what i want in X-rebirth

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

glenmcd
x3tc

Post by glenmcd » Sun, 22. May 11, 10:23

: Mods are great but so is worldwide competition. We need both together in one game. I suggest a form of challenge in which any player can specify a list of mods that are acceptable and/or mandatory within this particular challenge and then register the challenge on the Egosoft site. If you select mods that are popoular with many other players, it is likely that you will get to compete with many others. I would expect many mods that make for better framerate to be accepted (optional) in most challenges. E.G. Complex Cleaner. Other mods may restrict gameplay, such as putting a cap on profits from Nividium mining. As I've grown tired of mapping sectors and installing satellites on every new gamestart I'd personally tend to be accepting of specific mods that do this automatically too. I think this would extend the replay-ability of Egosofts products more than mods alone. Egosoft supplies the game. But players know better than Egosoft how they'd like to play the game, particularly after hundreds of hours of play. We just need the tools to define how we'd like to compete.

: Reloading can be made faster in a couple of ways. Whatever you loaded last should be cached by X:R in a way that is as close to usable as possible. This should get reload time down from 20 to around 4 to 5 seconds. The game can reasonably predict many occasions when you are going to enter some specific sector (like when you command to jump to sector, or when you ship approaches a gate). In these cases, it should start pre-loading the sector as a background (lower priority) task. Reloading the same save over and over is useful for more than just "cheating". It's an essential learning tool. It allows studying of game problems/bugs. And it encourages trying out ideas instead of worrying whether they'll work or not.

98abaile
x4

Post by 98abaile » Sun, 22. May 11, 14:12

Legionnaire wrote:but i would like to see save games stored in a user specified directory,
Oh God THIS, a thousand times THIS.
I don't mind so much when games create games save directories in the My Games folder in My Documents, but when they just dump their stuff all over My Documents, I get so frustrated.

Truelight_Seeker
x3tc

Post by Truelight_Seeker » Sun, 22. May 11, 16:18

It is more than blood, juicy pieces of meat, cruelty and awful shouts from which hair begin moves. As space it not kindergarten, place this rather unfriendly and full of dangers. :khaak: :xenon: :skull:
P.S. I not the maniac, simply want to see terrible and dangerous space on the present. :roll:
[ external image ]AMD FX Quad Core 4300MHz, DDR3 1866MHz 8Gb, GTS250 1Gb, WD Raid 0, Benq 24`, Audigy2ZS, 600Wt PSU[ external image ]
Creator of PC`s "Old School"
"World Harm is transnational corporations and Steam".

Legionnaire
x4

Post by Legionnaire » Sun, 22. May 11, 18:37

Ok to try and clarify what i was meaning, by default you install for example in \Games\XRebirth you the get saves in \My Documents\Egosoft\XRebirth

BUT if you were to install to \Games\XRebirthmod1 It would be nice to get save games for that directory/install in \My Documents\Egosoft\XRebirthmod1

Or you get a choice to specify where you would want to place the saves directory for that install, (again default being \My Documents\Egosoft\XRebirth). So i could set (for example) \Games\saves\Egosoft\XRebirth or \Games\saves\Egosoft\XRebirthmod1

I think the easiest way of doing this would be to link the save directory to what the name of the Installation directory is. So those that install vanilla and stay thay way have nothing they need to do, those that want to play with scripts and mods can do that if they want, those that want to play both ways, and experment wth different mods also have that ability if they choose.

I have enough hard drive space that i can if i want have 4 or more copies of X3:TC installed to different directories/drives, but they are all limited by sharing the save game directory slots.

Another option, give us more than 10 savegame slots with 3 auto saves, and let us name our saves, so we can mark a save game as to which mod its based around, although i would prefer having seperate directories for each save game set.

Legionnaire
Mobo MSI Z270 Gaming M3 CPU i5 7600K @4.2
RAM 16Gb Corsair Vengeance
2x 1TB (RAID 0)+ 4TB SSHD + 3TB HDD + 500GB SSD (Windows and X4 install Locatrion)
Windows 10 PRO
8GB MSI 1070Ti

THE_TrashMan
x4

Post by THE_TrashMan » Mon, 23. May 11, 15:32

Deadbeat_Spinn wrote:
dlryan wrote:The most sensible thing one could ask for would be the most logical thing that Egosoft SHOULD've done a LONG time ago.

Make these missions that everybody wants to complete - the ones with the best rewards - I am specificly speaking of the Sector Bidding from X3;R and the Hub Plot from X3;TC.

