[SHIPS] My Ships

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

MJALowe
x3

Post by MJALowe » Thu, 10. May 07, 01:11

that version of the leviathan is gona dispear soon...im working on a new/better model

note: it can internal dock standard ships...which includes up to m7 btw
note2: the only reason i classed it as a TL is so it can deplot stations...reclass it as anything you want....realistically its an m0

note3: the new one im working on will barely be able to fit through a gate...itll probably make the fortress ship seem small (its currently 3x the length of a teladi phoenix and almost 3x the height, and its almost as wide as the inside widths of the gates)

Thraxwhirl
x3ap

Post by Thraxwhirl » Thu, 10. May 07, 01:16

Before you get rid of it, MJAlowe, you wouldn't be willing to release a version, using the same model, that has fewer turrets and fewer weapons choices, would you?

As it currently stands, it's absolutely perfect for what I need. It's just too overgunned, and would unbalance things.

If it had 3 turrets per facing, and weapons from IRE to B-HEPT, it'd be perfect for what I'm after. :)

MJALowe
x3

Post by MJALowe » Fri, 11. May 07, 09:33

soo...either x3 has a file size limit, or im encountering a really anoying error

guess 22mb (uncompressed) is too big a file

when generating the components file (letting x3 do it for me) the game crashes with a file not found error...

now to find out the max file size for x3...so i can split up the model for the new ship (i dont like to split up the models cause dbox and 3dsmax 8 cant load them when split up (atleast when they are this big)...dbox crashes)

so once i resolve this ill post an image for the new leviathan...its BIG...and i need to check if it can still dock and travel through gates...and if the standard ships are docking correctly

Code: Select all

1973408; // body size
// vertices (83320)
i might try doubleing its size...if it docks/gates with the front part it should work fine...

Thraxwhirl
x3ap

Post by Thraxwhirl » Fri, 11. May 07, 13:32

Hmmm.

If you make it bigger won't that just compound the problem of it being too large(in terms of megabytes) for the game to use?

Mind you, I don't know how much of the size(in bytes-terms) is governed by the physical size of the vessel. Texture detail, number of weapons and turrets etc. might also play it's part. And cockpit(s) too, if it has any.

Dunno, I'm no expert.

The (physically)biggest ship that I have in my game is YConfGod's Imperial Executor Super Star Destroyer. It's huge. Absolutely vast.

It's so enormous that its fighters can't dock aboard it whilst you're I.S., nor will it navigate through Jumpgates, and even if you are flying in a fighter, docking it aboard yourself with a Docking Computer isn't easy, because getting within 5km of the "centre" is pretty darn difficult. lol. And you sure as heck can never board the vessel after ejecting from it. If you fly along the hull in your spacesuit, I think the closest you can ever get to the "sweet spot" is about 3 or 4km before you collide with its physical hull.

Nevertheless, the .xsp of it still works. Probably because the surface detail(though reasonable) isn't excessive, it has no cockpits, and fewer weapons ports/weapons choices than your current Leviathan.

Still creates a fair bit of lag the first time it shows up though.

xTemon
x3tc

Post by xTemon » Fri, 11. May 07, 20:06

Changing the size doesn't make any difference, it's the vertices, polygon's, and textures which determine ultimate file size; the textures actually use more memory for the smaller ships-unless you only have one or two. 83320 vertices shouldn't be a problem though :?

MJALowe
x3

Post by MJALowe » Sat, 12. May 07, 08:01

well...found the problem...there is apparently a max number of textures per file....and it was trying to load ALL 150 textures

spliting it up into parts, and deleteing reference to extra textures simi manually

(delete unused from the begining of file, import, export, done)

JustHere4Coffee
x2

Post by JustHere4Coffee » Sat, 12. May 07, 10:15

Endremion wrote:So you want a modified Hyperion, (have to figure out a name for a new M6 version)
Hyperbole :?

