Traders Tale - Chapter 22 completed.

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

Mercenary
x3tc

Traders Tale - Chapter 22 completed.

Post by Mercenary » Tue, 28. Jan 03, 10:35

Completed section after the **********..

Merc
8)

-------------------------
Chapter 22 - Conspiracy

Korecmancketras had arrived back on the Shadow Troop station and made his way swiftly to Clegans office.

As the door slid open Clegan looked towards him, he had been talking with one of the station administrators. "Korec, what brings you here!"

Korecmancketras glanced at the administrator. Clegan focused his attention on the man and gave a slight gesture of the head indicating for him to leave. The administrator scuttled out of the room, the door sliding closed behind him.

"What is it?" Clegan asked in concerned tones.

"Something's going on! The Claw Clan are quietly building up their forces and there are others!" The big Paranid commented.

"I wouldn't be much of a station commander if I hadn't noticed what was going on in the sector! But why the concern?" Clegan commented.

"Creed is here!" Korecmancketras answered.

Clegan hesitated for a moment. "Did he say why?"

"I think I should give that message personally!" Korecmancketras responded, "But his people are in the sector in force, and it's nothing to do with us!"

"The science station the Claw Clan found?" Clegan asked and the Paranid nodded. Clegan paused for a moment. "I heard the Claw lost two ships and a third was heavily damaged the last time they visited the place!"

"I spoke to the maintenance crew that repaired the thruster unit. They say it was a clean slice, particle beam width!" The Paranid responded.

Clegan took a moment to gather his thoughts, "And the Bloodhearts?"

"Apparently not taking much interest at the moment!" Korecmancketras replied.

"It's only a matter of time! Well we can not afford a war with any of the factions. We will have to stay neutral!" Clegan commented with quiet concern and then asked, "Who do you think will win?"

"If Creed hangs around, then the War Masters!" Korecmancketras replied after a moments thought.

"Care to place a wager?" Clegan asked.

A short while later and Korecmancketras was in the lower docks where Nyeshta was working on the Chaos One ship. He took a moment to look around and as he approached her commented, "If the Argon Navy knew you had stolen plans of the X-Shuttle they would rip this place apart!"

She span around her eyes wide and startled by the fact he recognized the ship even after the modifications to sections of the hull.

"Have you managed to get the one hundred and twenty five megawatt shield in her yet?" He asked casually and glanced up at the Chaos One.

She hesitated a moment, "No! But I know where to get one!"

"And I expect Clegan doesn't know this!" Korecmancketras responded. He breathed in deeply, "Nyeshta! Creed is in the sector and he's after you! I've tried to reason with him but he wants blood."

"Then I won't be going anywhere is a hurry!" She answered and smiled.

Feran t'Gnht had just docked with the shield factory in Family Pride. His presence had been requested by one of the more influential families, which one he still did not know and trust was not at the forefront of his mind.

With him were four bodyguards. As he reflected a living, and if required sacrificial, shield to protect him in case this was a trap. This was not an official meeting, so the welcoming party of Split guards bore no insignia of the family they served.

There was no attempt to disarm Ferans guards, however at the doors of the private meeting rooms they were refused entry. Only Feran was allowed to go further.

By Split standards the chambers were highly decorated with spoils from past wars, rare and valuable artifacts from the home world, and an array of weapons both Split and of the other races hanging on the walls.

Feran noted the bottles on the shelf and approached. One stood out from the rest, the gold and gem encrusted flask that contained the incredibly rare vintage Katara Sap, aged in casks for a hundred Split solar years. A drink so expensive that only the fabulously wealthy and extremely powerful could purchase. A common rumour, and one not far from the truth, is that the drink is so expensive they throw the flask in for free.

Feran had never dared to buy one, even though he had been present on several occasions to smell the distinct musty aroma laced with tongues of fire that conjured images of bygone years and the glory of ancient triumphs. He stood in respectful silence.

" I see you've spotted the Katara Sap!" A deep split voice disturbed his thoughts.

"The finest prize in a trophy room." Feran responded carefully and glanced across. His eyes narrowed slightly.

Head Council Twh k'Trrg had arrived soundlessly, but this was not the only reason Feran was on his guard. The councilors' cloak bore the insignia of his family, but on his belt there was the motif of the Loparink Skull the emblem of the master assassin.

This was not the usual garb of the Head Council. He wore this was to make a point. "Twice your age I am and I could have killed you ten times over since you've been here!" He let this sink in before continuing. "You're here because you can assist your people!"

