[UTILITY] Remove Rocks From Sector v1.03 [UPDATED 07/09/06]

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

ORIOLE
x2

Post by ORIOLE » Tue, 6. Mar 07, 09:26

Thx bunny for another great script :!:

Hi guys,

Is there a significant increase in performance (loading times, stuttering) when using this script and option 4?

Thx,
:)

BlackRazor
x4

Post by BlackRazor » Tue, 6. Mar 07, 09:28

ORIOLE wrote:Thx bunny for another great script :!:

Hi guys,

Is there a significant increase in performance (loading times, stuttering) when using this script and option 4?

Thx,
:)
I guess that only depends on your PC, if you have a fast rig you may have little to no improvement, my suggestion is to try it yourself and see what happens :D
"For the love of the Fish-Queen!"

Bunny
x3ap

Post by Bunny » Tue, 6. Mar 07, 09:44

I had a big difference for Seizewell and Kingdoms End.

But as BlackRazor said it is very computer dependent.

ORIOLE
x2

Post by ORIOLE » Tue, 6. Mar 07, 10:01

Thx :D

mcsquared
x3tc

Post by mcsquared » Tue, 6. Mar 07, 17:43

Thanks again Bunny, this script is excellent!

mcsquared
x3tc

Post by mcsquared » Thu, 8. Mar 07, 21:58

Really enjoy your script. One suggestion, I think you should rename your script. Take out the word "cheat." Think about it, any advanced civilization that wants to encourage trade would make their systems as navigationally safe as possible--by removing as many rocks as possible. Maybe they would want to spend the resources to remove asteroids but rocks, yes! Your script isn't "cheating" it's just correcting what Egosoft overdid--way to many rocks!

povljr

Post by povljr » Mon, 19. Mar 07, 10:24

Bunny your script is wonderful. I don't have to rely on seeker missles and area of effect weapons to kill bad guys in sectors with too many small rocks. I can actually use lasers again! (the choppyness and slow framerate is MUCH better) Couple of things I think I can add to your step by step response on the second page but will do later as I'm too anxious to get back to my game and have fun again! :P

DJ Wolf

Post by DJ Wolf » Sat, 24. Mar 07, 13:19

Great Script and necessary given the fact that I'm running a 1.9Ghz CPU with 512Mb of memory.

However, about an hour after I got rid of the rocks in the universe, I was in 'Ocean of Fantasy' when I got the message that my expensive UT superfreighter somehow caused me to lose significant rep with the Boron and was destroyed in the process in the same sector. I wasn't facing that way so I didn't see it happen. The message just said. 'ship blah blah was destroyed. So I exited and went back to the last save.

I decided to leave the sector. I targeted the gate and used auto drive to leave while I use the 'property menu' through which I saw I was slamming into a factory, The bofu Chemical lab L delta, in Oceans of Fantasy.

I reloaded and repeated the action to see what was happening and I slammed into the same factory. Normally, the AI autodrive can be a bit shonky and it's attempts to miss things aren't always that great. What was strange was that the autodrive made no attempt to miss it as if this particular station wasn't there. I reloaded and tried to target the station but I could only manage that by using the sector map and using the curser keys.

Could the remove rocks affect the AI's ability to see this particular station? I don't know that it was the rocks script fault. Perhaps, it was because the script editor was still activated or because I'd also enstalled the 'Mod and script intaller'. Or maybe it's coincidence.

Has anyone else had problems with this AI station?

