Ambition and Ambiguity. X3:AP DiD

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

Poseidon
x3tc

Post by Poseidon » Wed, 17. Jul 13, 23:59

Idleking wrote:Lol, nasty little bugger you've come up with there...
It's not all that nasty. It'll allow me limited use of heavy weapons in a manner more entertaining than barge brawls.
Idleking wrote:1GJ shielding sounds a bit too much for my taste
Yeah, but you're the same person who suggested a Kestral to a DiD player. Your judgement is questionable. :-p

The 1x 1GJ made sense in the Keening, which was less maneuverable. I'm giving consideration to dropping back to 3x 200MJ for the Dearg. This ship is designed to be in the thick of a capital ship hairball, so there's a delicate balance between Survivable and Not Threatened.
Idleking wrote:Moving faster than your own ordnance isn't a very smart thing to do.
You'll note that I called out the PSG, which is the only weapon that is natively slower than this ship. Any reasonably fast ship will outrun a heavy weapon projectile when the Turbo Booster is active.
Idleking wrote:"Watt" already is "Energy/time", so "W/s" doesn't make any sense in regards of reloading your weapon energy.
I got distracted while writing this section, and copied the units from the X3 Editor 2's GUI. I am well aware of the definition of a Watt, and I'm pretty sure he meant MJ/s, but the numbers were only to give relative context. I could have used units of hamster-power and the point would still have been conveyed.

Thanks for reading.

Idleking
x3ap

Post by Idleking » Thu, 18. Jul 13, 11:36

Poseidon wrote:[..]Yeah, but you're the same person who suggested a Kestral to a DiD player. Your judgement is questionable. :-p[..]
Awww, c'mon.. :D

Yeah, you're right, you just mentioned the PSG, I must've kinda overlooked that *hides*
Anyway, I like the way you develop new ships in your R&D. Some nice ideas you've had there, keep it on :)
As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

[ external image ]
Litcube wrote:Don't succumb to the "I figured it'd be ok".

Poseidon
x3tc

Post by Poseidon » Thu, 18. Jul 13, 16:40

Thanks. It's nice to be appreciated. Sorry if I get a bit snippy in here on occasion; we all have our off days.

I do need some feedback though... I've run some balance numbers, and this latest ship trends well with the Hyperion and Acinonyx. It skunks the Springblossom, and falls well behind the Albion Pride. It doesn't have the special features of the Hyperion and Acinonyx, so I was all set to package it up and post it...

...until I ran the numbers on the Gauss Cannon. Seriously. Even though it only has 2 guns, Gauss Cannon on this ship causes some crazy imbalance. Without the checks and balances from limited Weapon Energy, the only controlling factor is the Time-On-Target, and available ammunition.

I can reduce the shields to the point where you are required to keep moving, thereby reducing Time-On-Target, and overall damage per minute. I'm pretty sure this won't be a huge detriment to a skilled pilot, given the 4.78km range of the Gauss Cannon, but it'll keep the fight engaging.

I could reduce the cargo hold to limit Gauss Cannon and Flail ammo, but that severely impacts the viability of the ship when using energy weapons like the PPC or PBC. Also, that cripples energy cell storage, which makes it a nuisance as a player ship. Also also, it wouldn't help that much since a single crate of GC ammo is only 25 cargo space, and is good for 5.7M shield damage or 2.4M hull damage.

Rationally, I should remove it from the loadout entirely... the rest of the ship is well balanced. That makes me sad though.

I could make the GC a rear-turret weapon only... that'd be a strange mechanic, but would limit its Time-On-Target, and reduce the maximum damage output to a single gun... one that fires when you're fleeing, which would augment dps without overshadowing the main guns.

So the question is, how much of a dps differential would you consider acceptable for ammunition based weapons? How do you handle a weapon that is technically in the same weapon class, but bypasses all your checks and balances?

To give you some perspective... the Albion Pride, which was obviously disabled for Player Usage due to being overpowered, is capable of 4.9M shield damage a minute, or 877k hull damage a minute, after taking into account weapon energy limitations. In contrast, the new Acinonyx is good for 1.9M and 716k, respectively. Two Gauss Cannons firing continuously can dish out 5.1M shield damage or 2.1M hull damage in a minute, since they aren't limited by energy... and when you're in a fighter, it's pretty easy to stay on target for extended periods.

My options are:
  • Reduce the shields to reducing Time-On-Target
    Reduce the cargo hold to limit Gauss Cannon ammo
    Remove Gauss Cannons
    Move Gauss Cannon to Turret
    Other Suggestions?

