what i want in X-rebirth

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

frankzappa

Post by frankzappa » Wed, 4. May 11, 20:57

THE_TrashMan wrote:
CutterJohn1 wrote:
BlitzPig_Ham wrote:As for the AD&D comments this is NOT an MMO!
Neither is AD&D.

While there are many ideals from a diceroll rpg that may not fit into a space shooter, certain ideas are not bad, if handled appropriately. For instance, the idea of buffs and debuffs can be handled just fine, in the form of EWAR ships, or command ships. One messes with enemy targetting, the other buffs. Homeworld dealt fine with the concept of group bonuses derived from ships present in the fleet.
Thanks, but no thanks. I don't want no activated "special powers".
Keep it simple - flying, shooting, trading.
THE_TrashMan wrote:
frankzappa wrote:
You totally missed the points of my post, both of them. I'm not asking for D&D or SR2.

The D&D point is that I want thoughtful combat. Pew pew pew lazer fights can only take me so far, and for those of us who grew up playing the Wing Commander, Xwing, Elite, and Freespace games, it's a tired old kind of gameplay that I would like to see evolve. It seems to me that the best way to take it forward is to look at the RPG genre. I'm not saying turn it in to an RPG, I'm saying look at what they do to make combat thoughtful. It should still be fast paced real time shooting combat, but I would like to see a variety of weapons that have different effects, and the player has to choose to use the best ones for the best situation. That is what RPG combat is all about.

The combat in the games you mentioned is thoughtfull enough. I played WC and Freespace and X-Wing and I like them for what they are.
I'm not tired of that kind of gameplay and never will tire.

I don't want the game to turn into rock-paper-scissors or some other monstorosity.

Neither do I, I'm talking about a well made evolution, not a monstrosity. But hey, feel free to disagree, you can have your opinion, I can have mine, ok?

Oh and if all you want is "flying, shooting, trading", may I recommend Terran Conflict....

THE_TrashMan
x4

Post by THE_TrashMan » Wed, 4. May 11, 21:10

Evolution is an overused word, trumped so much that I hate it. Evolution can produce dead ends and crap.
- Burning with Awesomeness

- Pontifex Maximus Panaidia Est Canicula Infernalis

frankzappa

Post by frankzappa » Wed, 4. May 11, 21:12

Sounds like you don't have much confidence in Egosoft. Either that or you are just a very negative person, and you are desperately trying to drag me down to your level. It won't work, because I understand that if it wasn't for evolution we would still all be playing Pong. (Well we would even have computers if everyone thought like you..)

THE_TrashMan
x4

Post by THE_TrashMan » Wed, 4. May 11, 21:23

"Drag you down to my level"?
What is that even supposed to mean? (in the context of this thread)

Nah. Don't try to read between the lines, read what I wrote. Evolution is an overused word that practicly every devloper out there uses. It's a catchphrase, and nott even a good one, since evolution doesn't always produce good results.

And yes, I'm rather negative lately. The industry has served only disspointmet after dissapoinment for me to digest. It tends to make one carefull.

frankzappa

Post by frankzappa » Wed, 4. May 11, 21:25

I don't want to talk about it with you anymore. They have my suggestions, and thankfully it's for Egosoft to decide, not you.

[FFCW]Urizen
x4

Post by [FFCW]Urizen » Thu, 5. May 11, 16:32

THE_TrashMan wrote:Evolution is an overused word, trumped so much that I hate it. Evolution can produce dead ends and crap.
Command & Conquer 4 was an Evolution :lol:

aaaah, FS2, how i hated not being able to fit my fighter completely with kayser´s, due to their energy drain :D

but btt:

Weapons designed to fulfill a specific role though would be nice, the ion disruptor sounds nice in that way, but its to less (atleast for me, capping isn´t my kind of game). Missiles are often useless, except for the usual suspects 8) , so a little tweak here and there would be nice (maybe more speed and less range :wink: ).

And bring back the sohnen from X3:R X-tended :twisted:
Insanity is just another form of brilliance!

frankzappa

Post by frankzappa » Thu, 5. May 11, 22:06

Heh, well evolution implies improvement and progress, I would say that C&C 4 was a devolution seeing as it had less of everything. That's why I still play Zero Hour and Westwood's Tiberian Sun / Firestorm.

I think most games these days are criticised for being "dumbed down", "consolised", and "streamlined" (which is basically the same thing). But all of those things are the opposite of evolution. They would say evolution if they could... But they know that they could never get away with calling something like Dragon Age 2 an evolution. So instead they use words like "Streamlined", which is just politician speak for dumbed down.

I just can't see that happening to the X series though. Like Arma 2, the Xseries is one of the few games left that is a proper "computer" game, and not just another console port. It pushes our hardware and looks great, it has deep controls that make the most out of our keyboards/mouse/joysticks, and isn't just simplified for a console controller, and it provides challenging gameplay that PC gamers traditionally like. It just seems that they are one of the few companies left that know they can make money by making great games, rather than just 'selling out' and making dumbed down games for the console masses.