The requirements to complete those missions are absolutely, positively, out of this world, retardedly absurd.

I have never once finished either of those, because of the STUPID requirements.
I did the R bidding twice, and the HUB three times (twice under the original 1.0 requirements). I merely viewed them as a challenge. Honestly the things that give the best (or among the best) rewards should be something the player has to work for/put effort in to achieve the goal and not be given out on a whim of minimal work/effort.
Tehre is a difference between work and maschosim. :lol:
- Burning with Awesomeness

- Pontifex Maximus Panaidia Est Canicula Infernalis

Hubert99
x3tc

Post by Hubert99 » Mon, 23. May 11, 19:29

From the trailer ....

... for those who have the strenght to rebuild what once was ...

This pretty much confirms that Rebirth will be a space sim where trading-building will be a basic aspect of gameplay. Good. Pair that with the trademark eye-candy, and I don't want anything else. :)
Thereshallbewings

Gothsheep
x3tc

Post by Gothsheep » Tue, 24. May 11, 12:23

pjknibbs wrote:The problem with putting a savegame directory inside the X-Rebirth folder is that the user might not actually have the rights to write files there! A different folder inside My Documents I can see being OK, but I doubt it'll happen--I've never seen another game with that feature.
Is that why that got started? I'd always wondered.

ANYWAY. As for Rebirth. I'll admit I haven't read though the 15 pages of backposts, so these all might have been mentioned before, but it's easier to apologize than to spend the next two hours reading backposts. >.>

So here's some things I'd like to see.

1: Make nebulas work. This is probably petty, but it does wreck my immersion to see stars through a nebula, and maybe even a planet behind it, but not be able to see the rock 100 meters in front of me.

2: Arm stations. This one always bugged me. Stations shouldn't be helpless. They're big. They generate power. They should be able to mount guns and fight off attacks themselves.

3: Re-emphases characters. This one really made me sad in TC. I don't know who your staff writer was for Reunion, but I thought he was pretty good. Maybe the dialog wasn't so good, but I honestly thought the main plot was well written and paced. The characters were hit or miss, but more hits I think, and I genuinely liked a few of them by the end. Then TC comes along and story, plot and characters got thrown under the bus.

4: Dynamic universe. I know this one has been mentioned before, but I'll mention it again: The thing that always killed the game for me sooner or later was the fact that the world didn't seem to care what I did. I could build a massive fleet and destroy every ship and station in Paranid space, and it would have all bounced back in an hour like I was never there. It made me feel like I was wasting my time. The way I always felt it should work was this: Ships and stations should always spawn from shipyards. Each race has several shipyards, and one 'main' shipyard around their homeworld. If a shipyard is killed, a TL carrying another shipyard will be sent from the race's main shipyard to jump back into that sector and rebuild it. If the main shipyard is killed, it will eventually respawn on its own due to the planet below rebuilding it. So if you want to wipe out an enemy race, first you secure control of its homeworld, and destroy the central shipyard whenever it's rebuild. Then you have to maintain full control over the homeworld (which will be under constant assault) while you go and wipe out all the other shipyards. If you manage that, then that race becomes unable to build new ships or stations, so long as you keep them from building a new central shipyard.

5: Better English voice acting. Seriously, I get you guys are primarily a German company and you consider your English-speaking market to be secondary. But still, please, for the love of Pete, get some better VAs. Some of the voice acting is laughably bad. Especially some of the death yells for pirates. "Oh no blaraghablagh!"

Anyway, that's enough words from me, I think. Thanks!

Hubert99
x3tc

Post by Hubert99 » Wed, 25. May 11, 13:02

Well, you say, you did not read what others have posted. It's not 15 pages of bulshit, it is other peoples thoughts. People like you. Why should I read what you want, when you clearly say, you don't give a damn about what I want ?

Not that it woud matter much, as the game will be as it will be. I like Blizzard for this, when it's done, and how we imagined it.

In art, and I dare to think creating computer games is an artform, there is no democracy. The best developer does not satisfy particular needs, he creates new needs !
I strongly believe X-Rebrith will be even better than former X games. It is pointless to ask for improvements for X3 to appear in Rebirth. It's not X4. It's a totally new game. Or is it ? We'll see.
Thereshallbewings

Gothsheep
x3tc

Post by Gothsheep » Thu, 26. May 11, 07:07

Hubert99 wrote:Well, you say, you did not read what others have posted. It's not 15 pages of bulshit, it is other peoples thoughts. People like you. Why should I read what you want, when you clearly say, you don't give a damn about what I want ?
Woah, settle down there. And please don't put words in my mouth. I never said it was '15 pages of bull', I said that I didn't have 2 hours to read 15 pages of it, but I thought I would post something before I left.