KanineLupus
x2

Post by KanineLupus » Sat, 12. May 07, 11:22

Thraxwhirl wrote: 2) I looooooonnnngggg for an M6 version of the M7 Hyperion, but I've never seen one available anywhere. I don't think it'd require much alteration, but I've an idea or two in mind.
Out of curiosity ....why?? There are actually four versions of the Nemesis in the TShips file (although the raider, sentinal and vanguard versions did need a reballance). Wouldn't it make more sense to make use of thoserather than giving the Paranid another M6??

@MJALowe - just a point in regards to the Sentinal - you really ought to consider adding a 'NURBS' to the sperical part of the cockpit - just set the 'smoothing' value to zero if you don't want your poly count to go through the roof. As a suggestion, select and detach (as a seperate object) the area to be smoothed, apply the NURBS, convert to mesh to lock in the smoothing and re-attach to rest of cockpit (of course welding edged together again). You'll be quite surprised at the difference it makes :)
Ooops!!

mccabp
x3

Post by mccabp » Sun, 13. May 07, 17:55

hey, jus a quick q... y is there no graphics for the Daedulus... well, i dont have any... n i seem 2 be able to fly through ship... n i hardly evr get hit... i sat infront of a J in a Xenon sector... didnt take ne damage (a lil... but most stuff missed me...)

plz help!!!
'Its called GREAT Britain for a reason, not Mediocre of Half-way Britain, GREAT, and you should think yourself bloody lucky to have been let in u kiwi!' - 'Yes sir...' - Mr. Gillard telling one of his foreign students the advantage of bein British

MJALowe
x3

Post by MJALowe » Sun, 13. May 07, 23:33

im gona guess there was an install error of somekind...you should most definatly have graphics for it...you can see a pic of it in the original post

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Mon, 14. May 07, 14:13

my favourite is the split ship. I also like the xperimental shuttle and the first model.. the one I dont like so much is the 4th one, looks like a stretched xperimental shuttle.

Keep up the good work!

Archmagister
x4

Post by Archmagister » Mon, 14. May 07, 16:56

Greetings!
I like the aesthetic of the Leviathan(I like the class name, too), and would love to test it out. Finally a proper M0 class battleship that actually fits into the universe!
Though to be fair, the other ships seem to me overpowered, but I suppose that can easily be balanced with the editor.

However, there is a problem. I also have Imp's cockpit mod running and so, in order to be able to retain the cockpits, I use Cycrow's ship installer to merge the cockpit mod with the ship. But when I start the game with merged mods, it immediately crashes before it even gets to the loading screen with an error.
If I install the ship on the base game(clean), it works fine, but then I don't have the cockpits. I have tried everything, including reinstalling the ship manager, and nothing seems to work.
Is there no way to use the cockpit mod and custom ships together? I just can't imagine going back to default external view, it would completely ruin the immersion for me.
Does anyone have any idea on what could be the problem?

defiant1
x4

Post by defiant1 » Mon, 14. May 07, 20:21

first of all what error does it give you? an example is below

"this game (or save game) is corrupted, X3 will now close..."

if its giving you some error thats like the one i put (corruted save game) you need to load that save game and switch to an outside view (so no cockpit is showing) and then save, close X3 then do the merge or what ever your wanting, save all that, load X3 start game, then reload your save game and if it works the way that its supposed to you should be able to see the out side of your ship and hit F1 so your back inside it and the cockpit *should* work properly... Dont blame me if it doesnt work as I dont know what error message your gettting (altho the one stated above is most common so im giving you the best work around so you dont have to start a fresh game)...

hope this helps you out a bit...
Teladi Next Minute Shipping®

xTemon
x3tc

Post by xTemon » Mon, 14. May 07, 22:03

JustHere4Coffee wrote:
Endremion wrote:So you want a modified Hyperion, (have to figure out a name for a new M6 version)
Hyperbole :?