So I'm not scared about talking about evolution. I trust Egosoft. I know they have the talent to truly improve things, without butchering what is important.

[FFCW]Urizen
x4

Post by [FFCW]Urizen » Thu, 5. May 11, 22:12

i know that c&c 4 wasn´t an evolution, they tried to battle WiC and failed.

so far, i only know, that i know nothing about X:R, but i do know, that it will be a great game, but only if they stick to the principles that made X what it is.
Insanity is just another form of brilliance!

THE_TrashMan
x4

Post by THE_TrashMan » Thu, 5. May 11, 22:39

frankzappa wrote: I think most games these days are criticised for being "dumbed down", "consolised", and "streamlined" (which is basically the same thing). But all of those things are the opposite of evolution. They would say evolution if they could... But they know that they could never get away with calling something like Dragon Age 2 an evolution. So instead they use words like "Streamlined", which is just politician speak for dumbed down.
Actually, they did call DA2 an evolution. :D

I just can't see that happening to the X series though. Like Arma 2, the Xseries is one of the few games left that is a proper "computer" game, and not just another console port. It pushes our hardware and looks great, it has deep controls that make the most out of our keyboards/mouse/joysticks, and isn't just simplified for a console controller, and it provides challenging gameplay that PC gamers traditionally like. It just seems that they are one of the few companies left that know they can make money by making great games, rather than just 'selling out' and making dumbed down games for the console masses.
Not to rain on your parade, but it not being for consoles is no guarantee. It's not like "consolitis" is the only reason why seuqels (or games) tend to suck. There are some very good games on consoles. And there are some very bad games that are PC-only.

The suckiness happen when the desv try to change the game too radicly and the changes are simpy not good. And it doesn't even have to be mechanics changes...visual design and atmosphere changes or story changes can also ruing a game.
For example, I love Crysis 1, I don't like Crysis2.

So I'm not scared about talking about evolution. I trust Egosoft. I know they have the talent to truly improve things, without butchering what is important.
fingers crossed.

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Fri, 6. May 11, 11:30

and what about giving more usage to 3rd person view than just waching ships???? i would love to play the fights from 3rd person view in my cutlass :)

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Sat, 7. May 11, 17:10

I'd like to see mods loaded as user specific files instead of program files. I'd like to be able to play vanilla or a modded game by just changing users on the computer. I'd like to be able to play some of these large mods that add ships, stations, and a more active AI without losing my slightly modded or vanilla games.

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Sat, 7. May 11, 17:12

You can do that, just install TC multiple times.
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Sat, 7. May 11, 17:37

True. But that increases hard drive usage for multiple copies of games. Then there's having to keep track of saved games before and after each time you play. Both are relatively minor annoyances and can easily be eliminated by a program designed to make use of what is, I believe, the defacto standard on Windows platforms.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 7. May 11, 17:56

I would like to see a fully separated mod/script folder that could be easily deleted/cleared to switch back to vanilla. Right now in TC we have mod folder, but there is also vanilla script, maps, t, types, director folders that are shared with any addons, so when I have a lot fanmade stuff installed and want to switch back to vanilla, I have delete and reinstall the game (I know I could have multiple game installations, or vanilla state backup, but is it really worth an effort if there should be modding friendly eviroment in the first place?).

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Sat, 7. May 11, 19:02

i gotta say... i dont like mods... i think vanilla is the best :D the only mod iam using is the cocpit mod from IMP... :D

Stryc9
x3tc

Post by Stryc9 » Sat, 7. May 11, 21:32

What about some sort of banking system where you could take out a loan to purchase stuff like ships and weapons to get a quicker start with a percent interest that accumulates over the life of the loan.

You have X amount of in-game time to pay off the loan and if you don't pay it back the lender puts out a hit on you, assuming that if you are killed the bank seizes all of your property and assets to get as much of their money back as they can.
Overspecialize and you breed in weakness, it's slow death. -Major Motoko Kusanagi

Amon-ra

Post by Amon-ra » Sun, 8. May 11, 05:51

Or outfit your ship with Kill switches so if you past the time alloted without coughing up the credits, your ships disabled and sends out a beacon :D

Stryc9
x3tc

Post by Stryc9 » Sun, 8. May 11, 20:19

I suppose you could do that but I've noticed that punishment for failure in the X Universe tends to be swift and brutal. Simply repossessing your ship wouldn't be enough punishment for your failure to repay a loan.
Overspecialize and you breed in weakness, it's slow death. -Major Motoko Kusanagi

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Sun, 8. May 11, 20:23

Regarding switching from vanilla saves to modded saves and back without needing multiple installations? Use the X3TC plugin and savegame managers.
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 8. May 11, 20:41

Stryc9 wrote:I suppose you could do that but I've noticed that punishment for failure in the X Universe tends to be swift and brutal. Simply repossessing your ship wouldn't be enough punishment for your failure to repay a loan.
Unless the ship is worth enough to pay the debt :)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”