NEWS: Egosoft announces X³: Reunion, under development

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

scaco
x4

Post by scaco » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 13:16

"Reunion Island: Born there is 3 million years, and situated in Indian Ocean, the island is a part of the archipelago of Mascareignes. Reunion is a small volcanic island of 207 km of circumference with a mountain range peaking in the Hook of Snows in 3069 m. Over his(its,her) 2500 km2, she(it) counts a population about 720 000 inhabitants."

Nice one abyss!!!

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 13:29

Al wrote:While I'm sure its the right thing to do, I was really looking forward to The Return. Guess we wait a little longer and get something a lot better.

That said I feel I have to add my voice to asking for a fix for the XI missions. Not a full blown patch with lots of issues resolved but just a fix for this problem. Its been known about for a long time and I'm sure the exact cause of this is well know to the developers. I have never taken a XI mission as I dont want to negate all the hard work I've put in so far.

Al
I'm with you, Al. I avoid those missions like the plague, yet I've got stations full of them. That and the Khaak capture bug would be nice to have resolved, since it looks like we'll be playing X2 for at least several more months. Please, please, please. :) :) :)
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

BazzaAlpine
x3tc

Post by BazzaAlpine » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 13:36

Noooo. What was the point on getting peoples hopes up then dashing them a month befor release? Now I will probably have to wait till christmas AND upgrade my pc . I had The Return on pre-order the second I could. Started a new game to get rid of the modified and make sure it was compatable and now you just turn round and say you're going to cancel? I work in the game industry and we have a policy of don't say anything till it's out (or I guess in your case it's gone gold).
I agree with one of the earlier posts. I might just say 'Sod it'. Good game but is it worth the hastle.
You could say I'm disapointed :(

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 13:37

I'm guessing it wont happen but I seriously hope that the Devs will consider it. I would be more than willing to help test and debug any solutions or even help with the coding if required. I'm sure there are many others who would also do the same.

Al
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 13:38

Yeah, if they're scrubbing the expansion and bringing out a whole new game, wouldn't it be nice if they finished X²?

A micropatch to sort those 2 specific problems would be cool. If it's a pair of scripting issues (rather than hard-coding issues), there'd be no worries about triggering/working with copy protection either.

So, how about it Apoch? Fancy fixing the XI?
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 13:39

Half and half over here.

Cynical : Valve need to learn from Egosoft. What a brilliant way to extend a release date without alienating the entire community - indeed, get them champing at the bit even more. Things are happening behind the scenes such as the 'c' word - console. Everyone remembers what happened to Deus Ex 2. Massive changes better be for the player's benefit and not for the benefit of the console market.

Optimism : What I already saw of X2:TR looked like a totally new game anyway. With a dedicated new title, complete freedom to create is granted. After a year invested in X2:TT, I dread to think how much of my life is going to be eaten up in something even more involved :D. With a later release date I can probably update my computer before then too.

This is a bold move for Egosoft. It shows confidence - something sadly lacking in many many software houses at the moment. The next few months will be interesting.

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 13:46

Just thought I'd add that the last screen is an artists rendition or a cutscene as is the first. The middle one looks interesting though because that planet looks a lot more detailed.

D_Zorro
x3tc

Post by D_Zorro » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 14:04

pjknibbs wrote:To those saying that there must be loads of time to work on an X2 1.5 patch now this has been announced--do you seriously think that Egosoft has two entirely separate teams of developers, and the ones who were working on X2: TR are now twiddling their thumbs? Not even CLOSE to true. To get X3 out it will be all hands to the pumps--coding, testing, and optimising another patch for X2: TT would just delay the release of the new game. Especially if such a patch involved major changes to the graphics engine, which some people seem to be asking for...
yes it's true but you are forgeeting one thing the return should have improved the engine more so every one could enjoy large battles, but with no return comming, egosoft should release a patch that solves this problem no matter what, i paid good money for this game, and i deserve to be able to play to it's fullest, x2 is still not finished you know. :roll:

DZorro,
System spec: Pentium (R) D 2.66 Ghz, Ram : 2048 DDR, HD : 250 GIG 7200 RPM intern 8 MB cash
Videocard : Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS 320mb : Realtek
Laptop : AMD athlon 64 3200 + 1024 DDR 80 gig HD Conexant AMC Audio, Ati mobility Radeon Express 200

PixelFX
x3

Post by PixelFX » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 14:06

Well I was looking forward to the next xpansion. The screenshots for x3 look good, are those in game graphics or cut scenes? If in game graphics it will be well worth the wait for a few more months for X3R .. :)

Question, not sure if others would agree with me, but any chance or releasing another x2 small xpansion like player space stations or something to tie us all over in x2 while the finishing touches on X3R are worked out?

all I can say is a I can't wait for the next released and it all boils down to one word.

*Twitch*

Keep up the good work
Last edited by PixelFX on Fri, 18. Mar 05, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.
PixelFX

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 14:10

If you take a look at the header graphic for the Ego home page for X3 - you will see a new ship to the right of the header graphic.

Reminds me of a Northrop YF-23 .

http://www.egosoft.com/games/x3/info_en.php

Jeraal
x4

Post by Jeraal » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 14:31

I just hope there will be continued support for X2(patches and signed scripts). I hate it when companies say screw the old game, we only care about the new stuff.
Brute force and ignorance solves all problems, just not very efficiently.

If brute force isn't working, then you aren't using enough.