You'll find Hyperion referenced in the side notes of Hamlet; it's a diety of some sort if I recall correctly-"...glorius sung god of classical mythology"

Archmagister
x4

Post by Archmagister » Tue, 15. May 07, 22:22

defiant1 wrote:first of all what error does it give you?
Actually, it is an X3.exe error right at the start of the game, with no specific error message. No corrupted savegames or such. I only get this error when using an installed ship with Imp's cockpit mod, and not when installing the ship on clean base(unmodded game).
It seems the problem might be some sort of incompatibility with the cockpit mod, but I have no idea of what kind.
Endremion wrote:You'll find Hyperion referenced in the side notes of Hamlet; it's a diety of some sort if I recall correctly-"...glorius sung god of classical mythology"
Hyperion is a Titan(the deity, not the destroyer).

Thraxwhirl
x3ap

Post by Thraxwhirl » Tue, 15. May 07, 23:56

Out of curiosity ....why?? There are actually four versions of the Nemesis in the TShips file (although the raider, sentinal and vanguard versions did need a reballance). Wouldn't it make more sense to make use of thoserather than giving the Paranid another M6??
Well, for starters the Paranid wouldn't use it. I'd set its race to Player. I chose the Hyperion for such a purpose because it is, effectively YOUR ship, so an M6 variant would be also.

As for this or that race having more than their fair share of this or that class, I don't really think that's an issue. There are loads of .xsp ships to DL on the 'net, and it's not the Paranid who get over-subscribed. It's the Argon. Just look at the Star Trek stuff for instance. When all's said and done, this is a matter for the individual player to balance what he/she downloads, even changing the race-ownership in Ship Installer if necessary.

The reason for choosing the Hyperion is that it's the ship whose appearance most appeals to me, and fits most neatly with my fleet.

I don't really care what the M6 version of the Hyperion gets called, since I note some of you debating that. I don't care about what it would be called. What's in a name? ;) Besides, I can always rename it myself.

No, the reason I would be ever so grateful to ANYONE who could clone and modify the ship is simply this:

I'm quite substantially disabled, and as such I cannot fly ships very effectively in combat. Don't have the necessary co-ordination, on account of my paralysis, and so I can't dogfight with front weapons.

This means that I'm always having to use Fight Command II, and "Attack All"/"Attack Target" - which is fine, but I get tired of just sitting there while the AI flies the ship.

Now, back in the days of X2, DeadlyDa made an M6 version of the Teladi Osprey that had turreted forward weapons, and I found that if the turrets handled the tracking, aiming and firing, I was able to do a perfectly adequate job of flying he vessel and keeping "on the tail"(as it were) of enemy ships - even quite agile ones.

In short, if I could have an M6 version of the Hyperion with 4 turreted front weapons instead of 8 "straight-ahead" forward-firing weapons, I'd be able to engage in combat - at least the flying side of it.

That's my idea.

And as I say, I'd be so grateful to anyone willing to make such an .xsp. It wouldn't require a vast amount of work, as the mesh already exists. Just needs its weapons configuration changing... and I thought maybe two horizontal wings instead of the four diagonal ones, just so that one could tell them apart by looking.

I'd be ever so appreciative is such a ship were made. :)

MJALowe
x3

Post by MJALowe » Thu, 24. May 07, 09:37

Update to my ships, check the first post

edit: fixed a turret problem with the leviathan and patton, added the patton 2

MJALowe
x3

Post by MJALowe » Mon, 28. May 07, 02:10

well, ive added six more ships...these might even look nicer, cause i gave them what i hope are bump maps, and self lighting

McItoshi
x4

Post by McItoshi » Mon, 28. May 07, 02:26

I got hold of the uss Hanibal and uss Paton the other day . . very good ships !

they looks cool and they've got some very interesting weapon placements
I look forward to giving that new destroyer a spin round the nearest Xeon sector to see what its made of.

MJALowe
x3

Post by MJALowe » Mon, 28. May 07, 02:47

believe it or not...i toasted a leviathan with that :twisted:

edit: note: i have self illumination and bump data for the destroyer and carrier, but i havent uploaded those ones yet, and probably wont unless i find another problem...the models as can be seen are much darker with the bump data loaded....(im assuming what ive got is bump data and not specualar data)

edit2: grr...got the specular data mixed up with the bump data....gona re release all of em next week...after more "testing" (tring to up the polly count on some of them and keep em looking nice)

edit3: links will be down for a bit as i update the files

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”