Freezing not fixed after patch

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Atkara
x3tc

Post by Atkara » Sat, 7. Jan 06, 02:25

Domage wrote:I get a freeze sound loop crash at exactly 4-13:37 on two different saves.
Try to jump out of the sector you're currently in, anywhere you like. This will propably reset what's causing the freezing... at least that's what I've found to be working in most cases so far...

Domage
x3tc

Post by Domage » Sat, 7. Jan 06, 04:21

Atkara wrote:
Domage wrote:I get a freeze sound loop crash at exactly 4-13:37 on two different saves.
Try to jump out of the sector you're currently in, anywhere you like. This will propably reset what's causing the freezing... at least that's what I've found to be working in most cases so far...
No joy...

Hoops71
x3

Post by Hoops71 » Sat, 7. Jan 06, 18:07

After trying MadBoris's codec fix I suffered a huge frame rate loss but it was still playable on low settings (and disableing autosave) well thats what I thought anyway...2 hours into the game and the freeze is back!
Dunno about you guys but Im spending more time rebooting and trying to fix this goddam game than actualy playing it! :evil:

Domage
x3tc

Post by Domage » Sat, 7. Jan 06, 18:24

Hoops71 wrote:After trying MadBoris's codec fix I suffered a huge frame rate loss but it was still playable on low settings (and disableing autosave) well thats what I thought anyway...2 hours into the game and the freeze is back!
Dunno about you guys but Im spending more time rebooting and trying to fix this goddam game than actualy playing it! :evil:
I still get that freeze at exactly 4-13:37, and my only saves are ones at about 4-13:30 etc, it's like watching an episode of little britain, you hope for some decent comedy but you know it's going to be the same old crap.

I SERIOUSLY hope egosoft have been able to recreate these freezing problems.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 7. Jan 06, 19:00

Domage, do you have a savegame from shortly before the freeze, and can you upload it somewhere and provide a link so that it can be tested?

yoshida
x3

Post by yoshida » Sat, 7. Jan 06, 21:33

Stonewall, stonewall, stonewall. Asking for your savegame is not the same as acknowledging the problem. By the way, when I had two 100% reproducible freezes saved right before they occur EGOSOFT by no means asked for them even though I offered. You know what this tells me, they already know!!! Acknowledgment comes in form of patch. This way, if they have trouble fixing it it is not because they suck, its because they didnt officially know about it. :D
my wife is the answer to Gabriel's Horn. It's all coming together now.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 7. Jan 06, 22:57

If you read back through my posts in this thread you will see that I have asked people for savegames on a number of occasions. I may not have asked you personally, but I have made general requests that you could easily have responded to.

You will also see, if you look back, that I have explained on several occasions that unless the problem can be reproduced by testers and/or developers then the chances of solving it are virtually nil.

Finally, you will also see that I have pointed out that there is more than once cause for freezing problems, the unequivocal evidence being that those who have already solved their problems in different ways.

Asking for savegames is not "stonewalling". It is the only way we are going to make any progress. If someone has a "repeatable" save then this is useful, but obviously may well not solve the problems of those who have "random" freezes. Nevertheless, it is useful.

If you want to help track down the problem(s) then feel free to do so.

fortysix2nz
x3

Post by fortysix2nz » Sat, 7. Jan 06, 23:00

Just out of pure interest. I produced the same sound loop bug by writing a script and accidently leaving in an infinite loop.

I doubt this is always a problem, or infact ever a probelm, but it is interesting. Hope its not a red herring though.

I minimised the occurance of this bug on my comp by playing in windowed mode (thus not allowing AA) but still with 16x AF and glow enabled, and not using ST or UTs.

Now the bug is tempermental, it just doesn't seem to like X3 being played sometimes. I can sometimes play for hours, others I get constant bugs and just stop playing to give the game some alone time. :P

phish75
x3

Post by phish75 » Sun, 8. Jan 06, 00:50

Jesus, looks like it's gonna be a long wait till this problem is fixed. I know you're tryin to do ya best to solve this Egosoft, but i am now starting to feel the first glimmers of hatred for your corporation.
You sold me faulty f**kin goods mate...your geek programmers have done one over on us all.
You will fix this.

Domage
x3tc

Post by Domage » Sun, 8. Jan 06, 03:12

Can anyone tell me of a site to put this save file up on?

mbelcher25
x3

Post by mbelcher25 » Sun, 8. Jan 06, 03:26

Since I have been playing over a week now with no freezes since I got rid of my ut's I decided to try activating one today, just to see what would happen.

Game froze within 5 minutes....

Domage
x3tc

Post by Domage » Sun, 8. Jan 06, 03:52

-deleted-
Last edited by Domage on Mon, 9. Jan 06, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.

