Just what is going on in the Ukraine? Including vote now, for politicians among us;)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

What should happen in the Ukraine?

Russia should be left to re - annex the Crimea, that's it.
17%
Russia should be allowed to annex most of eastern Ukraine.
2%
Russia should be allowed to annex the whole of the Ukraine.
5%
Crimea should be transformed into an independant state.
5%
Crimea should remain as part of Ukraine, but with increased autonomy.
15%
Crimea should reamain a part of the Ukraine, full stop.
14%
Nato should start to reinforce our eastern allies; lets have a new Cold War.
21%
Not bothered as long as we avoid nuclear war.
20%

Total votes: 84

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 29. Aug 14, 03:33

Dragoongfa wrote:
No that is when you stand up to them, because if you don't, then many more won't live to regret it. You stand up to bullies, you don't let them walk all over you, no matter how big they are.
Partial sarcasm:

Just make sure to increase your military spending for a few years, re institute the military conscription, create a secret police to monitor Russian expats and make plans to survive a real war where the enemy will aim to destroy your home.

What I mean to say is:

Sentimentality is well and good but in geopolitics of this scale you should be prepared to put your money, your blood and your way of life on the line of fire.
It doesn't matter, all said and done the west has no choice but to go to war with Russia, because if the reports are true, Russia now has no other choice itself now but to invade Europe. By sending it's troops into Ukraine, Russia has in all but words declared war on the rest of the world, and it cannot just sit back and give it's enemy's the opportunity to do just that, to allow them the opportunity to their re-enforce it's military. I said this was going to happen and so far it is happening, it is nearly the exact same as WW2. I also reiterate if you are Russian and you live outside Russia, you really need to start making plans for heading back to Russia, you really want to get your family back ASAP. It's not worth the risk sitting back and saying it's going to be all right, because it is looking less and less likely that it is going to be all right, it is more than likely we are looking at the start of WW3.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Fri, 29. Aug 14, 04:23

felter wrote:
Timsup2nothin wrote: When a country is as heavily armed as Russia it is really best not to threaten them.
No that is when you stand up to them, because if you don't, then many more won't live to regret it. You stand up to bullies, you don't let them walk all over you, no matter how big they are.
'Stand up to' is a whole lot different than 'threaten'. I'm all for standing up to bullies.

Who would a NATO base in Crimea threaten?
Who is threatened by the potential loss of supply of vital military equipment and material that has been imported from Ukraine for the past twenty years?
Who pointed out that such threats weren't acceptable?

Who tried to do it anyway and is now upset they are being stood up to?

You have a whole different view on who is doing the threatening and who is doing the standing up.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

notaterran
x3tc

Post by notaterran » Fri, 29. Aug 14, 04:46

Personally I'm glad that our president is afraid of Russia. If it had been McCain we'd be looking at massive deployments right now.
-Skinny women look good in clothes, fit women look good naked.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Fri, 29. Aug 14, 04:55

notaterran wrote:Personally I'm glad that our president is afraid of Russia. If it had been McCain we'd be looking at massive deployments right now.
I doubt it. If Putin had said 'these are strategic interests that we have to defend' McCain would have understood that and steered clear...besides, if McCain had been elected the continuation of Republican economic policies would have left us all reading by candlelight on our subsistence farms, if we survived. Americans wouldn't even know if Russia was still there, and vice versa.

Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

V2200
xr

Post by V2200 » Fri, 29. Aug 14, 07:01

Morkonan wrote:
[url=http://abcnews.go.com/International/rus ... d=25156827]
Home> International

... The prime minister of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic, Alexander Zakharchenko, told Russian TV that 3,000 to 4,000 Russian soldiers were supporting the rebels.
Volunteers, not soldiers.
felter wrote:It doesn't matter, all said and done the west has no choice but to go to war with Russia, because if the reports are true, Russia now has no other choice itself now but to invade Europe. By sending it's troops into Ukraine, Russia has in all but words declared war on the rest of the world, and it cannot just sit back and give it's enemy's the opportunity to do just that, to allow them the opportunity to their re-enforce it's military. I said this was going to happen and so far it is happening, it is nearly the exact same as WW2. I also reiterate if you are Russian and you live outside Russia, you really need to start making plans for heading back to Russia, you really want to get your family back ASAP. It's not worth the risk sitting back and saying it's going to be all right, because it is looking less and less likely that it is going to be all right, it is more than likely we are looking at the start of WW3.
What ravings [ external image ]

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Fri, 29. Aug 14, 07:16

V2200 wrote:
felter wrote:It doesn't matter, all said and done the west has no choice but to go to war with Russia, because if the reports are true, Russia now has no other choice itself now but to invade Europe. By sending it's troops into Ukraine, Russia has in all but words declared war on the rest of the world, and it cannot just sit back and give it's enemy's the opportunity to do just that, to allow them the opportunity to their re-enforce it's military. I said this was going to happen and so far it is happening, it is nearly the exact same as WW2. I also reiterate if you are Russian and you live outside Russia, you really need to start making plans for heading back to Russia, you really want to get your family back ASAP. It's not worth the risk sitting back and saying it's going to be all right, because it is looking less and less likely that it is going to be all right, it is more than likely we are looking at the start of WW3.
Ravings? That was mild. Not that I could call it what I think it is on this (or much of any other) forum.

Russia has declared war on the rest of the world? Even if they sent troops into Ukraine how does anyone conflate that with declaring war on the rest of the world?

Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Fri, 29. Aug 14, 07:41

Talking about volunteers, is that even legal? do the soldiers of a country have a right to "volunteer" and fight in some other country, I was under impression that if you are in the armed forces of any country they would not allow you to unnecessarily risk your life
"If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them"

lets pretend november 15 never happened

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Fri, 29. Aug 14, 08:16

Jumee wrote:Talking about volunteers, is that even legal? do the soldiers of a country have a right to "volunteer" and fight in some other country, I was under impression that if you are in the armed forces of any country they would not allow you to unnecessarily risk your life
They aren't Russian soldiers. They are only 'soldiers' when the separatists in Ukraine talk about them because they consider their 'rebel army' to be made up of 'soldiers'. If they were in the Russian army that would be different.

Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Olterin
xr

Post by Olterin » Fri, 29. Aug 14, 11:25

Timsup2nothin wrote:
Jumee wrote:Talking about volunteers, is that even legal? do the soldiers of a country have a right to "volunteer" and fight in some other country, I was under impression that if you are in the armed forces of any country they would not allow you to unnecessarily risk your life
They aren't Russian soldiers. They are only 'soldiers' when the separatists in Ukraine talk about them because they consider their 'rebel army' to be made up of 'soldiers'. If they were in the Russian army that would be different.
Please do explain the sudden upsurge of wounded and killed Russian soldiers that is slowly beginning to get reported, then? Suddenly dead on a military exercise? What?
"Do or do not, there is no try"
"My Other Overwhelming Mixed Assault Fleet is a Brigantine" -Seleucius, commenting on my ship naming scheme

Dragoongfa
x4

Post by Dragoongfa » Fri, 29. Aug 14, 11:56

This attrition is not uncommon, the mistreatment of Russian conscripts is par of the course for the Russian army. Casualties due to suicides and 'accidents' (i.e. murders) are frequent, then count the non existence of some basic safety precautions in live fire exercises.

It would be very simple to simply discharge any such volunteers with a bogus twist of the regulations. Mental Fatigue, physical accidents, honorary discharges due to good behavior. It would cover the Russians diplomatically and would still provide recently trained personnel for the rebels.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 29. Aug 14, 16:20

V2200 wrote:

I cant translate that. I think V2200 is agreeing with felter.

V2200
xr

Post by V2200 » Fri, 29. Aug 14, 18:52

No. Don't agree :roll:

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 29. Aug 14, 19:03

V2200 wrote:No. Don't agree :roll:
What dont you agree with exactly? Thought Russian thinks Ukraine is a Nazi Germany, why not attack it already, why wait and let them pickle in their Naziness?

V2200
xr

Post by V2200 » Fri, 29. Aug 14, 19:12

fiksal wrote:What dont you agree with exactly? Thought Russian thinks Ukraine is a Nazi Germany, why not attack it already, why wait and let them pickle in their Naziness?
It only your conjectures, not Russian thoughts :P

http://macedoniaonline.eu/content/view/25981/53/

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 29. Aug 14, 19:26

V2200 wrote:
fiksal wrote:What dont you agree with exactly? Thought Russian thinks Ukraine is a Nazi Germany, why not attack it already, why wait and let them pickle in their Naziness?
It only your conjectures, not Russian thoughts :P
I understand Russian TV just fine. Ukrainians are bad guys, as it's described. I have only repeated what's reported, though with my own sarcasm added. But that's free of charge.

I did see that one, most hilarious piece of reporting. Insulting to the victims of the flight, in my opinion.

I dont always advocate violence, but a few judo matches are in order with those so-called professors. To improve the moral.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Fri, 29. Aug 14, 19:50

Some of the comments have really strode into the realm of self-declaration of knowledge with very very little to back it up (translation - nothing, except their "knowledge").

Unfortunate situation developed/developing.

Wish the best outcome possible for the Ukraine people.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 29. Aug 14, 19:59

Yep.

Grim Lock
x4

Post by Grim Lock » Fri, 29. Aug 14, 20:34

fiksal wrote:
I did see that one, most hilarious piece of reporting. Insulting to the victims of the flight, in my opinion.

I dont always advocate violence, but a few judo matches are in order with those so-called professors. To improve the moral.
This letter hasn't been drafted nor signed by prof. Hamelink nor any other "prominent dutch intulectuals" it's a slightly modified version of an open letter that was drafted by a group of dutch political activists.
Megatron: "You don't scare me, you mechanical throwbacks!"
GrimLock: "Good Megatron, we love stupid enemies"

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 29. Aug 14, 20:35

Grim Lock wrote:
fiksal wrote:

This letter hasn't been drafted nor signed by prof. Hamelink nor any other "prominent dutch intulectuals" it's a slightly modified version of an open letter that was drafted by a group of dutch political activists.

Seriously? Has that been reported on somewhere?

Do I have to withdraw the judo challenge with the professor?... :)
No matter, just need to find the professor pretenders, and teach them about philosophy

Grim Lock
x4

Post by Grim Lock » Fri, 29. Aug 14, 20:38

http://ommekeer-nederland.nl/brief-met- ... ent-putin/

Original source

It's pretty much meant to be printed out and then signed and sent by anyone who wants to agree, but the site itself states very clearly that prof hamelink hasn't been involved.

These guys are pretty much against everything the dutch gov does btw.
Megatron: "You don't scare me, you mechanical throwbacks!"
GrimLock: "Good Megatron, we love stupid enemies"

Return to “Off Topic English”