Shovinus
x3

Post by Shovinus » Sat, 24. Mar 07, 13:31

Bunny can I suggest you put a wait 1 ms within the while function you are probably using, for clearing the universe? This will mean it takes longer to clean but the player should still have control of his/her ship and it does not lock up. It is trying to remove millions of rocks. but if after removing one rock it waits for 1 ms it means the player still has control (even if it is more stuttery)

EDIT : I am not sure if this will work, and it would meaning having to add an "If object exists" adding longer wait times would increase perfomance but mean total clearing takes longer, but if you dont care if the entire universe is cleared right that second but you do want to play it could be more useful

Other ideas, (still assuming you are using and array) If you get size of array then display a message every 5% that is done (

Code: Select all

$percent = $arraysize / 20, 
if (whatever you are using as while) = 1 * $percent
= wait 1 ms
display message "5%" diplay = [true]
= wait 1 ms
end
)

That isn't exact but I am sure you understand what i mean, needs to include 10% 15% etc, alot more lines)

Bunny
x3ap

Post by Bunny » Sat, 24. Mar 07, 14:29

Most people seem to be only getting a couple of seconds lockup with the current code. The 1ms wait time limits the loop rate to the number of FPS the computer can deliver. So I took it out and the script no longer took 30 mins to clear my universe.

Shovinus
x3

Post by Shovinus » Sat, 24. Mar 07, 15:43

yes sorry I tested also, the script I used this with is not quite the same as yours, in order for it to make a difference in yours it needed to be a much longer wait time, more like 50 -100 ms so there is not much point. Sorry :) oh well.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sat, 24. Mar 07, 17:26

How about removing Yield 0 Asteroids as well?
Those are completely useless unless you want to go asteroid mining which apparently is not the case if you use this script. =P

They may or may not respawn after a while but *shrug*. Get thee hence!
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Bunny
x3ap

Post by Bunny » Sat, 24. Mar 07, 18:13

Just tested in Freedom's Reach and it cleared all the yield zero rocks. You just need to reenter the sector to get rid of the ghost rocks (which are pretty much all of them for that sector)

Interesting that you mention respawning of yield zero rocks. A year ago (before this script) I had finished cleaning Antigone Memorial of rocks using BPSGs. I tried the same approach with Freedom's Reach and it seemed impossible to do so :gruebel: .

The script is much faster way :)

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sat, 24. Mar 07, 18:52

Thanks.
Didnt know it already does that since in the first post it says that only rocks that are not listed on the map are removed.
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sat, 24. Mar 07, 23:01

I tried it now and nope... it does not remove those asteroids.

Not sure if it was BalaGi but the unknown sector 18/10 has a ton of 0 yield asteroids.
Minable asteroids, mind you, just with 0 yield, so completely useless...

Never tried if the Object cmd Disable Ship Rebuild affects Asteroids but that might be useful if it does.

Bunny
x3ap

Post by Bunny » Sat, 24. Mar 07, 23:27

It is not meant to remove asteroids, only rocks :) .

Build three medium mines and throw the self destruct button on each. Bye bye asteroids.

During script testing I deleted all map asteroids from the universe. After three days I had no repawns. It may suppress it :gruebel: - which is the reason I did not add "mine low yield asteroids" to the mobile miner script*.

* hornet missile and the mobile drilling systems would create rocks when fired at asteroids OOS. The only problem was the asteroid refused to die and more and more rocks would be produced every time it got hit. Now we are talking about an insane amount of rocks here. Anyway, deleting the asteroid seemed like a work around but then there was the problem with the respawns...so that idea got canned.

synctrance

Post by synctrance » Thu, 29. Mar 07, 22:48

Sorry for this lame question, im new to using scripts, but how does this affect your saved game?
If i do a fresh install of X3 and load my saved game without rocks, would they spawn again?

Shovinus
x3

Post by Shovinus » Thu, 29. Mar 07, 23:39

They shouldn't, no

alienjohnson
x3

remove rocks

Post by alienjohnson » Wed, 4. Apr 07, 18:18

Where I can find a current and active download of Romove Rocks? And will it work with X3/2.0.02?

I am unable to get the file from the updated thread for this subject.

I found the file for Less Rocks just fine.

Thanks,

AJ

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 4. Apr 07, 18:20

Well you won't find it in the X Universe forum. Moved to Scripts and Modding where it belongs.

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”