Song Of Obsidian
x3ap

Post by Song Of Obsidian » Thu, 18. Jul 13, 17:16

This is exactly why I asked about cargo capacity :P Because I was considering the Gauss Cannon as a way to bypass the weak weapon energy regen.

I'm not crazy about the idea of reducing cargo, period, for all the reasons you pointed out. Putting the GC in the rear turret is an option. It would add a very unique combat dynamic, that's for sure. Or you could just remove GC altogether and call it a recoil problem or something...dunno. Pulling it would be disappointing but you're right, it's definitely unbalanced.

I don't like the idea of reducing shields either since the shield generator is also pretty weak. That's the impression I got, anyway.

So I'd go with removing the GC or putting it in the turret. Can't pick between the two right now.

Poseidon
x3tc

Post by Poseidon » Thu, 18. Jul 13, 17:40

The shield generator isn't weak by any means.. big shields just regen slower. With an infinite reactor, a 1GJ shield recharges in 556sec. 5x200MJ takes 148sec. 40x 25MJ takes 111s. All of those add up to 1GJ, but hwo you get there is different. Also, a 1GJ is 77 cargo, a 200MJ is 25, and a 25MJ is 4, so it gets more space efficient as you use bigger shields.

This ship was originally designed for the PBC, frankly. The GC on the rear turret wouldn't really ever be used given the other options, so it's either reduce the shields or drop the guns at this point. I'm leaning towards redesigning the entire shield setup, but I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Idleking
x3ap

Post by Idleking » Thu, 18. Jul 13, 18:01

I'd remove the Gauss Cannon. As you've already mentioned, it brings a major imbalance to the ship.
As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

[ external image ]

Poseidon
x3tc

Post by Poseidon » Thu, 18. Jul 13, 18:48

Sadly, I'm going to have to agree. GC just adds too many zeroes. GC is gone.

So, let's talk shields.

I currently have a single 1GJ shield, and it feels too tanky for a fighter.

I'm considering 4x 200MJ, but it still have a tanky feel and regen is faster, buts till slow.

3x 200MJ is a nice balance, and we see that favored by most modern M6+s.

I'm also considering 20x 25MJ shields. They'll recharge very quickly, but 500MJ is quite a drop. This option appeals to me the most, since the original chassis had 25MJ shields installed, and it gives another unique combat dynamic.

Thoughts?

Song Of Obsidian
x3ap

Post by Song Of Obsidian » Thu, 18. Jul 13, 18:55

20 of any shield seems like such a novelty that I almost have to see it. Go for it.

Idleking
x3ap

Post by Idleking » Thu, 18. Jul 13, 21:20

1x 1GJ = 77 XL
3x 200 MJ = 75 L
20x 25 MJ = 200 M

so.. 3x 200 MJ seems the most decent way in shield strength, recharge and cargo.

but yeah, 20x 25MJ shields would look awesome ^^

[ external image ]

Poseidon
x3tc

Post by Poseidon » Thu, 18. Jul 13, 22:02

I walked into the Forge with an obvious purpose. "Jackson, we've got a problem."

"We've always got a problem, sir. What is it this time?"

"The Commonwealth lost an entire fleet to an unknown ship this morning. Singular." I heard the marine suck in a breath in surprise. I waited a moment, then continued. "I've made arrangements to buy information from a Terran with a rather mercenary definition of loyalty. The meeting is in one week; you've got that long to take the Elite team and commandeer as many little brothers as you can. Big Brother is off the schedule now. We don't have time."

I heard the discipline harden in his voice. "Yes sir. We'll get this done."

"I have no doubt," I agreed. "Could you assign a few of the idle members of the Elite team to guard Maddy? This entire situation rubs me wrong, like I'm overlooking something, and there's a very real possibility of personal violence and threats at this point. She would be the obvious target."

"Of course, sir. Anything else?"

"None that I can think of at the moment. Let me know if you need anything. Anything at all. I assume friends were lost this morning, and I'll make time for mourning."

"It won't be necessary, sir. We mourn with our weapons." The soldier nodded, and turned towards the locker room.

"Oh, and Jackson? Thank you."

He smiled and the formality fell away. "You take care of us, boss. This has been one of the best commissions I've ever taken. It's our turn now."

-----

"Atilio, I thought my ship was done," I mentioned into the shipyard commlink.

"Ah, well, it was... but now it's not." He looked more focused than perturbed.

"What happened?"

