Writing/Posting

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Mon, 3. Sep 12, 23:55

I'm doing it again here, but I end up looking for new replies because I really, really like to talk. As Zaitsev will note, if I am given the chance I will wander well off the topic and end up leaving a massive post.

I also try to respond to anyone that leaves a comment, but then I end up causing people to see my name and expect an update and just get me replying. Instead. And I try not to do that.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

KingsMongoose

Post by KingsMongoose » Tue, 4. Sep 12, 00:35

After reading this topic, I would like to admit to having a problem: I am a forum lurker.

This stems mostly from the simple fact that when I read a topic, very rarely do I have anything new to contribute, and I choose not to repeat the comments others have made. In an argument thread I do this so as to not unnecessarily bloat the post count and add to the amount of repetition others have to read through to follow the argument. This has, unfortunately, become my default posting behavior in almost any forum. The net effect of this behavior is that, in creative forums like this, I almost never give feedback of any sorts no matter how much I enjoyed the creation.

That is why I stated my forum lurking is a problem. I had not thought of it before reading this topic, but I realize that despite how much enjoyment, inspiration and information I get from reading this forum I have never posted a reply. Thanks to reading this topic I am determined to break this habit and post some sort of feedback on every creation I read.

A side effect of reading this topic is that I am now more convinced I should continue with my first time DiD story, which will see first post sometime today. Thank you all.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Tue, 4. Sep 12, 02:23

I don't necessarily need feed back. If all I get is a message saying: Hey! Awesome story. I'm perfectly happy. Start small if you like.

Zaitsev
x4

Post by Zaitsev » Tue, 4. Sep 12, 04:40

Triaxx2 wrote:As Zaitsev will note, if I am given the chance I will wander well off the topic and end up leaving a massive post.
And as Triaxx2 surely has noted, I'm prone to follow and end up dragging my own posts off topic as well. I see it as a sign of passion, though, and that just makes me more eager to write :D

I've also tried to pick myself up and comment on the stories I actually read, as I noticed that comments feel kinda good when I started to write my own DiD. Looking at the posts here I don't think I'm the only one who feels that way.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D

DiDs:
Eye of the storm Completed
Eye of the storm - book 2 Inactive
Black Sun - Completed
Endgame - Completed

The Zig
x3tc

Post by The Zig » Tue, 4. Sep 12, 11:39

To be honest I haven't really tried the DiDs. I thought: "why would I want to read someone else's game?!" Struck me as like watching a blue movie while the wife lies waiting!

When I read, it's the narrative that gets me. The imagination and ideas of the author, and the aspirations, conflicts and passions of the characters.

But maybe I jumped to conclusions. I looked at one or two DiD's and saw, basically, a captain's log - and wrote off the genre. Anyone recommend any DiDs with a good story and interesting narratives behind them.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Tue, 4. Sep 12, 14:26

I admit, I'm often guilty of the pilots log style. Frankly, a lot of them start out that way. From Nothing by Scion Drakhar starts that way, then turns into a story of such depth and breadth it actually broke the game.

The other side of the coin is that I don't play the game the same way you do. I don't play it the same way Zaitsev, or Libelnon, or Nathancros does. It's not like say a Call of Duty game, where it's just sort of all the same path, without much variation. X is a huge universe with infinite possibilities of play, and dozens of different ways to deal with the individual problems that might crop up.

It's an infinitely fascinating universe, and that's before you add mods.

46_n_2
x3tc

Post by 46_n_2 » Tue, 4. Sep 12, 14:41

The Zig wrote: Anyone recommend any DiDs with a good story and interesting narratives behind them.
i recommend my work :) cuz i have no shame in random plugs lol... i try to blend narrative and logs together (and think i do decently)

Zaitsev
x4

Post by Zaitsev » Tue, 4. Sep 12, 15:18

The Zig wrote: Anyone recommend any DiDs with a good story and interesting narratives behind them.
If you haven't already read it; Scion Drakhar's From nothing.

Yes, it is written from the captain's point of view, but it quickly grows beyond that and into one of the most captivating and thrilling stories I've ever read on this forum.

Me, I'm guilty of doing the "Captain's log"-style DiD, although I do have a story that's slowly unfolding in the background and affect my characters in different ways.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D

DiDs:
Eye of the storm Completed
Eye of the storm - book 2 Inactive
Black Sun - Completed
Endgame - Completed

Libelnon
x4

Post by Libelnon » Tue, 4. Sep 12, 16:55

Triaxx2 wrote:I don't necessarily need feed back. If all I get is a message saying: Hey! Awesome story. I'm perfectly happy. Start small if you like.
+1 to that.
The Zig wrote:But maybe I jumped to conclusions. I looked at one or two DiD's and saw, basically, a captain's log - and wrote off the genre. Anyone recommend any DiDs with a good story and interesting narratives behind them.
Zaitsev wrote:If you haven't already read it; Scion Drakhar's From nothing.
+1 to that, too. From Nothing started a little on the slow side, but quickly turns into an epic story of... well... epic proportions. And I've only read half of it.

