Traders Tale - Chapter 18 completed

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

SteveMill
x4

Post by SteveMill » Thu, 19. Dec 02, 10:42

Mercenary wrote:Cheers all,

SteveMill wrote:Interesting developments and a good ending. Must carp about the following para though.

"It took its diverted course into the security section. An agent met Tor and guided him towards the offices. Caran was just stepping out of his office when Tor approached. He instantly felt the mood of the big man with just a single glance. The tone of his voice was the softened tone of a man with something unpleasant to say or do. "

Feeling moods with a glance doesn't really work to convey what you're trying to say.

Cheers Steve, :)

I've been reading a bit on how to interpret body language, so I'll see if there's a way to better describe the stance and facial expression of the agent.

In a way yes you can quickly tell if someone is happy, sad, angry et al just by looking at them. The stronger the emotion the quicker it is to get an impression of their mood. Ommiting the expression of the agent was an attempt to leave the details to the readers imagination.... obviously didn't quite get there :(

Indicates that perhaps I need to explore the expressions and motivations of this character within the story a bit more...

By the way the book you recommended is very good and still reading / referring to it... :D

Merc.
8)
Yes - you can judge inner states from body language etc, you just can't say "felt with a single glance" any more than you can say "kicked a ball with his hands." "See his mood with a single glance" possibly.

Glad you find the book useful - I'm getting a lot from the reading i'm doing. Less reading more writing is needed.

Mercenary
x3tc

Post by Mercenary » Fri, 20. Dec 02, 09:43

KiwiNZ

Good spot - corrected.. cheers :)

Steve.

Just got back in the office today.. Not the best examples but I know what you mean.
The original intention using 'felt' as an emotional response to the physical action of seeing. Rather than mixing two physical but contradicatory actions.

I've edited the sentence, and prefer the new wording..

Gandalf The White
x3

Post by Gandalf The White » Sat, 21. Dec 02, 22:20

Bump.

have started to listen to the story again from the start. I am amased as to how far our friend Mr X has come.

Where is chapter 19 them?!

Return to “Creative Universe”