"Reality happened." I heard the banging of a hammer on a wrench while he spoke. "Just because you can draw it on a schematic and export a CAM package doesn't mean it can be built."

"Alright. What are we doing to fix that?"

Mustard eyes glanced at me through the commlink. "You do this kind of work. How would you fix it?"

Memories of my time at the government lab leapt forward, along with flashes from further back. "Compromise and Optimize."

Atilio grinned. "You had that professor too, huh? She must be 150 by now."

I laughed. "You don't discard talent like hers. Alright, so what did we lose?"

An icon blinked on the corner of my screen, and I accepted the file transfer. The schematic filled the screen, and Atilio's face shrunk into the corner.

"Well, for starters, the ATF Vali battery is gone. We needed something smaller and more efficient, and you can't beat Boron tech for that, so we used a Hydra battery. The next major change was the shielding. That massive 1GJ shield was causing a mess; the Hades wasn't built to handle equipment that size, and we've been stuffing all sorts of oversize parts into this thing. I traded it out for an array of 25MJ shields. Don't panic!" He started waving his hands at my pending objection. "I fit mountings for 20 of them in there. That should give you 500MJ total shielding, and you'll recharge five times faster."

I nodded slowly.

"This did cause some other problems though... even the Vali Reactor wasn't strong enough to power them. We got it up to spec with some aftermarket modification. I also had to rework the entire power grid to accommodate the array. Unfortuantely, this resulted in the loss of all ammunition based weaponry."

"Ouch. No Gauss Cannon? No Energy Bolt Chaingun?"

"Nope. Not even a Mass Driver. The ship is 100% energy weapons. This is a good thing though, since it allows us to optimize everything for energy-only."

"This sounds like a lot of compromise, and very little optimize."

The stout engineer shrugged. "It's still the most dangerous M6 in the universe. I'll take it if you don't want it."

"Alright, alright. I'll pick it up tomorrow."

-----

Congratulations on your purchase of a brand new iWin button! There are some things you should know before you jump into the Xenon Core and start laying waste.

You are NOT a tank! Really, you're not. Strafe. Dodge. Use Cover and Long Range Weapons. Keep Moving. You are NOT a capital ship! The PPC is a beautiful weapon, but your weapon battery is roughly the size of a baby Chelt. Hit and Run. This ship is equipped with some of the latest breakthroughs. The largest corvette reactor in the universe enables Super-Fast shield recharge! Flail Missiles! Auto-adaptive Beam Weapon Interfaces! Wet bar!

Code: Select all

Sidhe Dearg
Class: M6
Shields: 20 x 25MJ 
Reactor: 5000 MW 
Hull: 100,000 
Speed: 68 m/s to 275 m/s  
Steering: 13.3 to 38.6 rpm  
Acceleration: 9 m/s to 36 m/s 
Wep Energy: 7,000 MJ 
Wep Recharge: 660 MJ/s
Max Capacity: 1250 units 
Containers: Extra Large (XL) 
Purchasable: Yes, script buy.sidhe.ship.dearg 
Price: 100M credits

2 Main Guns:
PBC, IC, IPG, CIG, HEPT, ABG Kyon, PSG, IBL, PPC, ISR

1 Rear Turret:
PRG, IRE, ABG Kyon, PBE, PALC, Mobile Drill, Tractor Beam, Repair Laser

Missiles:
Mosquito, Wasp, Silkworm, Disruptor, Hurricane, Remote Guided, Wildfire, Hornet, Typhoon, Firestorm, Flail
Sidhe Ships v6

Raw Mod
http://diffpair.com/misc/SidheShips-V0.6-7.18.2013.zip

Plugin Manager Mod
http://diffpair.com/misc/SidheShips-V0.6-7.18.2013.spk

The Lynx is still buyable from the OTAS Shipyard. At this point, it handles more like an expensive and very capable Fighter Drone, but it could still make a good early-game player combat ship, if jumped around using a TM. ~20M credits.

The Stoma has been removed from the OTAS Shipyard, but can be custom ordered through a script. It's like the Lynx, but with access to Kyon Emitters, and a usable cargo hold. ~20M credits.

The Keening has been left in the game, but it is mostly a showroom piece. 100M credits, and seriously overpowered, even given that price. Not recommended for player use; custom order through script.

The Dearg is the flagship of this mod so far. A versatile M6 with claws, and fun to drive. It offers an alternative to the Hyperion, Acinonyx, and Springblossom without obsoleting any of the above. 100M credits, custom ordered through script.