Feran was silent, his eyes watching every move of the elder Split. Twh wandered up to the drinks cabinet and began to reach out carefully towards the flask but stopped. "You care to have a drink?" The tone was sharp and more of a challenge than a question.

"No!" Feran responded.

Twhs' eyes narrowed slightly and the muscles in his face tightened briefly then relaxed as he carefully moved back. "Then we will talk!"

Thoughts flicked through Ferans mind that he could kill the old man and walk out with anything he wanted. However somewhere deep down he remembered the Loparink Skull and knew he would lose. A thought resided in his head, the only person the Master Assassins feared was Creed and somewhere in the following conversation the name would appear. "So why am I here?"

Twh moved away to a respectful distance, "There have been certain." He paused briefly. "Events, let us say in the uncontrolled sectors that are of interest to us."

"Something other than the loss of the Uulodk!" Feran commented harshly.

"Let us say the captain was unaware that the Argon had jumpdrive capable interplanetary battlecruisers!" Twh responded quietly.

"Unaware or too stupid to remember!" Feran was cutting in his tone.

Twh conceded the point with a slight nod. "He will not be making the same mistake again!"

There was a tense silence. Twh seldom had dealings with the more unruly of the families unless it was on 'professional' business, it made his position within the council more tenable. This meeting was an exception and the t'Gnht family, although its piratical links were obvious, were still influential. Which in turn made this encounter more palatable.

"It has not gone unnoticed that there has been an increase in activity in the Nopileo's Memorial sector!" He began. Feran waited. "News comes to me that the Claw Clan discovered an unlisted research station in the Jakjolok Asteroid Field!"

Feran adjusted his stance slightly, he had heard the rumour but had taken little interest as the station would have been stripped clean of valuable equipment.

"On one of their more recent foraging expeditions they encountered a fighter, a Boron Piranha! The weapons systems of the ship had been 'enhanced' and was capable, in a single pass, of destroying all the ships. Fortunately one of the ships although damaged escaped!"

"That sounds like a clear warning rather than carelessness!" Feran commented quietly.

"My thoughts also! But before we assume this is a new weapons system on test, the Argon issued a clear warning concerning a Boron Piranha infected with a system virus. Our informant in the Claw camp confirms this is the same ship!"

Feran was now beginning to understand why he was here, but other thoughts were gathering. "So you want me to send some ships to do some investigating for you!"

"Not so fast! The Argon stopped an alien ship, which we had assumed was on the Argon Titan. It would appear that this is not the case. The Piranha is there to protect it and possibly has been infected by Alien AI." Twh responded.

"I am a pirate! Why are you telling me all this? Aren't you worried that I may go and find the alien ship and use what I find for myself rather than give it to you?" Feran asked quietly.

"The Claw Clan are discreetly but noticeably increasing the number of fighters in the sector! They know there is a prize to be had, a great profit opportunity for them!" Twh spat the last few words out, he never trusted the Teladi but they have their uses.

"And the Split Military cannot enter the uncontrolled sectors without meeting the same resistance that the Argon faced when it originally made its incursion." Feran spoke quickly, preempting the other Splits comments.

"I see that, now the madness has left you, your mind is still sharp!" Twh commented with approval. "The Argon have made a shipment of supplies to the Piranha, aided by War Master Mercenaries. I believe Creed was on the last trip. They too have a number of fighters in the area but do not appear to be adding more!"

"And who else do we expect to see at this party?" Feran growled, the name of Creed always added a nasty twist to any encounter.

"That we don't know. The Shadow Troop are still too new and gathering recruits. I think they will stay out of the conflict, like Teladi they will pick up the spoils after the battle is over." Twh paused, "However for us, we have you and a number of Military Pilots whose ships have been re-designated and listed as Dark Nebula Mercenaries. They will already be gathering in Nopileo's Memorial."

"So we have four factions, an Alien ship and an alien controlled ship. Should be quite a scene!" Feran smiled.

"More like anarchy!" Twh commented.

"I do not see how this capture can possibly work!" Feran observed, "No one will want the ship to escape, and in the same breath no one will want to let anyone else capture it."

"Then you will destroy them both!" Twh replied curtly.

Feran met Twhs' stare, "And the multi targeting weapons system?"

"We assume it will have a limit! So we encourage the use of drones and if all else fails squash mines!" Twh answered, "Although this is of little consequence, we have not yet identified who the pilot of the Piranha is!"

There were too many coincidences for Feran. "Grall!" He answered slowly.

Twh hesitated then gave a slight smile, "A chance for you to get even then!"

"I think we need to get those computers up and running!" Tor spoke aloud, and in an air of a subordinate snapped a military type attention. "Your orders captain?"

