[SCRIPT] Overtune BBS V1.50 : Updated 19/06/2006

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

What do you think of the current pricing

Poll ended at Sun, 27. Nov 05, 12:32

Its too cheap
31%
i think its about right
51%
it should be cheaper
17%

Total votes: 35

nemesisx3

Post by nemesisx3 » Thu, 25. Jan 07, 19:02

just started to think one thing that i'm interested about...

since i like to mod ships for my personal use (well, i don't know how to script and such), in a way that i get the right "tool" for the right job that acts/works as my personal likes are...

So, to the point:

If i overtune one ship with this script, then dismantle it in player headquarters (overtunings still in place), Will i then get blue prints of _that_ overtuned ship or the regular one (and i lose those overtunigs for nothing) ?

If this won't give me blueprints of the overtuned ship, would it be possible to make script, or better yet, expand this script so that feature would be implemented into this one?

well just my 2 cents, 'cos i would like to have fleet of "unique" ships of my own... and not to chase for those overtuning opportunities for all of these ships individually, but say: when i have tuned current ship to point that i want to copy it over, i could dismantle it in player HQ and then start to reproduce these ships by my self... that would kick some arses around :)

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 25. Jan 07, 20:53

u just get the standard ship.

the ship making is hardcoded into the game, so when you reverse engineer the ship, what u get is the id position of the ship in TShips.

so when you create it, it just uses that same ID, so it doesn't come with any tunings.

there really is no way to change the blueprints, how they are created, and how ships are created from them.

the best u could do, would be to make a new way, designed to add tunings to a ship, then have these upgrades created in bulk and apply them to ships

nemesisx3

Post by nemesisx3 » Fri, 26. Jan 07, 00:39

oh ok, i was afraid of something like this :) well, can't get allways what you want...

also, am i right if i presume that it is not possible (in convenient way) to do script that would allow modifying of ship's stats after reverse engineering and before producing..?

I mean, what i very first was hoping, was that it would be kewl to have possibility to :
1st : reverse engineer ship to blueprints
2nd : modify ships stats in give tolerances or something like that....(affecting to needed resources, time to produce etc, time to design those changes...).
3rd : blueprint that comes this way out, uses for its resources the reversed ship + time used for new/modified design work...
4th : manufacturing of this unique ship(s)....

well, i think i have shoot now bit over the edge of what is possible and what's not :D

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Fri, 26. Jan 07, 01:10

the simple answer is no

HQ and blueprint functionality is hardcoded. And the blueprint simply points to the TShips id of the ship, so when u create it from a blueprint, you are creating a ship with the same stats as specified in TShips.

only way to edit the stats are to edit TShips, which will also change the stats of all the ships of that type in the universe

nemesisx3

Post by nemesisx3 » Fri, 26. Jan 07, 03:31

this may be a dumb kinda question (since i don't know much about scripting...) but isn't this the scenario when reverse engineering ship:

From the source ships ID (what ever this is) the station take id to identify ships stats.
Then, when creating blueprint, it forwards this ID to Blueprints?
When building ship, station checks the Blueprint's ship ID that point to ships stats and from there comes ships statistics (spee, hull etc...)?

So, what i'm now wondering is, where from in first place station takes ship id when reverse engineering. And isn't that true, no matter what id that ship has, this pricess only forwards this info (Sip ID) to the Blueprint "file"?

so what i'm tryin to say is that
this ring here --> O has id 111
_
then this thing here ---> I_I, reverse engineers that and reads the ID 111 of the item.

Then that "box" item, forwards the ID 111 to the item's Blueprints...

Now, when i want to recreate that O thing, factory reads th ID of 111, and produces one...

So, again oterwise said:
gor example, in the game we have M3 ship, let's say Argon Nova and it has it's own statistics information in various files.

Then, when i get my overtuned M3 Argon Nova for example, it get's it's own statistic information (which is changed from original).
Currently, if i'm right, this changed information is only saved to Players Save file?...not into Tships and others..

Here come's the tricky part:
would it be possible to make game engine to check form save file for ship variations (eq. changed ship statistics and their new IDs)? and then use these changed stats when producing from blueprints own ships?