Idleking
x3ap

Post by Idleking » Thu, 18. Jul 13, 22:41

Hell yes, Jackson's cool!
Keep scratching their backs, so they'll keep scratching yours 8)

And another "hell yes" for 20x 25MJ shields :D

[ external image ]

Poseidon
x3tc

Post by Poseidon » Sun, 21. Jul 13, 20:45

It’s difficult piloting a ship with a plant chewing on your head.

After some discussion, Maddy and I had agreed that she should temporarily move over to the Lobby with me. With all the ways the next few days could go wrong, the Farm was too close to the front line for comfort. We’d packed the Angel with three months’ worth of personal effects and high-maintenance experiments. One of them had wrapped itself around my skull upon my arrived, and had stayed there for the duration of loading and travel. Thulhu had grown to an impressive 2.4 meters tall, with a large number of fully articulate tendrils acting as arms and fingers. Maddy had started teacher her to cook, which confused me on many levels.

We cleared the jumpgate into Benoit’s Insight… officially, the sector was still Unknown, but I had renamed the sector behind Legend's Home in my head. Maddy’s breath caught, and I looked over.

“Are those?..” she pointed, and left the question hanging.

“Yup. I’m still in the process of repairing and refitting them, but they’re friendly. The wing is incomplete, but Jackson is working on it.”

I watched her eyes follow the cacophony of ships flowing around the sector. It wasn't particularly busy compared to normal, but the sheer number of capital ships and stations can be overwhelming. She turned me, a little wide-eyed. “It’s one thing to see line-items on a datapad. It’s another to see it for real. This is what you've been doing, isn't it? This is all yours.” She gestured broadly.

“Ours, dear. This is ours. And it won’t hold a candle to the Archology once I finish it.”

She shook her head. “Quite a bit of an upgrade from the house with a 20 square foot yard.”

I pointed the Angel towards the Equipment Dock, and took her hand. “Let’s get you settled.”

Thulhu wrapped a tentacle around our clasped hands. I guess she was feeling left out.

-----

Jackson walked into my office late in the evening two days later. He wore the kind of fatigue you only see on the overworked and sleep deprived. I wasn't expecting him for another couple days, which concerned me.

"Mission complete, sir. All objectives successful."

I set aside the datapad, and looked him in the eye. "How many?"

He knew what I was asking. "Six, sir."

I breathed a sigh of relief. The number was far smaller than I had expected. "That puts us at 27." Jackson's face showed surprise. "Yes, I keep track. I've ordered 27 men and women to die for me. It's worth it... but I remember. Well done on the Op. I was expecting much worse."

Jackson nodded, and remained at attention.

"At ease. Go get cleaned up and relax. We're done for the week, and the elite team is on leave." I tossed him a datachip. "That contains access codes to a private expense account; you've been authorized for 50M credits. I'd like the nine of you to try and spend it by the end of the week. Come back alive, though... we've still got work to do." I looked back at my desk. "Speaking of which, so do I."

Jackson nodded and left.

-----

I didn't notice Maddy until her hair draped across my shoulder. It had been a couple hours since Jackson left, and I was still working.

“Is this how you spend your time while you’re away?”

I nodded. “If I’m not designing station complexes, I’m refitting ships. If I’m not refitting ships, I’m negotiating with a Terran opportunist that knows far too much about the Commonwealth. If I’m not dealing with him, I’m listening to the demands of an overly-entitled OTAS Colonel. Or I’m managing our trade fleet. Or I’m out on combat ops with the marines. Or I’m preparing for unforeseen combat by getting whipped into shape in the Forge. Or I’m implementing the specific pieces of my plans that only I can do. When I get down time, I spend it with an engineer at the OTAS Shipyard, trying to push the limits of current ship designs. Occasionally, I sleep.”

She laughed, and I felt myself relax a bit. It was good to have her near. “So, what’s keeping you up tonight? I didn't know we had any prospects in Scale Plate Green.”

“We didn't,” I said as I transferred the data to the desktop to make it more readable. “Mr. Angry demanded a larger contribution to the war effort. I believe his exact words were, ‘missile production facilities and refueling stations in every sector from here to Omicron Lyrae’.”

“That’s ridiculous,” she agreed, and adjusted her nightgown.

I nodded. “I've decided to split the difference with a single large complex near the front. This complex is good for Flails, Hammers, Lasertowers, and Energy… things that will allow us to stand our ground without risking loss of life on our side. I had considered drones as well, but they’re too easily neutralized with flak-style weaponry like the SSC. These are a more reliable investment. If I include Commercial Agent Freighters, two Equipment Docks, and CLS Freighters to keep them appropriately stocked… we’re looking at 300M, and moderately profitable.”

