Russia-Ukraine War

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

EGO_Aut
x4

Re: Russia-Ukraine War

Post by EGO_Aut » Sun, 20. Aug 23, 21:01

Such men belong at the front until the end has come. Russian women apparently have bigger nuts than men, no wonder they don't want to marry non-oligarchs.

I hope she is fine....

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 21. Aug 23, 15:12

EGO_Aut wrote:
Sun, 20. Aug 23, 21:01
Such men belong at the front until the end has come.
I would add, there shouldn't be a front for this man to be in.

What would he do if no one holds him back?
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Tue, 22. Aug 23, 19:14

Liberal leaning Washington Post, admits that the Ukraine counteroffensive has utterly failed and that the Ukrainian army is near collapse.
Thwarted by minefields, Ukrainian forces won’t reach the southeastern city of Melitopol, a vital Russian transit hub, according to a U.S. intelligence assessment

U.S. officials said the Pentagon recommended multiple times that Ukraine concentrate a large mass of forces on a single breakthrough point. Though Ukraine opted for a different strategy, officials said it was Kyiv’s call to make given the profound sacrifice Ukrainian troops were making on the battlefield.

Questions have also been raised about how Ukraine committed its forces and in which areas. The Ukrainians have for months poured tremendous resources into Bakhmut, including soldiers, ammunition and time, but they have lost control of the city and have made only modest gains in capturing territory around it.
Even hawkish Democrat's are starting (better late than never) to balk at continuing to fund a war that is returning modest results at best. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I say f..k the war and bring on the peacemakers.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 22. Aug 23, 19:47

Lets define "modest" by simple perspective:

In current best pace - Ukraine will make it to Azov Sea in 1 to 1.5 year.
In current best pace - Russia will take Eastern Ukraine, East of Dnieper in 10-15 years.

"Modest" snail pace vs "stunning" glacial pace.
Whenever Russia or Ukraine is on a brink of collapse is anybody guess.
Neither Ukraine has 1.5 year, nor Russia has 15 years.

I'ts only the US who can make a Desert Storm on the other side of globe, twice and be ready for a next one.

The only definitive answer is, that you won't make conscript into a soldier in 6 months, no matter, if NATO or Russia training and you definetly shouldn't expect them to do combined warfare blitz against fortified position.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Tue, 22. Aug 23, 21:45

Observe wrote:
Tue, 22. Aug 23, 19:14
Liberal leaning Washington Post, admits that the Ukraine counteroffensive has utterly failed and that the Ukrainian army is near collapse.
Thwarted by minefields, Ukrainian forces won’t reach the southeastern city of Melitopol, a vital Russian transit hub, according to a U.S. intelligence assessment

U.S. officials said the Pentagon recommended multiple times that Ukraine concentrate a large mass of forces on a single breakthrough point. Though Ukraine opted for a different strategy, officials said it was Kyiv’s call to make given the profound sacrifice Ukrainian troops were making on the battlefield.

Questions have also been raised about how Ukraine committed its forces and in which areas. The Ukrainians have for months poured tremendous resources into Bakhmut, including soldiers, ammunition and time, but they have lost control of the city and have made only modest gains in capturing territory around it.
Even hawkish Democrat's are starting (better late than never) to balk at continuing to fund a war that is returning modest results at best. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I say f..k the war and bring on the peacemakers.
Let's increase our military support 10 fold until Russia is utterly defeated and never again tries the stunt of invading their neighbors to enlarge their already oversized country.

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Tue, 22. Aug 23, 22:17

Observe wrote:
Tue, 22. Aug 23, 19:14

(...)

You can go back in this thread and find that I have often criticized those that assume that Kremlin is just bunch of clowns. That being said, I feel you are pushing hard in other direction, just as much as the users who in this thread were predicting UKR downfall in couple of weeks, then months and then last winter.

A ) The article does not state anywhere that Ukrainian army is near collapse.

B ) As someone who claimed to have been drafted for Vietnam, you should (?) be aware that wars have back and forth motion and are not nothing like represented in Hollywood movies where war go along a fixed trajectory towards a predictable goal, especially when the two armies are not dissimilar to each other in capability.

C) The projected attack axis for latest offensive have been known since January this year. Attacking along a well known (for your enemy) line of attack against well entrenched enemy with no air or artillery dominance is something that would be challenging for any army in the world.

Finally we in Europe have examples of ruinous peace treaties both in 30s and 90s of last century being so often preludes for next war that it is grotesque and totally morally perverted to pressure Ukrainians to sign a peace treaty and leave the coming next war with Kremlin for the coming generations.

PS: If UKR army is about to collapse as you write - Kremlin has no incentive to negotiate for peace so either way, war it is...

