The Ellie is all mine...FINALLY

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Exekutor
x2

Post by Exekutor » Sun, 24. Sep 06, 11:03

Is the Ellie really so good as the first TL? The Herkules or Orca are very good too and only 2 or 5 mils more expensive. Especially the Orca looks good to me, very good cargo space and still 110 m/s. Is there something im missing whats making the Ellie so good?
Ich bin nicht nur gekommen um dich zu sehen.
Ich hatte etwas Radikaleres im Sinn.
Kill a man and you're a murderer. Kill many and you're a hero. Kill them all and you're a conqueror.

Dungeoncrawler
x3tc

Post by Dungeoncrawler » Sun, 24. Sep 06, 11:33

Exekutor wrote:Is the Ellie really so good as the first TL? The Herkules or Orca are very good too and only 2 or 5 mils more expensive. Especially the Orca looks good to me, very good cargo space and still 110 m/s. Is there something im missing whats making the Ellie so good?
Hello. For me it got to be a matter of pride. It was a long, hard road to enough renown to be able to purchase one. After awhile, I just made up my mind I was going to own one :roll: . Back to choice...if I'm not mistaken, the Elephant is the fastest TL ship. Personally, I like the look also. But I image it comes down to just personal choice. For me I guess, it was the speed (88-132). If you decide to pick one of the others, let me know how you like it. There is always room for another in my fleet :)

CDc

KipperTheFish
x3tc

Post by KipperTheFish » Sun, 24. Sep 06, 11:37

The mammoth is good for building your empire....60k hold lets you shift factories 2 or 3 at a time. Its a tough ship but its lack of speed is a weekness.
If youre up for a scrap........give me Ellie.
Pushing up the anti, I know you're gonna see me, Read 'em and weep, The deadman's hand again.

Hachiman
x3tc

Post by Hachiman » Sun, 24. Sep 06, 12:59

Exekutor wrote:Is the Ellie really so good as the first TL? The Herkules or Orca are very good too and only 2 or 5 mils more expensive. Especially the Orca looks good to me, very good cargo space and still 110 m/s. Is there something im missing whats making the Ellie so good?
I use the Elephant as a flagship because of the speed and 14 ship hangar capacity......But the best first buy IMHO is the Orca...Not too sluggish and can carry two large stations and construction kits...makes for a good OOS defender too when its not building your Empire....Quite an interesting docking procedure ..Like being devoured by a giant green anaconda... :o
Kachi wa saya no naka ni ari
[Victory comes while the sword is[still]in the scabbard]

allanon10101
x3

Post by allanon10101 » Sun, 24. Sep 06, 13:14

Yeah, but undocking from a ED really ticks me off. You have to strafe down for a while before it's safe to leave. I forgot to a few times.

{BLAM...BLAM...BLAM...SHIELDS CRITIC...#BOOM#}.

Not much choice but to reload.

And yes, the Ellie really is that good. You can't really afford a full sized carrier early on, but the Ellie is like a mini-carrier. That is why it's so popular
"Crazy person says what now" "What?" "Thankyou" "What?"
-My last conversation with myself

Etolf
x3tc

Post by Etolf » Sun, 24. Sep 06, 22:27

imho the elle is the best first buy TL.. why? because of the BPPCs, everyone is likely to have 2 sectors with khaak caps in them, and the elle is the only TL that can take them out fairly easily (and by far the cheapest ship that can too). All round, it is the most useful for a first TL.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sun, 24. Sep 06, 22:44

The best way to supply any TL with E-cells is to have a teleporter equipped, and have a freighter that goes and loads up with E-cells, jumps to you and then you transfer over the E-cells.

It's easy, just as easy as if the freighter could dock. In fact it was how I supplied mine in X2 as well, it's faster then waiting for them to dock.

Dang, all this reading about the Ellie is making me want to trade in my Mammoth and go get one again. Like you I'm just starting in the game, but for me this is game number 5.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

synctrance

Post by synctrance » Sun, 24. Sep 06, 22:54

I think even when iam high enough rank to get m1/m2 i still will be flying my Ellie except when im in destruction mood. It carries now all the personal ships i ever need: like a few Novas whith HEPT/PAC's, Falcons with descent freight bay for missiles and Mamba's with 8x mass drivers each. Of course a jag raider to hunt some missions.

Kieren_the_vexed
x2

Post by Kieren_the_vexed » Sun, 24. Sep 06, 22:59

I've got an Elle. I've never regreted getting it. I've loaded it with 8 ppc, 8 hepts, mossy missiles + defense software and a whole bunch of capped fighter. I'm using it a bit like a carrier. It gets itself into troule and the fighters pop out to defend it.