Zathos
x3

Post by Zathos » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 14:44

X-BTF was a fantastic game

X2 is a worthy sucessor and infinately playable

Take all the time you need to ensure X3 is on the same progress curve

:D

I still have plenty things to keep me occupied in X2. :)
Time to go for Xtreme rank in combat and trade :)
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will all say, we did this ourselves' - Lao Tse (circa 600 BC)

RJV
x3tc

Post by RJV » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 14:47

BazzaAlpine wrote:Noooo. What was the point on getting peoples hopes up then dashing them a month befor release? Now I will probably have to wait till christmas AND upgrade my pc . I had The Return on pre-order the second I could. Started a new game to get rid of the modified and make sure it was compatable and now you just turn round and say you're going to cancel? I work in the game industry and we have a policy of don't say anything till it's out (or I guess in your case it's gone gold).
I agree with one of the earlier posts. I might just say 'Sod it'. Good game but is it worth the hastle.
You could say I'm disapointed :(
Don't get so wound up. It's a little disappointing for it to be delayed, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Give them the benefit of the doubt, and go with the view that X3 will outstrip what The Return WOULD have been by some distance.

Everyone announces games early, and I'm sure the intention originally WAS to have X2TR now, with X3 in (say) 12 months or so. You say 'sod it ... is it worth the hassle?' - WHAT HASSLE? There is no hassle as I see it. The xp is delayed in favour of a new game (which ok might be X2.5 rather than a full-blown X3, but whatever). If you don't want to play, stick X2 in a drawer, sell it on ebay, do whatever. When X3 comes out, do yourself a favour and take a look.

Cheers,

Rob

simonnance
x3tc

Post by simonnance » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 14:48

i have pleanty ot do in X2, though support for the player needs to be continued, and some mini-patches would be nice to fix some for the more iritating glitches in 1.4, like the XI missions.

More material in the form of signed scripts and AL plugins would be great too, if EGO can find some slithers of time away from X3:R that is!

nice one guys, gets rounf the savegame compatability issue and promises us gamers much much more...... just dont let us down :wink:
want the FACTS about X2/X3?
Usenko wrote:Don't get me wrong, I think animals have their place in the scheme of things. It's just that in the case of sheep, cattle and pigs, their place happens to be in neat pieces under the griller.:-)

pixel
x3tc

Post by pixel » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 14:55

Q3 2005 ?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sounds like it will be good though (when it comes out) :)
"I find your lack of belief in the Three Dimensionality disturbing." Mercenary

"So getting this chick back is more than just getting a chick back. It's the concrete manifestation of an abstract policy goal. And we like concrete - right, Vic?"

Red wine...the only way to frag

Apoch
x3

Post by Apoch » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 14:55

is finished - the 1.4 update was the finishing stroke. Sure there are things that can be changed, but look closely at 1.0 and 1.4. X² has already gotten a phenomenally huge amount of post-release support, far more than most games can offer. It's not like Egosoft is leaving a broken, unplayable game in the wake of X3 - they're minor, really insignificant issues. You can live with them.

Releasing patches for X² is a very complex and time-consuming process. There simply are no resources to devote to it right now, everything is getting put into X3. There's no such thing as "just a little mini-patch" - it's a massive undertaking in any case. At the moment that simply isn't practical.

It isn't as if this is really that much of a change. If you were going to restart in The Return, this doesn't affect you at all in terms of fixing game problems - because you're still starting a new, fixed game from the beginning. Hardly worth worrying about, don't you think?

As has been said before, there will be no "1.5" before X3 is released. Unless you all really want X3 delayed by a month so we can drop everything, go back, and roll a patch, then there isn't any point in doing it. IF any further TT updates are made (not likely) it will be after X3 is released and stable - but at that point it doesn't make any sense to be updating TT anymore.
M. "Apoch" Lewis
EGOSOFT Programmer
(and Holy Prophet of Douglas Adams)

fchopin
x3

Post by fchopin » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 15:05

Well what a shock!

I did not expect X2-TR to be released before the 3rd quarter but this is one thing I did not expect.

I have to say that this is very good news as I could not envision all the planned ideas and still have game compatibility.

Now Egosoft can make a proper game as X3 should be.

Al wrote: That said I feel I have to add my voice to asking for a fix for the XI missions. Not a full blown patch with lots of issues resolved but just a fix for this problem. Its been known about for a long time and I'm sure the exact cause of this is well know to the developers. I have never taken a XI mission as I dont want to negate all the hard work I've put in so far
I agree with Al, the XI missions and also the Khaak capping should be fixed in X2-TT, that would complete X2-TT and no further work will be needed for X2. Ego can then concentrate on X3
When there are no more games it is time for music.

frymaster
x4

Post by frymaster » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 15:11

while not dissing the work the devs and volunteer devs put in in any way shape or form, the only reason the three main glaring errors with the current patch (namely, XI mission payment, XI mission duplication, and khaak capture rank before specs bought) have not been protested much more than they have was because of the impending release of the expansion. Now that ain't happening, the issue of these bugs becomes much more pressing, to my mind.

Now that's out of the way, wow! :D As has been said before, this is a very confident move and bodes well for the future of the series. I would perhaps suggest that people don't want so much new graphical effects as faster graphical effects :p but that's nit-picking. I certainly am willing to wait the extra time for a better product.
Math problems? Call 0800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Deleted User

x3

Post by Deleted User » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 15:12

great stuff.Now we're cooking!: )

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 15:22

If it would take a month to fix those 2 bugs, test and release then there must be something seriously wrong with either the code or the development system.

I'm not trying to have a dig but I just find it unbelievable that it would take a month of the developers time to do this.
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”