Tereana glanced across at him through reddened eyes, understanding that he was trying to lighten the mood.

He relaxed and looked back, in a soft voice and with the slight smile of sympathy and understanding said, "Come on. I might not be the brightest chip in the circuit but we'll get through this!" He held out his hand.

She gave a half-hearted effort and smiled back. Taking his hand Tereana got back to her feet and they stood for a moment in close proximity.

Tor spoke first, "We should see where my ship has gone!"

"Yes we should!" She responded, and stepped back. Her mind was clouding over again, leaving her with the feeling that the thoughts she now had were in some way induced.

Tor suddenly turned away, almost embarrassed by the thoughts that raced through his mind, and commented, "Let's go then!"

With the hint of uncertainty Tereana commented, "Okay!"

"I wonder what's happened to the Professor?" Tereana commented aloud.

Tor looked across, "You know I'd almost forgotten about him!"

The few pieces of replacement equipment had been installed, and one of the maintenance robots stood silently in the corner awaiting its next set of instructions. Tereana pulled up a chair and focused on the screen, occasionally tapping on the console. Tor also grabbed a chair and watched.

"Right we have access!" Tereana announced without looking away from the screen. "Computer can you give me a status update on external scanners?"

"External scanners operational in near field scan. Sector scan unavailable. Power couplings damaged!"
The station computer responded.

"Can we get the maintenance robot to fix it?" Tor asked quietly.

"Should be able to." Tereana replied and glanced across at the robot. "Computer, issue repair instructions to maintenance crew!"

A moment later the unit came to life and rolled away. The door hissed closed behind it. Tor patted his holster and checked the blaster was still there. Affording himself a brief smile when he felt the familiar shape.

"There were a number of relay pods between the station and the Alien ship! Do you think we can reactivate them?" Tor asked cautiously.

Tereana looked back. "Yeah sure, at least we can check up on the professor!" She issued the command to the computer and they waited. Tereana activated the rooms main view screen, which had been too large to be pilfered by the pirates.

Tor opened his bag and retrieved both of his data pads, casually glancing down he tried to reactivate Sweety, to his pleasant surprise the technical data pad revived.

"Sweety it's good to see you're back with us!"

"My scan indicates we are on the science station! Not exactly where I'd hope to be but it's better than being in close proximity to the mind!" Sweety replied casually.

"The Mind?" Tor asked and glanced at Tereana who shrugged her shoulders.

"The Aliens mind! I guess you have not had the misfortune to analyze the uploaded data!" Sweety replied.

"Well we would have if you'd done us the courtesy of not powering off." Tor responded testily.

"It is one thing to be looking at something like that, and it is another to have it look straight back. Especially when you see its coding overwrite and break every protection line!" Sweety replied.

"Sweety what is your memory storage capacity?" Tor asked.

"Why?" Sweety was immediately uneasy at the request.

"You're supposed to answer my question! Not answer with a question of your own!" Tor replied harshly.

"That's quite some rebellious AI you've got there!" Tereana commented with a wry smile.

Tor glanced at her then at the pad, he shrugged his shoulders and looked defeated. "Okay, okay." He sighed, "I think it would be useful to know what this thing is and where it's from. I'm hoping that information is on the data logger. When we hook into it I'm hoping we can isolate this information and store it away somewhere. But not on the main computer system!"

"I have enough information on my databanks already. I have no intention of letting that Mind get near me again! Use your old personal pad and, if you clear its current memory, that will carry the navigation data!" Sweety responded coldly then added. "You can wake me up when this is all over!" and powered off.

Tereana and Tor sat and looked on incredulously at the audacity of the pad.

"Well that told you!" Tereana commented eventually.

"So did you manage to find out what this thing looked like?" Tor asked Tereana putting plenty of emphasis on the 'you'.

"The biologists on the mission still had not completed their analysis of the data! But it'll all be on the data logger." Tereana answered and turned back to the main viewer. The relays came back on line and camera images flickered into life.

"Computer can you connect to the data logger?" She asked.

"Data logger off line, manual power reset required." The computer answered.

Both of them looked at each other alarmed.

"So what the hell's the professor been up to?" Tor asked.

"This isn't right!" She glanced at the console next to her. "Computer please remote power cycle the data logger?"

"Unable to carry out command! Power coupling removed and requires manual operation!" The computer confirmed.

"Computer scan for Professor!" Tor ordered but suddenly had difficulty remembering the Professors name. He glanced at Tereana and she looked as concerned and perplexed as him.

"I can't remember his name either!" She answered his unasked question.