AgamemnonArgon
x3tc

Post by AgamemnonArgon » Wed, 6. Jul 11, 00:46

I would like X3TC with more Alien Races, more Sectors and more ships but wih less of a demand on machine specifications to play the game so that it can be used by anyone that has a PC of any type, to widen the audience.
Obviously flying and owning any ship that I would like to.
Open ended sandbox game with plots and rewards that can still be gained by not doing overlong plots.
Customisation to use the xsp ships that are already available for a greater degree of customisation.
Argon Patriot and Battlemaster
Peace - Through Superior Firepower

Eloking
x3tc

Post by Eloking » Wed, 6. Jul 11, 01:47

Chill Hubert99, I seriously hope you're not thinking that everyone that post here "must" read the last 15 pages.

Gothsheep wrote:2: Arm stations. This one always bugged me. Stations shouldn't be helpless. They're big. They generate power. They should be able to mount guns and fight off attacks themselves.
I completly agree with that one. I also think all station should have weapon slot, like the ships.

Gothsheep wrote:5: Better English voice acting. Seriously, I get you guys are primarily a German company and you consider your English-speaking market to be secondary. But still, please, for the love of Pete, get some better VAs. Some of the voice acting is laughably bad. Especially some of the death yells for pirates. "Oh no blaraghablagh!"
I also really like that one. Damn those voice need a total makeover (kinda like the avatar).

AgamemnonArgon wrote:I would like X3TC with more Alien Races, more Sectors and more ships but wih less of a demand on machine specifications to play the game so that it can be used by anyone that has a PC of any type, to widen the audience.
Obviously flying and owning any ship that I would like to.
Open ended sandbox game with plots and rewards that can still be gained by not doing overlong plots.
Customisation to use the xsp ships that are already available for a greater degree of customisation.
I do want more ship, but no more races. If we're to expect a complete overhaul of the series, you better not ask for too much. Also, I won't mind if the universe is smaller as long it have more content and impressive stuff. I think the whole universe need to be completely redone from scratch, and that the whole "lot of little sectors with gates" need to be send in the trashcan.

Or, to be more specific, 1 big universe and no gate.

pwnstar23
x3tc

Post by pwnstar23 » Wed, 6. Jul 11, 07:00

They need to stop with all this race stuff and make competing companies that fight for resources and sectors, imagine the possibilites if you could start your own company, take and own a sector, tax its trade fight off invading companies, invest in research and development to make better products. Hell you could even keep the race stuff but it should be seperate over arching theme.

glenmcd
x3tc

Post by glenmcd » Wed, 6. Jul 11, 07:21

pwnstar23 wrote:They need to stop with all this race stuff and make competing companies that fight for resources and sectors, imagine the possibilites if you could start your own company, take and own a sector, tax its trade fight off invading companies, invest in research and development to make better products. Hell you could even keep the race stuff but it should be seperate over arching theme.
I think there's something in that, that may even be applicable in TC. Imagine if there was a mod that pretty much took away all of various types of stuff, in order to provide more "theme". For example I'd like a challenging start with no abandoned ships, no nividium and a few other things that make the game too easy if you've played it for a while. The different starts provide a different level of challenge, but it takes only an hour or so of game time to get past that and then it's all the same. Going forward to Rebirth, I'd like to see mods done in a way that are flexible, yet also provide a level of public concensus, so that there are recognised "packages" of mods, that although are not directly supported by Egosoft in terms of software maintenance, are recognisable and so we can talk about play using particular themes. Stuff like making abandoned ships impossible to sell, Nividium mining only possible in the ship that you're in etc will likely find wide appeal. For something more in line with what you're after, a total focus on trade should actually be very easy to achieve as it involves little more than taking a bunch of stuff away, adding only some responses to trading performance (including sector takeover through trade means). The core issue here isn't that TC can't handle this, it's that there's no means of bringing about some recognition to particular mod packages that apply these themes. It would require a public voting system (registered players only), a "signature" system that does not infer maintenance support from Egosoft, and a records mechanism, similar and parallel to the existing system for vanilla games. Performance mods should also find wide acceptance in these packages. While there is an expectation of Egosoft to do all the work on this, there's also an expectation that the results will be profit oriented, and not necessarily what players want. Every hour of dev time within Egosoft costs money, but mod writers are paid using means other than cash. By accepting their mods into widely used and recognised packages, they get what they want too.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”