{feedback/question] gamestarts

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Halpog
x4

{feedback/question] gamestarts

Post by Halpog » Thu, 9. May 24, 05:05

hello

well my question is : arent game starts basicaly all the same ? why we have so many ?

i mean game starts arent any spezial stuff right ? just a background story and a a different spot to start correct ?
the new game start for example let us start in hativa 3 with some blueprints a basic ship and thats it.like every other game start
as terran cadet we start directly the plot for terrans.same for the boron starts or the split starts, they directly start the race plots.
i dont understand the new game start, is it just to have a different background story ?
and whats the differenz between guided and unguided game starts ?

what we could need as game starts is the option to avaoid doing all stuff over and over and over again
i mean we need at least the option to get the HQ

i know we have the budget gamestart but thats not the same .

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: {feedback/question] gamestarts

Post by CBJ » Thu, 9. May 24, 09:03

You do get different stuff in some gamestarts; a different ship, or potentially even something like a small station. Location is also important because it can determine which stories you are likely to run into first. Guided gamestarts lead you directly into those stories; unguided ones let you find them yourself.

The budgeted custom gamestarts are designed to do exactly what you describe; allow you to avoid doing certain things again at the start of a game if you don't want to. They are limited to ensure that players don't miss out on content that they've not played before, and budgeted so that it's actually a game start. If you just want to create a ready-made empire then you can always use the creative custom gamestart. Between them, these seem to cover what you want, so what exactly do you think is missing?

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Fri, 10. May 24, 04:01

basicaly missing is nothing.ofc not . when i wanted to start a new game , lets say for zyarth as a split, so i can either choose to use the game start that puts me into an S fighter and send m off directly to claim a sector, or i choose the budet game start and get everything i need within a resonable "progress" and just fly to the sector and take the quest to claim the sector. if u say it like that well ok , yeah missing is nothing.
BUT , when i meant was : thats not a game start. they are all starting at the same: at point zero. in every game start we have to get the player HQ again, do the plots again , everytime .
iam missing the hardships there....lets say i start as terran cadett.. why i dont start as a cadett in a massive war where my faction alsmost lost anything and is going under because yaki xenon and argons are overrunning them. why iam not in a game start there, where my goal should be to save my faction get a fleet together and fight off foes and claim sectors back to get my faction abck onto his feets ?

as zyarth for example, why iam not starting as a freelance pirate who needs to steal some ships ( not boarding or something ) but running over a station jumping into any ship ther and just steal it , to deliver it to a pirate HQ to get a small fleet together ?
or a game start where i have to bring pilots of marines from a station to a ship that is soon taking off, so playing a taxi till a marina comes onboard of my ship who is offereing me a better job on a L destroyer for example....
i mean stuff like this....so far every game start we have is just a text that " pictures a backround story" and thats it....
game starts should be more meaning full , hard, something spezial, something that gets uncovered after some time of playing

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 10. May 24, 09:53

Since this clearly isn't beta feedback now, I've moved it to the main forum.
Halpog wrote:
Fri, 10. May 24, 04:01
BUT , when i meant was : thats not a game start. they are all starting at the same: at point zero. in every game start we have to get the player HQ again, do the plots again , everytime .
Again, I don't understand what you're saying is missing. Even the budgeted custom gamestart allows you to set stories as completed if you've done them before, so no, you don''t have to do them again every time. If you're asking for a "gamestart" that gives you a completely different story unrelated to all the others, then you're asking for a whole new story, not a gamestart. We've added numerous new stories over the course of the various expansions to X4.
Halpog wrote:
iam missing the hardships there....lets say i start as terran cadett.. why i dont start as a cadett in a massive war where my faction alsmost lost anything and is going under because yaki xenon and argons are overrunning them. why iam not in a game start there, where my goal should be to save my faction get a fleet together and fight off foes and claim sectors back to get my faction abck onto his feets ?
You can use the creative custom gamestart to make life really difficult for yourself if you want to. But again, you're asking for stories.
Halpog wrote:
so far every game start we have is just a text that " pictures a backround story" and thats it....
Yes, because that is literally the definition of a gamestart!
Halpog wrote:
game starts should be more meaning full , hard, something spezial, something that gets uncovered after some time of playing
Again, that's not a gamestart, that's a story.