"Computer are there any life signs near and around the alien ship?" Tor rephrased the question.

"Negative!" The computer replied.

Tor frowned, his jaw tightening.

"Where do you think he is?" Tereana asked.

"On my damn ship probably!" Tor commented harshly.

"But we don't know that for certain." Tereana responded quietly, "And we won't know until the scanners are back up and running!"

"In the meantime we're stuck here." Tor was deliberately trying to wind himself up to try and clear his mind. "We need to find out what we're up against! I'm going across to patch in the data logger!"

"Well that's probably the dumbest thing I've heard in a while." Tereana snapped.

"I'm not asking you to come across!" Tor looked at her sharply.

"Tor, have you ever plugged in a data logger?" She asked calmly and met his gaze.

"No, but I hope your going to tell me." Tors' determined expression had not changed.

"You haven't got a clue what's over there!" Tereana was abrupt with her comment.

"Apparently neither do you!" Tors' comment was cutting.

Tereanas' eyes narrowed, "There was no call for that!"

Tor hesitated, the irritation in the back of his mind was seemingly getting worse with every passing minute. "Sorry! I think the voice is getting to me." He looked away to the viewer, and in a calm rational voice affirmed. "We do need to find out more! Either one of us goes across or both of us!"

Tereana smiled briefly, "Know what you mean about the voice. Well I think both of us should go. For one thing I wouldn't want to go across on my own and second I wouldn't want to be left here alone either!"

Tor smiled and nodded. "Let's get suited up then. The sooner we start the sooner we finish!"

A while later they both entered the airlock. Tor was now nervous as the determination and resolve that gripped him earlier now did not seem such a good idea. He was struggling to remember the last time he had been on a space walk.

"You okay?" Tereana said.

"Fine!" Tor responded as calmly as he could.

She looked at him, the face shield to protect his eyes from the sunlight was already down. She pressed the door release and the outer door opened into the void. The vast bulk of the asteroid was below, and in between several k's of empty void.

"Tor are you sure you're okay?" Tereana asked.

He nodded, then realized she probably could not see his head. "Fine!"

Tereana stopped and grabbed his sleeve. "Have you ever done this before?" The question was abrupt.

"Of course!" Tor tried to put on a brave voice.

"Then why are you trying to hyperventilate?" Tereanas' tone was harshly disbelieving.

"I'm not!" Tor lied as he tried to control his breath.

"Liar! You're almost deafening me with the sound of your breathing." She snapped back curtly. "Look you're not up to this, let's abandon the idea!"

"No! I'll manage." Tor was determined.

Tereana waited a moment as Tor calmed his breathing, "Okay!" She conceded. "I'll clip a tether to you, so just keep your eyes on where we are going and don't be sick! Just remember it hasn't got anywhere to go except down into your suit."

She pulled the cable tether from her utility belt and clipped it to Tors'. "Another thing don't even think about touching your pack thruster controls. You'll probably kill us both! Now let's go together!"

They stepped out into the void, the artificial gravity of the ship left behind at the doorway of the station. The sudden weightlessness making Tor dizzy and nauseous. Bits of his body were reacting to the new environment as he fought it back.

Tereana waited a brief time, slowly and carefully looking around. "No sign of your ship!"

Gently she moved away and pushed Tor along rather than use the tether to drag him. Dragging meant he could potentially deflect the jet exhaust and send them off course. Tor relaxed the initial sensations were subsiding. He moved his head to gaze at the universe around him.

Tor was taking in the shapes and sizes, many of the asteroids being rugged with deep gashes and sections of the surface apparently torn away, whilst others appeared to be nearly smooth with only the occasional pocket of collision damage.

The vast canyon of the asteroid below was gradually getting closer as Tereana continued to accelerate them towards it.

"Tor do you know how to activate the reverse jets on your pack?" She asked.

Tor moved his suited right arm and looked at the manual control panel on his arm, he switched it to verbal commands.

"Just don't fire your forward jets!" Tereana observed.

"Ready to give the order!" Tor was now increasingly aware of their proximity to the canyon.

"Not yet!" Tereana answered as they glided towards the asteroid. "We've still got a good distance to go. Locating entrance to tunnel!" She carefully switched the suits HUD on and located the position of the entrance relay. "Just going to reposition us so we're lined up with the first relay!" With slight adjustments they slowly turned and shifted sideways in a graceful pirouette before stabilizing position as they passed the top edge of the canyon still in free fall.

Moments passed as the walls of the canyon rushed by on either side. Tor was close to panic his breathing sharpened as a rush of fear and adrenaline pumped through his body, its effect heightened by the weightless conditions.