Or, other way, would it be possible to make script change/save even a 1 or few new ship statistics into Tships and other files (ie. meging the information in) and create new IDs from thin air on it's own? (without conflicting anything....ofcourse)...

anyhow, thanks for answers so far, i think i leave you in peace after this. Yet i think it could be possible to do, but i don't know exact knowhow to do it, and here i am :rant: with my wise ideas and thoughts :D

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Fri, 26. Jan 07, 14:37

basically how it works, each ship in game is an object, that object has various paremeters, like whats its in cargo bay, the amount of damage on the ship, the number of tunings etc.

when overtuning the ship, the stats of the ship remain the same, they just have more tunings added.

and as i've said, the blueprints are simply pointing to the ship objects in TShips.

scripts can in no way edit or change TShips, and even if it could, the changes wont take effect until you close and reload the game. But making these changes will most likly make save games incompatable and wont load anyways.

there really is no way of creating customized blueprints

asmondar
x3

Post by asmondar » Fri, 26. Jan 07, 21:31

BeastieBoy wrote:Hi All,

Did anybody take physics at school?

Why would going faster in a Zero G environment damage your hull or shields?

There is no force acting on the ship to do that. Also that is a major flaw in the game when your hull is damaged as there is no Drag in space as per Newtons 1st law of inertial motion. A body will reamin in motion until acted on by an external force. therefore when you get hull damage it should make no difference to the speed of the ship. You could argue that the power core is damaged or the engines or damaged but not through hull drag as the manual claims, as there is not external force acting on the ship.

Also to enable you to go faster 2 things have to happen, as in an aircraft you have to do 2 things: 1. beef up the power core and 2 beef up the engines to handle the extra power. The only reason damage would occur in a gravitational environment is G _Force increased by manoeuverability, that is why all military aircraft are controlled by computer to limit the control inputs to ensure they don't overstress the airframes.

So the increase in speed wouldn't affect the hull damage or shield rating, but it would affect manoeuvrability, the faster you go the bigger your turn radius. A ship at 50 would turn quicker than the same ship at 200, thats plain and simple physiscs and geometry. Facts that apply to all environments.

The only way to beef up the three main areas on the ships: Weapons , engines and shields is to beef up the power core as it feeds all 3 in fact without beefing up the core upgrading either 1 of the 3 would decrease the other 2 as it would increase the power drain.The core would have to be increased in it's maximum enrergy output. this would mean using a more powerfull fuel or a bigger reactor

Another way would to put a power redirection system on to ballance the available power. E.G. when not in combat increase power to the engines to go faster, but not be able to fire your weapons for as long or reduce your shiled recharge rates, when in combat you could boost power to the shields or weapons but take it from the engines and go slower. Xwing and Tie fighter did this and to me it is much more realistic. Also you could model shifting power between the shield buffers to weapons and vice versa. Or maybe split the shields to front and rear and be able to ballance them as well, so more to the front in head on attacks and more to the rear for running away.

The way the ship physics are modled at the moment don't make sense, or comply with the laws of physics.

BB
I have to do it.

Space, when people think of space, they think of a whole lot of nothingness, with some planets and stars and what not. What they don't think of are the particals of dust and ice and little tiny things that we don't really see.

Why would a ship in 0 Gravity get Damage to Hull or Shielding depending on speed? Well if you have full powered shields, then part of their job is to deflect oncoming particals from your hull. However, if you go too fast and your shields are weakend, then more and more particals, gas from nebulas can leak through the shielding and in effect hit the hull. In effect Damaging the Hull.

Also, most objects in space are moving. It doesnt really matter how much they weigh, when you hit a moving object with another moving object, there is some effect. And since the dust and other particals are moving in space, and so is your spaceship, perhaps in opposite directions, would also cause hull damage. If, it got through your shields.

Again, contrary to what some may think. Space isn't a whole lot of space and nothing else.

Thank you,

My name is Darrel, this is my brother Darrel and my other brother Darrel.

reinhart_menken

Post by reinhart_menken » Fri, 16. Feb 07, 02:42

I have an idea which might come in handy. Could you also create overtuning kits that can be carried to another ship and used on it? Maybe an overtuning one-time-drone? This way we can overtune our capped ships (or just normal produced or bought ships) without having to fly them around ourselves. The money can be charged when an overtuning is done via command; this way the player would still have to pay the same amount of price as he would on the BBS.

