How can I get back original music without re-install ?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

artao
x3tc

How can I get back original music without re-install ?

Post by artao » Tue, 7. Dec 10, 01:12

Hey all.
:oops:
I was installing some mods and scripts, and kinda accidentally allowed one of the mods to overwrite several of the original game's music tracks. I have determined I prefer the originals.
I thought I'd just copy them back off the install discs, but they must be in one of the cab files, and I can find no way to unpack the cab files as they are NOT apparently standard Windows cabs.
Anyone know of a any tool to unpack these? Or am I stuck with a re-install to get the original tracks back? If so, can I fake install to a temp directory then just copy the files and the old install will continue to work just fine?
Next time, I back up my un-modded game folder (as usual) before messing with anything. That and / or use JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler. ;-)
Thanks.

Zeron-mk7
x3

Re: How can I get back original music without re-install ?

Post by Zeron-mk7 » Tue, 7. Dec 10, 08:06

artao wrote:I thought I'd just copy them back off the install discs, but they must be in one of the cab files, and I can find no way to unpack the cab files as they are NOT apparently standard Windows cabs.
Anyone know of a any tool to unpack these?
Cab files ?, these are probably instalation files, these you can't opened I think, you need to instal game in the temp folder.
I don't remember if in the X2 installation disc are full packed original game (like it has in the X3 installation disc, if you need to back up all game files, you can copy disc data to your game installation folder).
artao wrote:Or am I stuck with a re-install to get the original tracks back? If so, can I fake install to a temp directory then just copy the files and the old install will continue to work just fine?
I don't know, not tried, but maybe if you instal game again into new folder (temp folder).
If you want back up only game sountracks or sound effects, you need:
To back up sound effects - you need only copy folder "S" from your temp instal folder, into the game instal folder (replace it). (I don't really remember at this moment, maybe folder name was not "S", in this folder must be many sound files in wav format)
To back up soundtracks - you need only copy folder "soundtrack" from your temp instal folder, into the game instal folder (replace it).
I don't know if in the game patches have updated or add new sound files.

artao
x3tc

Post by artao » Tue, 7. Dec 10, 22:25

Thanks much. Dun and dun. :D 8)

Dongaio

Post by Dongaio » Wed, 8. Dec 10, 19:23

this folder is "soundtrack". You don't like P.X.D. tracks? :)

Shadow dream
x3tc

Post by Shadow dream » Wed, 8. Dec 10, 19:43

how do you know he used P. X. D - tracks? :roll:

Shadow
Wahre Gentlemen behalten sogar umzingelt von Löwen ihren Leitsatz: Ladies first.
Wann lernt die Gesellschaft endlich, dass Geld erst die Probleme macht, die wir haben?
[ external image ]
Topic - Gallery - Forum - Freiheit

artao
x3tc

Post by artao » Wed, 8. Dec 10, 22:44

just a good guess perhaps ;P I'm guessing also that P.X.D. is one of the few mods that changes the soundtrack perhaps ??
it's not that i don't like them .. they're fine on their own. i just find the techno-ie tracks don't quite fit in well with the rest of the original tracks. The originals just kinda blend into the background of the game and I don't really notice them. The P.X.D. tracks jump out at me more.
That's fine, just personal taste. I have nothing against the tracks in and of themselves. I generally actually turn music off in games, but found X2's soundtrack to slip into the background and not really be noticed rather well, so I left it on.
:) 8)

Zeron-mk7
x3

Post by Zeron-mk7 » Thu, 9. Dec 10, 08:14

artao
Before you instal some kind of mods, make your full game back up, this will be very usefull, because many mods replacing original game files. :)

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”