Tereana used the HUD indicator to gauge the distance to the canyon floor. "Tor engage reverse jet!"

"Pack reverse jet and stabilize position." Tors' voice reflected the uncertain worry he felt.

The packs jets flared and the sensation of rapid slowing was enhanced by the up rushing hole that marked the entrance to the Alien ship.

As they stopped Tor let out a whoop of joy, and said excitedly, "Oh wow. That was absolutely incredible. Let's go back, I want to do that again!"

"Only if you're good and we manage to get out of this alive!" Tereana observed carefully. She thought it best not to admit to having cut the timing a little bit fine and had momentarily wondered if they would stop before impact.

Slight adjustments to their position and the two figures proceeded into the chasm. There was another fifteen minutes of jetting through the darkness. The suit lights barely illuminating the void occasionally reflecting off the pale rock but mostly lost to the darkness.

There were no signs of a lurking Piranha. They reached the motionless hulk of the hollow lifter that housed the Alien Ship.

"Tor I need you to manage on your own from here. Try to master the manual stick controls, use verbal commands as backup and shout if you get into trouble. I'll go hook up the power unit to the data logger." Tereana announced and unclipped the line between them.

"Okay! Pack switch to stick control, and verbal emergency commands!" Tor commanded.

The control pack dropped down two straight beams, which hinged as they raised up to form two forward arms, each with a control stick. Tor hesitantly put his gloved hand around each, but with the lack of sensitivity due to the bulk of the glove had him shift backwards and tilt forwards.

Tereana laughed, "Left stick is linear directional jets and the right one is rotational jets." She turned and moved towards the stationary ship, the smile fading into apprehension.

She opened the outer retaining door as she had done several times before and drifted in. Tor gently turned and was cautiously drifting towards the ship. Tereana had made it look so simple, and yet even with the slightest touch he was overshooting his target.

"Tereana is there any way to reduce the control sensitivity!" He asked aloud.

"Say, 'reduce stick sensitivity' and give a percentage figure!" Her voice came back.

"Pack reduce stick sensitivity, twenty five percent!" He touched the controls and noticed the immediate difference. With renewed confidence he glided his way towards the doorway. Floating in he took a moment to look around, and shook his head as the strength of the voice in the back of his mind had a new level of potency. He would have scratched his chin to try and remember why he was here if it was not for the suit.

It came back to him, attach the power coupling to the data logger. He turned gently not knowing where the data logger was and noticed the figure of Tereana moving a power unit in the weightlessness. Thoughts of overwhelming desire sparked in his mind. He blinked several times and shook his head. He remembered Sweetys' words, and the sudden realization of something tampering with his thought patterns came over him.

He avoided the support members retaining the alien ship, which to his eyes looked both dark and menacing under the lights.

"Can I lend a hand?" Tor asked.

Tereana hesitated with her answer fighting with the wave of feeling that swept over her on hearing his voice. Primal instincts were suddenly burning deep, but in a breath of crystal clarity she remembered why she was here. "The data logger is just over there! Can you power it up when I connect the feed."

Tor glided across, the whispering in the back of his mind seemingly fading. Under normal circumstances he would have realized this was a bad sign, however to him it left a warm comforting sensation.

Tereana found the link cable and attached it. "Tor! Switch it on and lets' get out of here!"

Tor blinked and shook his head again trying to focus, then activated the data logger. He shifted his position, gliding gently back and turned to face the door. Tereana was already heading away with an eager keenness to get out. He followed and glanced towards the ship, which now had a fuzzy warmth to it.

He exited the ship. Tereana was waiting patiently and asked, "Do you think you can manage to follow me?"

With the ship behind them Tors' mind seemed clearer now, the warm comforting sensation was still present but somehow a little bit more distant. "I'll give it a go!"

"Shout if I get too far ahead!" She called out then started to jet away.

Hesitantly Tor jetted after her, weaving like a drunkard, then stopping still before turning to counter the weightless drift in order to get a straight line again. After the twenty minutes through the darkness to the entrance of the chasm and Tor felt as though he had mastered the controls. Tereana waited until he caught up.

"Well you made it this far. Now to the station, just aim straight for it and keep pace with me! You only need forward and reverse jets until we get reasonably close!" Tereana instructed.

Tor felt happy with this it was simple. Tereana jetted away gently and Tor followed as he drew level she increased speed so that Tor would be forced to follow. In the open space between the asteroid and the station they would be able to make rapid progress.

The return journey was uneventful, even though Tereana kept glancing around for signs of potential trouble.