IronDuke
x3tc

Post by IronDuke » Thu, 3. May 07, 03:43

Hi there I've just started playing again upon sufing the web when i came across this script i downloaded the script installer and the file for this script but it doesnt seem to show up anywhere in the BBS not to mention the AI setting doesnt show any option.

Can anyone please tell me if ive done anything wrong?

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 3. May 07, 03:59

first thing to make sure, if that the script editor is enabled in your current game ?

if the Artifical Life Settings menu is there, then theres a good chance it is enabled, if you cant find the menu, then that would be your problem.

if that doesn't fix it, then make sure you have installed it to the correct directory, u can check it by going into the script editor in game, and browse the script files, there should be ones called, plugin.overtune.*

if they are not there, then they have not been installed in the correct place.

finally, if all that seems fine, try to redownload the file and install it, also check in the plugin manager and view the script files, it should list all the files it has installed for the script, check that it has some files listed

IronDuke
x3tc

Post by IronDuke » Thu, 3. May 07, 07:38

first thing to make sure, if that the script editor is enabled in your current game ?

Yup its enabled.

if the Artifical Life Settings menu is there, then theres a good chance it is enabled, if you cant find the menu, then that would be your problem.

The AI menu is there but i dont see any options in it.

if that doesn't fix it, then make sure you have installed it to the correct directory, u can check it by going into the script editor in game, and browse the script files, there should be ones called, plugin.overtune.*

if they are not there, then they have not been installed in the correct place.

Yup i went in to see if the files where there and they were.

finally, if all that seems fine, try to redownload the file and install it, also check in the plugin manager and view the script files, it should list all the files it has installed for the script, check that it has some files listed

I downloaded it twice already and kept replacing the file but no joy. However maybe it has to do with the plugin manager? I see it here saying Enabled yes and signed no... maybe thats the problem?

Edit - Thanks for the quick reply!

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 3. May 07, 12:58

if u went to the script editor and the files were listed, then the installation worked, if it didn't, u wouldn't c the files there.

try manually running the al.plugin.overtune script and c if that fixes it

IronDuke
x3tc

Post by IronDuke » Thu, 3. May 07, 13:25

Right will try it soon... Thanks again

Edit - Ok i ran the script manually with no arguments when they asked me for it. And now i see the darn plugins in the AI manual Thanks alot man!

Chieftonw
x3ap

Post by Chieftonw » Sat, 21. Jul 07, 06:52

Is there some reason why I am never offered the option to increase the speed of my Super Dolphin? I am only ever offered the option to increase my maneuverability. So far I have been offered that about 30 times, but not once has the option to increase speed ever been offered. In any other ship the speed increase seemed to be offered about as much as the rudder increase.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sat, 21. Jul 07, 10:48

its completly random what you get offered.

however, there is a gap when you get offered the speed, so if u've recently upgraded the speed, you wont c it again for awhile.

other than that, u will just be unlucky

Chieftonw
x3ap

Post by Chieftonw » Wed, 25. Jul 07, 09:15

What I am noticing is a relationship between the rudder and speed upgrades. It seems that one can not be upgraded much more then the other. I have noticed that if I am in a ship, which never seems to get an upgrade for speed, if I buy a rudder upgrade the speed upgrade is offered shortly after wards. Does this make sense?

In regards to my Dolphin it had never been upgraded and was never offered the speed upgrade. However as soon as I upgraded the rudder once, the speed upgrade was offered shortly afterwards.

AlphaCharlieOscar

Post by AlphaCharlieOscar » Wed, 25. Jul 07, 14:13

How many times are you able to apply these tunings on one ship? Is there a set limit or is it unlimited?

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 25. Jul 07, 14:46

its unlimited technically, althou the faster the ship goes, the more problems that might occur

PorteNoir

Post by PorteNoir » Sun, 2. Sep 07, 12:04

Great script, but is there any chance for lite version? Without any damaging scripts but with only 2 speed and 2 rudder optimisation per ship so those of us who cant control themselves wont be tempted to buy more and more. I would prefer this kind of restriction over damaging shield or hull, not to mention that no additional speed checks during flight means more processing power for other things.

starkiller239

Post by starkiller239 » Wed, 12. Sep 07, 03:32

Whats the waiting period inbetween speed/rudder sets. IE, I just bought both, how long till I see it offered again. Approximately.

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”