mapping for the most common actions would be really great.

3 - This isn't really linked to controller configuration: add an option to automatically select the element in front of your sight (I don't mean lock target, just select it (like if clicking on it with the mouse)) I didn't see it in the options).

4 - In the interaction menu with a target, add a button for "Autopilot".

That's it, thank you again for continuing your work and for considering gamepad players.

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Fri, 12. Apr 24, 21:33

Sort of a repost in hopes of getting eyes on this:
adeine wrote:
Thu, 21. Dec 23, 03:06
Gregory wrote:
Tue, 19. Dec 23, 19:40
  • Enhanced Button Remapping: Tailor your controls with more flexibility than ever before.
Incredibly niche request: Could we have better support for analog keyboards?

I'm not asking for full Wooting analog SDK level of support, but right now if you bind an analog axis for strafing/banking/rolling/scrolling/etc. the game thinks you're switching to controller, disabling mouse steering and other controls as you use the key (since short of specific support it's passed to the game as a controller input). Just having a way to override this behaviour so you can seamlessly use analog keys alongside normal mouse and keyboard would be enough to make things usable. :)
Configuring an analog keyboard for X4 is still largely impossible. Since there's no direct support (understandable since they're still fairly niche) you have to go through controller mapping, which does not play nice with (the rest of) keyboard and mouse.

If I bind the roll axis to Q and E for example, I cannot roll at all while having mouse steering enabled. If I bind the strafe axes to WASD, I can still strafe while having mouse steering on, but the throttle is set to zero as soon as I do. There's no way to disable this behaviour as far as I can see.

Neikei

Radial menu on stick or HOTAS

Post by Neikei » Sat, 13. Apr 24, 01:46

I don't get how the radial menu is supposed to work on a stick or HOTAS:

1. I configure a key on the stick to open up the menu ... check.
2. I configure actions that go into the menu ... check.
3. I press the button on the stick, the menu comes up ... check.
4. I use all my three hats (X52) to make a selection, none of them works.
5. I use the stick itself ... nope.
6. I use the little knob that moves the mouse cursor. That kinda works, but now the menu is somewhere else when I open it up next time.

What am I missing here?

Manawydn
x4

Post by Manawydn » Sat, 13. Apr 24, 18:23

Why are some keybindings "Hardcoded"? Feedback in VOD

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/2117931237?t=0h1m10s

me too0
x4

Velocityone Flightstick

Post by me too0 » Sun, 14. Apr 24, 14:15

Hello there, I am a german longterm player, started with X2.
Love to flight with joystick.
I am using the VelocityOne Flightstick on SteamDeck.
In Desktop-Mode it is recognized by SteamOs, despite in Steam there is only the generic xbox controller setup possible.
Tried much to run.
What works for full control with Version 6.2 is switching in Steam to Linux Native and download the nonsteam startfile for linux.

So everything works fine.

But in 7 beta it´s like sisiphus. Only generic xbox controller setup possible. SteamOverlay deactivated, right position ingame up in the settings,
but failed.

I hope for version 7 there will be a nonsteam "exe" for linux too.

Or has anyone an idea, how to setup the VelocityOne Flightstick right on SteamDeck with all functionalities?

Best Regards to all Pilots

metoo

Neikei

Re: Radial menu on stick or HOTAS

Post by Neikei » Wed, 17. Apr 24, 15:00

Neikei wrote:
Sat, 13. Apr 24, 01:46
I don't get how the radial menu is supposed to work on a stick or HOTAS:

1. I configure a key on the stick to open up the menu ... check.
2. I configure actions that go into the menu ... check.
3. I press the button on the stick, the menu comes up ... check.
4. I use all my three hats (X52) to make a selection, none of them works.
5. I use the stick itself ... nope.
6. I use the little knob that moves the mouse cursor. That kinda works, but now the menu is somewhere else when I open it up next time.

What am I missing here?
So far no answer here or on Reddit (9 upvotes though ...)
On Steam someone recommended to unbind a hat and then bind the controls for the radial menu to it.

The problem: There are no controls to bind!

I looked everywhere: It seems the only way to actually choose an option/direction in the radial menu is with the mouse (and probably with a controller).
So please: Add an option to bind the 8 directions of the radial menu to keys or joystick buttons.

Or better yet: When the radial menues come up, switch the control scheme from "General Controls" to "Menu Controls", so the ship doesn't steer while selecting and we can bind something from the "Menu Control" section to choosing an option in the radial menu.

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Wed, 17. Apr 24, 15:51

I have the same issue with THRUSTMASTER T16000M, in gamepad mode my character moves or the map moves without me pressing anything, tried all the calibration and putting higher deadzone its the same, I played with gamepad off since that works fine, didnt try it now in 7.0 though and seeing this report dont see a reason to, radial menu cant be properly implemented???

but anyway with controller radial menu works perfectly so im happy
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

arquebusx

Post by arquebusx » Fri, 19. Apr 24, 05:46

Buzz2005 wrote:
Wed, 17. Apr 24, 15:51
I have the same issue with THRUSTMASTER T16000M, in gamepad mode my character moves or the map moves without me pressing anything, tried all the calibration and putting higher deadzone its the same, I played with gamepad off since that works fine, didnt try it now in 7.0 though and seeing this report dont see a reason to, radial menu cant be properly implemented???

but anyway with controller radial menu works perfectly so im happy
How do you use the radial with a controller? I can get it to pop up, but the only way I can select anything is by using the mouse. What do I need to set in the bindings/settings to be able to use one of my analog sticks on my Xbox controller?

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”