Tor bumped into the side of the station temporarily knocking the wind from him when he failed to shed enough speed, fortunately doing no damage to the station or his suit.

Tereana laughed for a some time and had to compose herself due to the spectacle Tor had made when he realized he was not going to stop and in a moment of panic started to wave his arms and legs around fruitlessly.

Stepping out of the airlock and back into the atmosphere of the station Tor removed his helmet and flinched briefly.

Tereana also took off her helmet and then had to sit down to compose herself again.

"It wasn't that funny!" Tor commented quietly.

She laughed again, "You should have seen it! It's the funniest thing I've seen in ages. It was the way your arms and legs were waving around." This time she could not contain herself.

"Well I'm glad I bring you some amusement!" Tor was about to put everything back into perspective concerning their current plight. However he stopped himself and would allow her this moment. After all he could not predict the next time either of them would have the opportunity to laugh.

He took off the rest of his suit then sat down beside Tereana as she wiped away a tear through the laughter. "I guess it's time to upload some data!" He commented gently.

Tereana paused a moment and glanced across, then sighed. "Let's see what we can find out!"
Last edited by Mercenary on Fri, 31. Jan 03, 09:27, edited 4 times in total.

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Tue, 28. Jan 03, 12:00

Couple of things:

1. "Than I won't be going anywhere is a hurry" should be "Then I won't..."

2. "The councilors cloak " should be "The councillors' cloak" I think but not 100% ;)

Apart from that its looking good :)

Al

Mercenary
x3tc

Post by Mercenary » Tue, 28. Jan 03, 12:05

Al wrote:Couple of things:

1. "Than I won't be going anywhere is a hurry" should be "Then I won't..."

2. "The councilors cloak " should be "The councillors' cloak" I think but not 100% ;)

Apart from that its looking good :)

Al

Cheers Al,

edited...

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Tue, 28. Jan 03, 12:08

Very good read, Merc!!

And you still do not give away why the Piranha was not at the docking bay, cheeky :lol:

My curiosity is reaching extreme levels :rant:

There was one place where I was not quite sure if there was a typo: it is about the 125 MW shield

"Have you managed to get the one hundred and twenty five megawatt shield in her yet?"

is it "in her" as in in the X or is it "in here" as in in the station?

Looking forward to more :-)

Mercenary
x3tc

Post by Mercenary » Tue, 28. Jan 03, 12:19

KiwiNZ wrote:Very good read, Merc!!

And you still do not give away why the Piranha was not at the docking bay, cheeky :lol:

My curiosity is reaching extreme levels :rant:
:D In the next section, but it's not completed yet... :wink:

KiwiNZ wrote:
There was one place where I was not quite sure if there was a typo: it is about the 125 MW shield

"Have you managed to get the one hundred and twenty five megawatt shield in her yet?"

is it "in her" as in in the X or is it "in here" as in in the station?

Looking forward to more :-)

He's refering to the X ship, I'll read through and see about adding a descriptive action like "glances up at ..."

Gandalf The White
x3

Post by Gandalf The White » Tue, 28. Jan 03, 12:36

Good stuff Merc.
some who deserve life receive death. Others who deserve death receive life. Can you give it to them? Don't be eager to deal out death in judgement, for not even the wise can see all ends.

Moss
x2

Post by Moss » Tue, 28. Jan 03, 14:29

As ever an excellent read Merc, not enough questions answered yet tho, your getting better at that! :) still your going to have to answere some (fairly) soon, I think, as it looks like chaos is just around the corner, by the look of things.

Sometimes there are close parallels between yours and Steves stories, which is not a bad thing, gives a familiar feeling for the universe both your characters are inhabiting, but reading the stories side by side as we are, I occaisionaly forget who's story i'm reading :roll: must be age hehe.

Would you say (if I missed this somewhere forgive me) that your stories are contemporary or is yours set after/before Steves?

Looking forward to some more, soon I hope, cheers.

Rogue
x3tc

Post by Rogue » Tue, 28. Jan 03, 14:30

Keep it coming merc. :)

Good Stuff.
Knock knock. Who's there? Zerg Rushhhhhhhhhhhh!
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Ace Rimmer
[ external image ]

Mercenary
x3tc

Post by Mercenary » Tue, 28. Jan 03, 14:57

Moss wrote:As ever an excellent read Merc, not enough questions answered yet tho, your getting better at that! :) still your going to have to answere some (fairly) soon, I think, as it looks like chaos is just around the corner, by the look of things.

