Just what is going on in the Ukraine? Including vote now, for politicians among us;)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

What should happen in the Ukraine?

Russia should be left to re - annex the Crimea, that's it.
17%
Russia should be allowed to annex most of eastern Ukraine.
2%
Russia should be allowed to annex the whole of the Ukraine.
5%
Crimea should be transformed into an independant state.
5%
Crimea should remain as part of Ukraine, but with increased autonomy.
15%
Crimea should reamain a part of the Ukraine, full stop.
14%
Nato should start to reinforce our eastern allies; lets have a new Cold War.
21%
Not bothered as long as we avoid nuclear war.
20%

Total votes: 84

SirDeathwalker
x4

Post by SirDeathwalker » Fri, 15. Aug 14, 07:44

siddham wrote: Washington routinely overthrows governments that do not submit to its dictates.
and Russia does the same thing, like Crimea, a Russian supported rebellion that 'voluntarily voted' to joining with Russia in a vote chock full of irregularities like only allowing pro Russia votes to be cast.
Last edited by SirDeathwalker on Fri, 15. Aug 14, 08:04, edited 1 time in total.

Olterin
xr

Post by Olterin » Fri, 15. Aug 14, 08:00

So could someone explain why there are around 280 trucks worth of supplies carrying 2000 t ... when each of them is designated for 20-40 t capacity? Because it averages out to roughly 7.142 t per truck ... :?
"Do or do not, there is no try"
"My Other Overwhelming Mixed Assault Fleet is a Brigantine" -Seleucius, commenting on my ship naming scheme

V2200
xr

Post by V2200 » Fri, 15. Aug 14, 11:00

SirDeathwalker wrote:'voluntarily voted'
Give the proof, that it was in another way.

Olterin
Volume?

Olterin
xr

Post by Olterin » Fri, 15. Aug 14, 11:32

I considered volume, but the average density, given that almost half of it is (I think?) more or less water, doesn't line up still. Maybe I'm missing something, however (despite that) :?

Edit: rough guesstimates presented here that I considered:
Volume of said truck: 2.5m by 12.5m by 3.5m = roughly 100 cubic meters
Total volume of convoy: 280*100 = 28000 cubic meters
Listed cargo transport capacity of each truck: 20-40 t
Average density: 2000t/28000 cubic meters = 1/14 t/cubic meter (1/14 of density of water, or roughly 0.07 of density of water for easier comparison with below)
Maximum density per truck: 40t/100 cubic meters = 0.4 t/cubic meter (0.4 of density of water)

Conclusion: for some reason or other, it looks like the convoy isn't exactly full.
"My Other Overwhelming Mixed Assault Fleet is a Brigantine" -Seleucius, commenting on my ship naming scheme

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Fri, 15. Aug 14, 17:59

Olterin wrote:So could someone explain why there are around 280 trucks worth of supplies carrying 2000 t ... when each of them is designated for 20-40 t capacity? Because it averages out to roughly 7.142 t per truck ... :?
Ease of access maybe? If the truck is like a rolling grocery store it would need an aisle.

Maybe 'aid' is prepackaged and a lot of air space is in the packaging.

Just a couple guesses, but it is an interesting question.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Fri, 15. Aug 14, 19:01

What sort of truck carries 40 tons?

IIRC the EU limit is 44 tons, but that's laden weight, not what's on the truck. About half the weight it the truck itself. Engines, bodywork, fuel etc.

I'm with Tim on the air idea. Food contains a lot of air in the packaging. you can't shove all the oranges together like bricks in a hod, They'd bruise and go bad. Ditto apples, ditto any food unless it's biscuits or in cans I suppose but even cans are round not square so there will be air gaps.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Fri, 15. Aug 14, 19:13

brucewarren wrote:What sort of truck carries 40 tons?

IIRC the EU limit is 44 tons, but that's laden weight, not what's on the truck. About half the weight it the truck itself. Engines, bodywork, fuel etc.

I'm with Tim on the air idea. Food contains a lot of air in the packaging. you can't shove all the oranges together like bricks in a hod, They'd bruise and go bad. Ditto apples, ditto any food unless it's biscuits or in cans I suppose but even cans are round not square so there will be air gaps.
LOL...while you are agreeing with me I'm embarrassed to have missed what you noticed. US laden weight limit is 40 tons.

Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

V2200
xr

Post by V2200 » Fri, 15. Aug 14, 19:18

Some information about cargo:
Groats - 400 tons
Canned meat - 340t
Canned milk - 60t
Salt - 30t
Sugar - 100t
Water in bottles - 679,5t
Children's food - 62,4t
Medical accessories - 54t
Tea - 0,8t
Sleeping bag - 12500 units
Mobile power station - 69 sets

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Fri, 15. Aug 14, 20:25

A BBC report about the aid convoy. It's not conclusive of anything, but it is interesting....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28810622
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Fri, 15. Aug 14, 23:55

Since I was born there... and most of my family is there. All I can say is this. Nazi - Right sector came to power. Officially stated they will kill all jews/russians/etc.

Currently bombing schools, hospitals, etc.

Oh and the wonderful joy of nailing kids to a cross and gutting them while dragging the kids mom with a tank around just because nazis are cool like that.

USA with it's govement that's composed of prehistoric bench warmers that's been there since the good ol' days when candles were keen invention can't deal with the fact that Russia is gaining control over europe with their gas. So they started another cold war in attempt to drag Russia into a "justified" war... low and lame.

Freaking country that's been run by thieves for past 15 years is finally falling apart. I lived in Ukraine and I never seen anyone who actually spoke Ukrainian... ffs. Most of eastern Ukrain are lands given to it by Russian back in the day... west taken from Poland in good old days when Poland had slavery and "Ukrainians" were born slaves, south was taken by Russian again from Ottoman Empire.

So what is this Ukrain exactly?
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 16. Aug 14, 01:04

Funny, I know a Ukrainian, who speaks Ukrainian.

Any supporting evidence for the rest of your emotive claims?
I can't breathe.

Olterin
xr

Post by Olterin » Sat, 16. Aug 14, 02:20

Ironic, I also know several Ukrainians, who speak Ukrainian (and are from the east of the country).

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sat, 16. Aug 14, 03:57

So much for anecdotal evidence. Moving on...

Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Wed, 20. Aug 14, 20:33

EDIT: Consolidating my posts!
Timsup2nothin wrote:So much for anecdotal evidence. Moving on...

And yet, that's kind of stuff is official Russian news. Which as everyone knows, spoon fed news more or less directly from Kremlin. Must be how Kremlin feels or wants people to think.

That
- overnight, every Ukrainian turned to fascism, swasticas and all,
- there Malaysian Air was shot by mistake, by Ukrainians, because Ukrainian military was unable to check its own airspace and in reality wanted to shoot down Putin's plane, that in reality was there somewhere on the planet Earth. But that's okay, because separatists avenged those by shooting down a Ukrainian fighter plane.
- in addition to that the plane was full with corpses already [1]
- that United States controls Europe already [2] and wants to control Russia next, the only free country left

There must be a Russian spy around every corner, to know so much and in such a detail.

And in the mean time, a tiny peaceful protest for Siberia to separate is considered terrorism within Russia.

[1] I am not making that up. That's actually being said on Russian news.
[2] did you guys know that?

silenced
x4

Post by silenced » Thu, 28. Aug 14, 10:35

There had been something really fun on Twitter recently.

https://twitter.com/CanadaNATO/status/5 ... 61/photo/1

Seriously Canada? trying to TEACH someone Geography but posting a picture that is totally WRONG?

Well, who discovers the big mistake the Canadians did?

Spoiler
Show
As far as I know -> Kaliningrad is still Russian ...
You should, by all means, not try to teach someone without getting your facts right. Canada, what was done here is shameful.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Chobittsu
x4

Post by Chobittsu » Thu, 28. Aug 14, 11:33

AkrionXxarr
x4

Post by AkrionXxarr » Thu, 28. Aug 14, 11:38

The map is neither correct nor incorrect. While Kaliningrad is indeed not listed as "Russia" it is also not listed as "Not Russia". Technically all the land in white exists in a state of limbo :roll:

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Thu, 28. Aug 14, 12:19

Well Silenced, whilst Kalingrad is technically a Russian exclave, it's also a city. No other cities are on that map.

I wouldn't make too much out of it, it certainly doesn't undermine the main point of the Canadian "map".
I can't breathe.

V2200
xr

Post by V2200 » Thu, 28. Aug 14, 14:59

fiksal
Cease to rave, please.

edit: added
Last edited by V2200 on Thu, 28. Aug 14, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Thu, 28. Aug 14, 15:02

ermm, he's not raving.
I can't breathe.

Return to “Off Topic English”