Maddy was scanning the sector asteroid yields, and the various intermediate resource balance sheets. “The design is sound, but it doesn't address the real reason Scale Plate Green isn’t popular… that asteroid field is a navigation nightmare.”

I shrugged. “I've ordered an Orca and 10 Lotans, and put them on clean-up duty for the sector. Tomorrow, I’ll spend most of the day towing our new mines out of the mess in the center, and off to the west side. Then I’ll start building the complex.”

“Come to bed. You've done enough for today, and I don’t want you falling asleep while towing.”

I smiled. “In another few minutes… let me get the Mammoths in place.”

“Alright. If you’re not there in 20 minutes, I’m sending Thulhu after you.”

-----

“This isn't what I asked for,” Colonel Edgar Tarquin noted with an edge to his voice.

“You are correct, sir. This is what I built,” I replied casually.

“Well, you failed to follow simple instructions. You’re a disgra-”

“With all due respect, sir,“ I interrupted. “Would you like the bill, or would you like to shut the hell up?”

The Colonel’s eyes bulged. “Insubordination now too? What kind of soldier are you?”

“I’m not a soldier, sir. I’m a civilian that you've bullied into funding your war. I've spent over a billion credits jumping through your hoops, and I’m about to spend another half a billion buying information because you were too impatient to wait for me to risk my life on my own terms,” I explained firmly. “Now, would you like to actually read the construction summary document, or should I burn it down, walk away, and let you use your winning personality to find an alternate source of funding? Sir.”

While not pleased, Tarquin recognized how close he was to losing me as a resource. He picked up the datapad, and started reading. http://goo.gl/N7EoC

“Am I reading this right? 20 Hammers and 30 Flails per hour?”

“Yes sir. It also produces Lasertowers, and an excess for 200k Energy Cells an hour. I have two equipment docks in the sector, with freighters keeping them fully stocked at all times.”

“Why Teladi Equipment Docks?”

“It’s a Teladi-owned sector. The presence of an Argon Military Rearming complex was questionable enough… purchasing their Equipment Docks was my attempt to head off any political complications.”

Eventually, the Colonel nodded. “Fine. Anything else to report?”

“Yes, sir. I am moving forward with my initial plans, despite your recent orders, although at an accelerated pace. One way or another, we’ll have resolution on this situation in the next week or two. I’m still working on the contested-sector vision problem, but that may require more time.”

“Very good, Captain. You can see yourself out,“ he answered frostily.

-----

I waved at Stacy on the way out, then turned and moved towards her desk. I saw her hastily close a couple terminal windows as I approached. "Hey Ops. Can I ask a favor?"

"That's never a good way to start a conversation, Mac," she grinned at me.

"You had offered to train Maddy. She's moved into the Lobby for now, and since it's next door... is the offer still open?"

She thought for a moment. "Is she interested?"

"I haven't brought it up yet. Chances are, she's not. It's not her sort of thing. But I doubt she'd turn down some basic self defense training. Jackson is uncomfortable training her, so I thought it might be a gender concern. Also, I put him on leave after a recent difficult Op."

Stacy nodded. "I'll stop by tonight, and we can all discuss it. Sounds good?"

"I'll let her know to be expecting you." A thought occurred to me. "How do you feel about training plants?"

She stared at me, confused. I grinned, and walked out, leaving the question unanswered.

-----

edit: copy-paste missed the end of the chapter, so added it.

Poseidon
x3tc

Post by Poseidon » Sun, 21. Jul 13, 22:04

A transmission left Legend's Home.

The contents were encrypted. The from and to were encrypted. Even the routing protocols were encrypted, using massive single-use patterns that would take weeks to crack. By then, it wouldn't matter. The message echoed through a series of private relays, through Circle of Labour and beyond. It was a wonder that so much effort was spent on three words.

"We're done. Execute."

Song Of Obsidian
x3ap

Post by Song Of Obsidian » Sun, 21. Jul 13, 22:34

Poseidon wrote:"How do you feel about training plants?"
You trying to kill your readers?

Idleking
x3ap

Post by Idleking » Sun, 21. Jul 13, 23:50

No. He's trying to make his plant kill them...