Sometimes there are close parallels between yours and Steves stories, which is not a bad thing, gives a familiar feeling for the universe both your characters are inhabiting, but reading the stories side by side as we are, I occaisionaly forget who's story i'm reading :roll: must be age hehe.

Would you say (if I missed this somewhere forgive me) that your stories are contemporary or is yours set after/before Steves?

Looking forward to some more, soon I hope, cheers.

Cheers All,

Hi Moss,

Yep questions will soon be answered, set myself a word target to complete this episode, i.e.to end Traders Tale (1st bit) in about 120,000 words. This chapter should cross the 100,000 word mark. So that's another 4 / 5 chapters..

The time frame is intended as a bit of a run into X2. Not that I have any more insight into X2 than most other members of the forum. So I believe it's in a later time frame than Steves' Rogue stories..

The story is meant to be complimentary to the X-Universe based on the what we know in XT and some "writers license" :) . Although it's good to have a real nasty psycho piece of work as the main bad guy, in Traders Tale this is Feran and to my mind he was a little bit too comparable to Law in Rogue.

So I've been deliberately adjusting him and who knows perhaps there could be some role reversal.. :twisted: :twisted: ... but maybe not...

Again the direction of the current story line (hopefully) helps in avoiding too many similarities with rogue. :)

Moss
x2

Post by Moss » Tue, 28. Jan 03, 15:23

Ok just so you know there was no complaint or critisism intended, and similarities in the background and characters are to be expected after all! Plus such groups as the Claw clan Bloodhearts ect (these more than anything seem to blur the two stories for me at times) are to be expected to have long histories in the X Universe, well those that survive the cut throat piracy buisness that is!

As for the story length, I hope, if you have the time you will have something else for us when Traders Tale is ended! (hopefully we will have a good background on the Khaak species by that time). I am looking forward to this one all coming together tho :wink:

Edit, I just realised you said Traders Tale (1st bit) , cool 8)

Mercenary
x3tc

Post by Mercenary » Tue, 28. Jan 03, 15:43

Moss wrote:Ok just so you know there was no complaint or critisism intended, and similarities in the background and characters are to be expected after all! Plus such groups as the Claw clan Bloodhearts ect (these more than anything seem to blur the two stories for me at times) are to be expected to have long histories in the X Universe, well those that survive the cut throat piracy buisness that is!

As for the story length, I hope, if you have the time you will have something else for us when Traders Tale is ended! (hopefully we will have a good background on the Khaak species by that time). I am looking forward to this one all coming together tho :wink:

None taken!!! :D :D

My own comments are really to reaffirm to anyone else that reads the two stories that the intention is for them not to be too similar. If there are too many similarities creeping in then hopefully someone will raise the point and I can go on one of the tangents I occasionally throw in. :wink: :D

I like to think of my Pirates as "lurking in the background" :) They have a part to play but their mention is more "introductory" and not just for the end of the book, more for something later. :roll: ... which should help answer the, what comes after the Traders Tale...

Adamskini
x3tc

Post by Adamskini » Tue, 28. Jan 03, 20:49

"We assume it will have a limit! So we encourage the use of drones and if all else fails squash mines!" Twh answered, "Although this is of little consequence, we have not yet identified who the pilot of the Piranha is!"

There were too many coincidences for Feran. "Grall!" He answered slowly.

Twh hesitated then gave a slight smile, "A chance for you to get even then!"
i need a recap, what did Grall do to this split guy? and when?

im having abit of the same problem as Moss, getting the two stories mixed up :gruebel:

good read, keep it up Merc
Aug 2000 -> March 2001 - Old Skool Egosoft Forum
March 2001 -> Nov 2002 - THQ forum
Nov 2002 -> now - Current, prettier Egosoft Forum

[anybody remember The Enforcers?!]

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Tue, 28. Jan 03, 23:07

Adamskini wrote: i need a recap, what did Grall do to this split guy? and when?

im having abit of the same problem as Moss, getting the two stories mixed up :gruebel:

he rescued the girl that helped him out on his first mission, Trish was the name, right? Tor and Creed landed at the Pirate station and hijacked a Mandalay with the girl in the hold.

Gandalf The White
x3

Post by Gandalf The White » Tue, 28. Jan 03, 23:21

Both yours and Steve's stories are very good and equally liked for equally different reasons.

But, and I have to use thiss word, these stories are testament, no pun intended Steve, but they are both testament as to how open these games are and to how flexible if you like, the X-universe is in terms of being able to create these stories in it.