To be honest, it'd be great to see a way we can 'watch' threads in the creative forums, and are updated on whenever that thread is posted in. And then the original poster (narrator, if you like) can tell just how many people are watching. In that way, lurkers can keep lurking, and posters know that people are interested. But, that's just wishful thinking.
Sorry, were you expecting a witty one-liner?

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Tue, 4. Sep 12, 17:09

Honestly, I've noticed that unless there's a story built into the work,. they all start as Captain's Logs, until the story can unfold itself. Each one is a work which features entirely new characters, who have to be introduced before you can do anything with them like creating a story.

gsheriston
x3tc

Post by gsheriston » Tue, 4. Sep 12, 18:40

Libelnon wrote: To be honest, it'd be great to see a way we can 'watch' threads in the creative forums, and are updated on whenever that thread is posted in. And then the original poster (narrator, if you like) can tell just how many people are watching. In that way, lurkers can keep lurking, and posters know that people are interested. But, that's just wishful thinking.
Half of that is already possible - there's a 'Watch this topic for replies' checkbox whenever you post in a topic. However, I'm not aware of any way an author can see how many people are watching. I know I'd have loved that information when I was writing...

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Tue, 4. Sep 12, 19:25

Didn't realize you'd used the name Best served cold. Good story, but it's too sad to read through the beginning. Perhaps later I'll get through it but...

See watching the topic requires posting, which is a problem, because lurkers don't post and so can't watch the topic.

KingsMongoose

Post by KingsMongoose » Tue, 4. Sep 12, 22:16

I now know there's a way to keep tabs on a topic I post in, which will really help a lot but only from the active posting side of the equation as Triaxx mentioned.

As for story narrative and structure, I know mine is going to be captain's log style because I have no clue what I am going to get from playing, I have almost no clue what I'm doing (which really helps for getting into character), and I prefer writing in an episodic manner. This is a conscious decision I have made, like many other writers across many different fields of work. When writing about adventures that you actually play out, especially concerning DiD, I think the log style is a more natural starting format because it mirrors actually playing the game. Over time the writers find a story and tone, and then you get something more like traditional story structure.

Personally speaking, I could care less how many people have/will read my writing in the beginning, and more care for the feedback including everything from "you suck" to detailed advice on the game and writing. As a statistics and data oriented person, however, at some point I would like to have access to that data. My attempts have proven fruitless in the search for how to acquire it though.

gsheriston
x3tc

Post by gsheriston » Tue, 4. Sep 12, 23:13

Triaxx - it's a very old phrase, I'm sure lots of people have used it :) Sorry you felt it was a bit too sad to get through. It's a bit of an emotional rollercoaster at times, so while I hope you stick it out I can easily understand if you don't!

But - the main reason for posting - I missed a link. Look down at the bottom left of the screen, under the page number, and you'll find a way to get notified of replies without having to post...

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Tue, 4. Sep 12, 23:55

@gsheriston: I just hadn't seen it before. Mine is different enough not to be confusing, but I probably would have noticed it.

It's very easy to bring me down so I don't often read sad things. Just me though. What I read is a good story though.

@KingsMongoose: Agreed. I tend towards the log style because I don't build a story well. I can take what someone else has done and expand on it, as I did with Scion's stories, but doing it myself just doesn't work.

Ask the admins. They'll have access to that sort of data.

The Zig
x3tc

Post by The Zig » Wed, 5. Sep 12, 03:21

Triaxx2 wrote:From Nothing by Scion Drakhar starts that way, then turns into a story of such depth and breadth it actually broke the game.
Cool. I'll give it a look in at some point.
Triaxx2 wrote:The other side of the coin is that I don't play the game the same way you do. I don't play it the same way Zaitsev, or Libelnon, or Nathancros does. It's not like say a Call of Duty game, where it's just sort of all the same path, without much variation. X is a huge universe with infinite possibilities of play, and dozens of different ways to deal with the individual problems that might crop up.
I get you're point. I just still feel I'd rather DO it, than just get a blow by blow account of someone else's game. But it's quite possible From Nothing will change my view on this.
Thanks.

Now, my turn to give you some advice...
Triaxx2 wrote:it's too sad to read through the beginning. Perhaps later I'll get through it but...
There is NO perhaps about it, friend. Read it. It was one of the best things I ever saw on here.
I just started reading it now to remind myself of how it went, and now I'm damned because I'm hooked and am gonna have to read the whole bloody thing again![/quote]

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Wed, 5. Sep 12, 04:07

Not bad. I got to chapter five, and just couldn't get through it. I just... too many flashbacks.

Return to “Creative Universe”