Sasheem
x3tc

Post by Sasheem » Sun, 8. Jan 06, 04:08

Well I just bought the game Thursday and loaded it up, downloaded the patch and fired it up. It freezes up in five minutes. Everytime.
I have tried all the suggestions (except the MadBoris checker, that’s a little beyond this old man) I’ve seen posted since trying to figure out what is causing this but nothing is working. I start out on quick start and have only once made it to the jump gate, it locked up as soon as I entered Home of Light. I was getting the skipping sound bug I’ve read about but after updating my audio drivers that stopped, but still no luck.

From what I’ve read so far I seem to be the only one who freezes up that quickly, most of you seem to be able to at least play for a few hours. Any ideas?

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.8GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Page File: 247MB used, 2469MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
System Model: MS-7125
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
NVIDIA GeForce 6200
Display Memory: 256.0 MB
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.8195 (English)
NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio
Hardware ID: NFORCE_VAD
Type: WDM
Driver Name: nvapu.sys
Driver Version: 6.14.0462.0000 (English)

Sasheem
....murmer a little sadly how love fled
and paced upon the mountians overhead
and hid his face amid a crowd of stars.

W.B.Yeats

mbelcher25
x3

Post by mbelcher25 » Sun, 8. Jan 06, 13:28

Well Well Well...I have encountered a freeze without any ut's running. So getting rid of my ut's only reduced the frequency of the freezes, but has not eliminated them.

After this freeze, I rebooted and reloaded and tried to monitor what was happening...of course the freeze happened again right on time, as I expected it would, however I was not able to see anything in particular that might be helpful in isolating the cause.

I will now begin the process of figuring out how to get past the freeze-point.

Hoops71
x3

Post by Hoops71 » Sun, 8. Jan 06, 13:37

@Sasheem- Give MadBoris's codec fix a try,its helped me quite a bit,althouth I still get a freeze every few hours still. Im sure theres someone on here who will guide you through the proccess.
BTW my game has/does freeze with no UT.(Never used them).
Why is the game using these 'bad' codecs anyway? :?

mbelcher25
x3

Post by mbelcher25 » Sun, 8. Jan 06, 14:22

Well, getting past the freeze point wasn't too hard. All I had to do was save my game and reload from the new save game to get past the freeze.

To confirm this, I re-loaded the autosave game I was getting the freeze with and sure enough, it froze again right on time.

So I again rebooted and reloaded the good save and once again got past the save point no problem.

So why would the game freeze at a certain point, then after rebooting and reloading the last autosave, freeze predictably at the same point, yet by creating and loading a new save, just moments later than the autosave, consistently get past the freeze point?

Gorgon
x3

Post by Gorgon » Sun, 8. Jan 06, 14:23

I have got the same problem, but with me, the game freezes particularly when I play for a longer time (about 30 minutes) withnout saving the game. When I save the game, the freezing do not occur. When it freezes and I reboot and run the game again, load the last save and do exactly the same, it freezes on the same spot. When I do something different, it freezes too, and I think that it is after the same amount of time. Only think that helps me is this save load method posted above and I can play on for another while.

mbelcher25
x3

Post by mbelcher25 » Sun, 8. Jan 06, 14:46

Well then it seems there are only two possibilities. Either the freeze is caused by some event in the game, the timing of which is altered by saving and loading the new save,

OR

The save function itself is somehow corrupting the current game (and saving the corrupted state) AND a subsequent save does NOT contain the corrupted state.

The_Heretic
x3

Post by The_Heretic » Sun, 8. Jan 06, 17:45

@ mbelcher25

Thats pretty interesting, because in my testing of the Balloon theory, I progressed along an exploration path saving and grinding every 3-5 sectors - until I hit the point where freezes were occuring, and doing so repeatably. Now if we apply your theory to that, it also fits whats observed. So I guess a test I can perform is to do as you say, and load my "bad" save up, re-save it and grind again.

I reckon that could be pretty interesting.

As a sidenote, Im going to upload my "good" save - which is past the freeze-point in my game - so that anyone else who is still stuck can at least get going again.
Ill post more on this another day.

Ill try to test you theory with my own saves over the next few days.

nice one,
Heretic.

ATTN : CBJ, any idea if the saves perform any "auxilliary" actions, like terminaing some ongoing process, which might reflect this idea ?
>> I wonder if David Braben ever got hate mail ??

mbelcher25
x3

Post by mbelcher25 » Sun, 8. Jan 06, 20:12

It would not be surprising to find that some randomizing function is seeded with a value that is saved in the save game. Thus each game starting from a particular save will have the same seed value, so that pseudo-random events in the game play out the same way from a given save game, however might play out differently if an earlier or later save were loaded.

Also, either this freeze not related to ut's, or having ut's running dramatically increases the frequency of freeze event.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”