Well done to the pare of you for doing it. They have been a great read and I hope that the stories continue for a long time to come. It's these stories that make up for the lack of size of the game universe that we all play in. They greatly X-pand the universe to a degree that makes the game mre and more playable.
some who deserve life receive death. Others who deserve death receive life. Can you give it to them? Don't be eager to deal out death in judgement, for not even the wise can see all ends.

Mercenary
x3tc

Post by Mercenary » Wed, 29. Jan 03, 11:02

The Doctor wrote:Both yours and Steve's stories are very good and equally liked for equally different reasons.

But, and I have to use thiss word, these stories are testament, no pun intended Steve, but they are both testament as to how open these games are and to how flexible if you like, the X-universe is in terms of being able to create these stories in it.

Well done to the pare of you for doing it. They have been a great read and I hope that the stories continue for a long time to come. It's these stories that make up for the lack of size of the game universe that we all play in. They greatly X-pand the universe to a degree that makes the game mre and more playable.

Cheers Daz,

Much appreciated :D :D

Merc.
8)

Mercenary
x3tc

Post by Mercenary » Wed, 29. Jan 03, 11:53

KiwiNZ wrote:
Adamskini wrote: i need a recap, what did Grall do to this split guy? and when?

he rescued the girl that helped him out on his first mission, Trish was the name, right? Tor and Creed landed at the Pirate station and hijacked a Mandalay with the girl in the hold.

Quick recap on key characters then:

In essence this has been more like two short strories rolled into one..

Tris - original girl in the story, and destined to return at some point in the future, helped get Tor started as a run around for the Argon Secret Service. Rescued by Tor and Creed from the pirate station.

Caran Belign - Argon Secret Service agent, seemingly a law unto himself. Tors 'mentor', and gets him all the good jobs :)

Feran t'Gnht (aka Bloodheart) - Reforming psycho Pirate leader, wants revenge but becoming more rational to the cost of vengence.

Twh k'Trrg - a newish character, seen earlier when Caran called him up to, delay the Split from trying to interfere when they were trying to stop the UFO. Powerful member of the Split Council, also an assassin. Is destined to be to Feran as Caran is to Tor...

Tereana - Scientist and designated commander of the science team sent to investigate the Alien ship.

Creed - One of the Nameless, Mercenary Leader, very violent, fights for the "right" side. Has no real loyalties except to his own "code" which forms the basis of the laws of the War Master Mercenaries.

Clegan - Former second in command of the Bloodhearts, faked his own death to leave the clan. Now un-named leader of the Shadow Troop.

Nyeshta - Freelance Mercenary / former member of War Masters and on the run from Creed + several of the races. Knows about ship design.

Serandamankcetal - Paranid Mercenary and Creeds second in command.

Bilyzonus - Teladi and Tors original trading partner.

Fenegalas - Teladi, and 1st employee of Tors'

Sweety - Ships AI moved to Technical Data Pad, runs the trading side to Tors' fledgling trading empire (so I don't have to keep mentioning it :P :D)...

There are more characters, so if there's a name your unfamiliar with let me know.

Thinking about how the two stories are published, I can see why people may start to get confused as more often than not they come out in part chapters and usually in close proximity so they get read back to back.

I have the first 21 chapters in a single word doc. PM me your mail address and I'll send you a copy.

Gandalf The White
x3

Post by Gandalf The White » Wed, 29. Jan 03, 12:08

I want to know how our friend Mr X who we all know to be or guess to be the new trader goes missing and what happens to him.

Mercenary
x3tc

Post by Mercenary » Wed, 29. Jan 03, 12:14

The Doctor wrote:I want to know how our friend Mr X who we all know to be or guess to be the new trader goes missing and what happens to him.
:D :D Ahh that'll be written after I get X2 :wink: :D

Gandalf The White
x3

Post by Gandalf The White » Wed, 29. Jan 03, 12:18

Aha! So he does get cacked! By the Khaak then

SteveMill
x4

Post by SteveMill » Wed, 29. Jan 03, 12:40

The Doctor wrote:Both yours and Steve's stories are very good and equally liked for equally different reasons.

Yes, cheers Daz. it's great to know we're appraciated. another good read Merc. I'm working on the next chapter of rogue, having been stuck on one particular scene for too damn long. Had an epiphany on the way to work though so expect another segment as soon as some free time appears.

Merc's work is definitely well after Rogue, mine is set before XT. differences are unavoidable in our stories but they do share a similar feel.

As they're written without reference to Farnhams Legend and since i've been translating chapters it's clear my X-universe is nothing like the proper one, I pretend to myself it's an alternative X-Universe story, somewhere in a space-time contimuum, far far away so to speak.

Return to “Creative Universe”