I was very interested to read you can take on khaak cap ships. I've avoided anything bigger than an m6. Is this because ppc's out range the kions or do you just go close all guns blazing ?
Better to let everyone think your a crap pilot than to get in a ship & prove it.

Gargamel_sw

Post by Gargamel_sw » Sun, 24. Sep 06, 23:13

I assume they stay out of range and let the rear turret eat away at the Khaak. I wouldn't wage war in an ele at point blank. A m2 or even a m1 would destroy it easily.

yea, best way to supply e-cells to a TL is transporter device. OR you can dock at the Terracorp HQ and buy e-cells from there :D
I'm slow... what's your excuse?

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 25. Sep 06, 00:34

synctrance wrote:I think even when iam high enough rank to get m1/m2 i still will be flying my Ellie except when im in destruction mood. It carries now all the personal ships i ever need: like a few Novas whith HEPT/PAC's, Falcons with descent freight bay for missiles and Mamba's with 8x mass drivers each. Of course a jag raider to hunt some missions.
No matter how big my empire has got, my personal ship set has always been a TL, a couple of personal M3's (Mamba and Nova Raider), an M5 (usually the Disco Raider), a Boron Dolphin on standby for sector cleanup duty after fights and E-cell supply, and some additional M3 ships with the TL as homebase for support.

I tend to use my personal TL as a taxi most of the time, so I don't have to keep E-cells for more then a one sector jump in my fighter. It's nice to jump somewhere, do a patrol, and jump the TL in again to pick me up when I'm done, or provide running cover if things get too hot. The latter has happened a great many times...

I've used several TL ships in this role, and the Elephant is the most effective, albeit not pretty. The Paranid TL looks nice, so I've sometimes gone over to that. M1 class ships aren't good in this role, they're way too powerful to be fun, even if they can dock more ships.

A little risk is good for the soul :-)
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 25. Sep 06, 10:18

mrbadger wrote:A little risk is good for the soul :-)
"little"

I visited Priest's Pity. Somebody had eaten my satellite there and I do have a station next door that does not work without a ship. "Relocated" a Pirate Base while there. My Raptor was out of Sats, but locals had a full stock. So I picked a roomy fighter (Mamba-R) and did sent the Raptor to errant elsewhere. While I dropped the Sat, a Khaak cluster appeared. Big one. I said to myself: "too big" and sneaked south. You guess it, another cluster was ravaging that sector. Smaller. One scout was down to 5% of hull and lagging behind. I did an approach and killed it. Naturally, the rest of the cluster spotted me at that instant, and I was too close. 180, full strafe and hand reached for the jumpdrive console. Betty was not counting, so I was not sure ... Then, the blackout at 80% hull. and I kept wondering, because I have jumped a Phoenix out of Khaak sector with 80% hull only to see "Game Over" after the jump. This time, I did survive. I rather fly the M1, because I have hard time finding the "little risk" of suitable size. :oops:

Exekutor
x2

Post by Exekutor » Mon, 25. Sep 06, 10:55

I see the point for an elephant, Im 22 hours in and already atleast 3 khaak destroyers in Blue Profit ^^ Seems like I have to push my Split rank. I think my boron rank would be enough (Queens Knight?) to buy a TL, but you convinced me get a Ellie, I wanna kick some khaak butt :D Another XI and I would have enough money (13 mils now).
Ich bin nicht nur gekommen um dich zu sehen.
Ich hatte etwas Radikaleres im Sinn.
Kill a man and you're a murderer. Kill many and you're a hero. Kill them all and you're a conqueror.

Corna

Post by Corna » Mon, 25. Sep 06, 11:32

I went with Paranids for both TL and M6, just because I like the looks of them. Plus the Nemesis has the optimal features: recharge rate + shields + speed + laser banks, and moreover looks like a predator. :)

The Hermes (TL) has a better than Mammoth speed, and still has enough cargo space for 2 L size factories and 2 complex kits, which is more than enogh for my rate of construction.

I have been in a couple of fights with pirates and Xenons with the Nemesis (M6), at one time simultaneously fighting with 4 M3s and 4 M5s, and I lost only probably around 50% of shields before I wiped down all of them. The Nemesis has only 1 turret (up) but with quite big radius, and with a Hept mounted there I often hear thanks from governmental officials for a kill, which I was not even targeting :) - I suppose they were unwary M5s which decided that my back would be an easy target.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”