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 23. Aug 23, 19:20

This just in, Wagner boss Yevgeny Prigozhin has been killed in a plane crash in Russia, now I never saw that coming.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 23. Aug 23, 19:45

Oh no, what hapened, who could have imagine.

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Wed, 23. Aug 23, 19:48

felter wrote:
Wed, 23. Aug 23, 19:20
This just in, Wagner boss Yevgeny Prigozhin has been killed in a plane crash in Russia, now I never saw that coming.
Neither did I.

I totally expected him to fall out of a window or to fall down the stairs or commit suicide by shooting himself 16 times in the back....

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 23. Aug 23, 19:51

I'd like to think this was army revenge for those 6 helicopters and planes, but it was probably Putins' order.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 23. Aug 23, 20:52

Oh no. Anyways.

Prighozin should have not stopped on his way to Moscow. You don't halfway do a coup, then get cold feet and back down. Hopefully the next one to try goes all in and doesn't back down, because if he does, he will die like Prighozin.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Wed, 23. Aug 23, 21:07

It's a insignificant event I realize, but I still raise my glass for the death of the mass murderer.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... sia-wagner
Media channels linked to Wagner quickly suggested that a Russian air defence missile had shot down the plane.
Let the media paranoia commence and turn inward with conspiracies that are so well loved by us Russians.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 23. Aug 23, 21:12

What I don't understand is, why was Prighozin so quick to come back home to Russia? It would have been smarter for him to keep hanging out in the Sahel, doing what he does best, undermining legitimate African governments or supporting corrupt ones. At least there he could have been better guarded by his henchmen.

The take home message here is to never, never, never trust Vladimir Putin. I'm sure he used some convincing lie to lure Prighozin back so he could more easily take his revenge on him.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Wed, 23. Aug 23, 21:40

Falcrack wrote:
Wed, 23. Aug 23, 21:12
What I don't understand is, why was Prighozin so quick to come back home to Russia? It would have been smarter for him to keep hanging out in the Sahel, doing what he does best, undermining legitimate African governments or supporting corrupt ones. At least there he could have been better guarded by his henchmen.

The take home message here is to never, never, never trust Vladimir Putin. I'm sure he used some convincing lie to lure Prighozin back so he could more easily take his revenge on him.
Just like Putin doesnt know how to win a war, Prigozhin didnt know how to do a "coup". I am not gonna call them dumb outright, but none of these people around Putin are big thinkers. They spent more time in their delussional dreams of Russian superiority. So to ask why Prigozhin came back will be left without an answer I think.

Until of course he faked his own death, that'll be something.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 23. Aug 23, 21:41

There is video footage of the plane crash, wasn't what I was expecting as it looks like the plane just stopped and floated down to the ground, also looks like it was on fire as it came down, so it could have been hut by some kind of projectile, I bet the Russians will eventually blame it on Ukraine.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 23. Aug 23, 21:48

fiksal wrote:
Wed, 23. Aug 23, 21:40
Until of course he faked his own death, that'll be something.
That would be a best way to be safe from Putin, but I'm sure they will check the DNA of all the bodies.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 23. Aug 23, 22:09

felter wrote:
Wed, 23. Aug 23, 21:41
There is video footage of the plane crash, wasn't what I was expecting as it looks like the plane just stopped and floated down to the ground, also looks like it was on fire as it came down, so it could have been hut by some kind of projectile, I bet the Russians will eventually blame it on Ukraine.
Would be difficult to try to pin the blame on Ukraine for shooting it down considering it crashed North of Moscow.

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Wed, 23. Aug 23, 22:19

Falcrack wrote:
Wed, 23. Aug 23, 21:12
What I don't understand is, why was Prighozin so quick to come back home to Russia?
Well...this is ofc pure speculation on my part but whether he was really ever outside the Russia is open question.
None of the claims of his supposed travels inside Belarus or Africa came from trusted sources - while on on other hand Kremlin has "lot" to gain by spreading disinformation of his whereabouts until they got their house in order.

But as I said - this is just a speculation - I am no Kremlin expert.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Wed, 23. Aug 23, 23:26

mr.WHO wrote:
Wed, 23. Aug 23, 19:45
Oh no, what hapened, who could have imagine.
I'm as surprised as you are :mrgreen:

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Wed, 23. Aug 23, 23:37

mr.WHO wrote:
Wed, 23. Aug 23, 19:51
I'd like to think this was army revenge for those 6 helicopters and planes, but it was probably Putins' order.
I imagine someone who'd be scared utterly witless if the army did it off their own choice... would be Putin :D

Return to “Off Topic English”