SOLVED—Enlight vs. 1.4 vs. 1.5 (Gamespy what??)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Tolwyn
x3tc

Post by Tolwyn » Thu, 28. May 15, 21:02

It's definately a *.cat file and *.dat file issue.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 28. May 15, 22:36

You are probably correct about the cat/dat issue. The AI update (and maybe no-DRM update) being 1.4 assets may well clash with the cat/dat pair from 1.5 patch (I don't know that but it seems possible). If that is true then increasing the cat/dat pair number for the 1.5 patch may work. The end outcome should be consecutive cat/dat pair numbers with no duplicates or gaps. Whether that could also enable use of your prior saves is not clear. Try it; you have nothing to lose.

Oh, a sanity check on the mapping. 'Shift - top row 1' and 'Shift - numpad 1' are not the same. Also in the manual, Shift-1 and Shift-2 are Command Wingmen Group keys. The monitor keys are F1 to F4 in the manual.
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Thu, 28. May 15, 22:44, edited 2 times in total.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Tolwyn
x3tc

Post by Tolwyn » Thu, 28. May 15, 22:42

What would really help is if I had access to Cat/Dat files from a vanilla 1.4 install that is NOT the D2D version.

OR... I could install from Superbox and try to retro-grade.
I might try that later.

I LOVE the idea of Superbox... but just grumble about that one nagging issue.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 28. May 15, 22:46

See my edit on mapping above. Also you don't need any new files as you have them all, just perhaps with the wrong cat/dat numbers at the moment. Getting more of the same will not help you.

Sorry if that sounds unhelpful but you have the actual install to look at and I don't.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 29. May 15, 00:18

In that same vein, patches generally add an additional cat/dat file pair. You might try removing the very last pair from the 1.5 installation and see if that retrogrades your game to 1.4. I don't have a current installation to look at or I'd check it out for you.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Tolwyn
x3tc

Post by Tolwyn » Fri, 29. May 15, 01:33

I'm installing X2 from Superbox right now.
I'll then use JSGME (Jonesoft Generic Mod Enabler) to see what I can figure out.

If it's just the cat/dat thing... and not the EXE...
I can easily get the X2.exe 1.4 (no copy prot) and the x2.exe 1.5 (superbox) and see what's going on.

Tolwyn
x3tc

Solved

Post by Tolwyn » Fri, 29. May 15, 01:58

Ok. Thanks guys for your input because it makes me think.

So... I installed Superbox.

Created a MOD using mod enabler and installed everything there.

Basically, it was 05.cat and 05.dat that was causing the issue.

I MOVED THOSE to the 1.5 MOD folder I created. I then applied the 1.2 patch, the 1.4 patch, the AI Update, the Bonus Pack, and the 1.4 NOCD patch and it's 1.4 and working PERFECTLY.

And at anytime, I can just enable 1.5 with the MOD ENABLER and all is well with the world.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”