donzi
x4

Post by donzi » Sat, 11. May 24, 01:48

Halpog wrote:
Thu, 9. May 24, 05:05
well my question is : arent game starts basicaly all the same ? why we have so many ?
Earlier core game starts and first 2 DLC have fixed race, gender.. I guess some are to allow some gender/race options.
Halpog wrote:
i mean game starts arent any spezial stuff right ? just a background story and a a different spot to start correct ?
the new game start for example let us start in hativa 3 with some blueprints a basic ship and thats it.like every other game start
Basically you're right AFAIK -- way into the sanbox with some guidance/plot/tutor available.
I played the beta 5 "The Wayward Scion" start yesterday and yes, different starting point to jibe with the start 'story' with a nova vanguard instead of the the elite vanguard.

To me, the main difference here is:
A) Young Gun = Ship to blow up for HQ free
B) Wayward Scion = Ship to use for a while. ;-)
Halpog wrote:
what we could need as game starts is the option to avaoid doing all stuff over and over and over again
The Accomplished Scientist provides the HQ and some of the DLC starts do that also... then I also have saved games I may use to get me past the initial grind.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 11. May 24, 23:58

Halpog wrote:
as zyarth for example, why iam not starting as a freelance pirate who needs to steal some ships ( not boarding or something ) but running over a station jumping into any ship ther and just steal it , to deliver it to a pirate HQ to get a small fleet together ?
The "jump into ship at station and steal it" ought to be a mechanic and thus available to all players no matter which start they chose. It is not in the game. The closest to that we saw in backstory to Julian Gardna -- as cutscene rather than usable action (and he fumbled).

Speaking of which, the X2 had two types of starts: those that had Julian (and his story), and those that did not. Is it right or wrong that you can in X4 do the plots no matter who you are? As already said, after playing a plot you can now use the "budgeted custom gamestart" to restart with that plot already complete.

Note also that some plots do have "choices"; you have to choose one branch. The end of plot depends on your choice. In order to experience all possible versions of the story you have to replay the plot and choose differently.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Zloth2
x4

Post by Zloth2 » Sun, 12. May 24, 01:44

Halpog wrote:

i know we have the budget gamestart but thats not the same .
You CAN get the HQ via a budgeted game start! What's more, you can drop it in any sector you want. With my current game, I started with the HQ sitting in Silent Witness. There's also the Accomplished Scientist start, which gives you the HQ immediately.

I've got a guide covering this on Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2954241930
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home
and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here! It's wondrous, with
treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross, but it's not for the
timid." ---- Q

TroubledRabbit

Post by TroubledRabbit » Sun, 12. May 24, 20:47

I have always thought that the 'gamestarts' serves as an introduction to the game and those in need of particular challenge or just some personal touches will work their way through in-game modding (aka: budgeted/creative starts).* 'Starts' railoads the player to the particular narrative showing different aspects of the game - that's their purpose and they do it quite well.
Though the idea (kinda obsoleted conceptually) that 'basic ones' (the Gun etc.) needs to cover the whole map in shadows is kinda wrong. Even if you'd been born in the darkest place of 'US Middle West' you'd probably know quite well, but maybe without the details, your immediate surroundings and you'd have a basic knowledge of NY, DC and CAL existence 'more or less'.

The one pet-peeve I have in this matter is an inability to change the gender of PC in some of them and forcing the 'look' (why the smuggle *have to* be dressed like born in the Sunshine (Avarice)? Or why the Maestro errand boy/girl have to be dressed as VIG?

Though 'poisoned paranid' had its own particular charms in X3 ;)

*they have got some limitations, too (you cannot at least in beta) take e.g. Pioneer 'face' you have got only ugly Terrans. And generally lack of customization in the game is somewhat dissapointing.
Even Lower Spec (occasional) Gamer

Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon, kernel line: 5.15, X11
T14 AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650U/Renoir, 32GB

Return to “X4: Foundations”