Anyway, good idea to show Mr Angry for whom the bell tolls :P

Heck I can imagine Stacy's face when she enters the Lobby and Thulu goes 'Ee ai ee ai oh'... :D

[ external image ]

Poseidon
x3tc

Post by Poseidon » Mon, 22. Jul 13, 15:29

My characters are feeling pretty shallow to me as of late, so I'm trying to make up for it with plot and running gags. I wont go into details, so as to avoid spoilers, but all my characters feel pretty underutilized. So much potential in this setup that I've completely ignored. Then again, I guess that's the cost of writing off the cuff, with little plan, no editing, and a game with no regard for your intended plot.

Anyway, thanks for staying with me, and I'm glad I can provide some good moments. More to come, provided I don't get dead.

Poseidon
x3tc

Post by Poseidon » Tue, 23. Jul 13, 04:33

I spent today consolidating the story content into a readable document. I'll keep this up to date, as I can.

http://diffpair.com/misc/Ambition%20and%20Ambiguity.pdf

Song Of Obsidian
x3ap

Post by Song Of Obsidian » Tue, 23. Jul 13, 11:47

Only 119 pages.

Only.

Sheesh.

Poseidon
x3tc

Post by Poseidon » Tue, 23. Jul 13, 13:08

Well, there's a bit of whitespace, and the formatting can manipulate page count. I'm still learning the tool. But 39k is a lot of words for me, so... yeah. Mostly, I needed to organize my thoughts so I can make sure I don't foot-in-mouth this next section too badly, but I thought the consolidation might be useful to people who didn't want to deal with my modding and explanatory posts.

The tool is Scrivener. It's pretty solid; they have a free trial. I wont link it, for fear of looking like an advert, but it'll come up on google.

This thread is still primary content update. That link is just for convenience.

Poseidon
x3tc

Post by Poseidon » Wed, 24. Jul 13, 03:39

The Forge intercom chimed as I grunted out the last rep of a Squat set. I wasn’t doing difficult work, but I kept it heavy enough to maintain the strength I’d gained. Tonight was mostly to relieve my anxiety though.

“Sir, there’s a Major Bartell here to see you,” an awkward voice croaked from the speaker.

“Give her VIP access and the addresses of the station sensor network,” I ordered. I wasn’t about to limit Stacy’s mobility on the station, and she may want to explore. Also, she was early… at least, earlier than I’d expected.

“Understood, sir.” The intercom chirped a disconnect.

I spent another 15 minutes swimming away the muscle soreness, then cleaned up to entertain company.

-----

It’d been a while since I’d used the lounge for lounging, and it felt awkward. There were drinks and munchies; the pitchers were in need of a refill but the food was untouched. Maddy had been standoffish at first, but once she and Stacy started discussing techniques for managing subordinates, they fell into the banter of old friends. This was a great relief to me.

Jackson walked in a few minutes later, dressed in a dark gray tank-top and loose fatigue pants. I walked over, and gave him a fist bump. “What are you doing here? I thought I sent you on leave.”

He handed me a small nylon bag. “I was taking a nap, and this finally arrived. I took the liberty of acquiring some gear for your Op tomorrow.” He gestured for me to examine the contents, and then set about rolling his massive shoulders and traps to stretch away his sleepiness, oblivious to his surroundings.

His surroundings were less oblivious. Maddy stared at him with understanding in her eyes; she now knew where I’d been getting my training. Stacy had a different look in her eyes as she stood and approached. Jackson looked her over as she walked, and a hint of a smile formed.

I looked back and forth between the two of them as she came to a stop. “Master Sergent Jackson, I’d like to introduce Ops, or Major Bartell.”

“Stacy,” she corrected me, and extended a hand.

“A pleasure to meet you, ma’am,” he replied and shook it.

I tensed as I waited for the verbal rebuttal… that never came. That was all I needed to hear. I excused myself and moved back to Maddy. They didn’t notice me leave.

“It appears you two get along,” I mentioned as I sat and started digging through the bag.

Maddy pulled her red hair over her shoulder and looked at me. “She’s nice. I was expecting some butch amazon with tattoos and scars. Are you sure she’s military? I got a distinct federal agent vibe from her.”

I shrugged, but filed away that bit of insight for later. “I can’t speak for tattoos or scars, but she’s incredibly effective at getting things done, and I think Jackson is the only person in the room with a chance of handling her.”

Maddy coughed and eyed me sideways.

“In combat,” I clarified.

Jackson’s voice echoed across the room. “Hey boss! Would you mind finishing the introductions before our guest terminates a family member?”

I looked at the door, and Thulhu was peeking around the corner. Stacy had a pistol in one hand and a knife in the other, with an alert and slightly panicked look on her face. Yeah, I should probably finish introductions.

Return to “Creative Universe”