I need a new game...

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Khaak_Hammer
x2

Post by Khaak_Hammer » Wed, 27. Sep 06, 15:39

prehaps Age Od Empires?

(kept me happy for a good 5 years!)

Augustini
x4

Post by Augustini » Wed, 27. Sep 06, 15:42

Merroc wrote:And for learning english by playing games. I can talk with that . I was playing Dune 2 at like age 7-8ish, waaay before we even had english in school.
What?? You're younger than me then !?

As for Empire building games... I can recommend.... X !

Sorry couldn't resist :P

Seriously good empire building games are hard to come by! AFAIK there is nothing released within the last few years worth mentioning !

Well of course, you could always play the Sims 2 or Sim City 4... although i personally can't keep focused on those games for more than 30 min. !

Merroc
x3tc

Post by Merroc » Wed, 27. Sep 06, 15:48

Heh yeah, i feared that X was just about the only one ;)
As for my age, 20 at the time of writing.

And everything i produce in the sims 1 is.... unsocial, unhealty, unorganized, unable to get up at times they should human wrecks ;). I can only imagine the Sims 2 being worse :P.

@Khaak_Hammer if you read my first post you would have noticed that im not looking for an RTS:
Im searching for a new decent game to play... And not your average FPS/RTS
Now i know AoE is a pretty good series, 2 being the best, and 3 being the worst. But not what i want to play now...

I might get another EVE trial in a couple days, when i have time to play ;).

oh edit: looked into Mage knight, watched a couple movies and it felt kind of lame... :\

The Wolf
x3tc

Post by The Wolf » Wed, 27. Sep 06, 16:07

Merroc wrote:@All I see a lot of RPG suggestions, any empire building games? Preferably open ended (like X3, conquer the planet kind of stuff). Also please note that im an economic student, im very critical when it comes to economic models :P. To me, the X3 one is too arcade like ;).
Caesar IV:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/cae ... caesar%204
Release date was the September 26

Although not out yet, Sid Meier's Railroads!
I'm looking forward to it, i've always liked the railroad tycoon series. Scheduled to come out on October 16.

Space empires V:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/spa ... e=previews
Should be out by Oct. 5

Other than those, i'm not really sure what else there is out there.

Exekutor
x2

Post by Exekutor » Wed, 27. Sep 06, 16:11

The closest recent game getting even close to empire building is Galactic Civilizations 2, but its turn based strategy. Picking a race, colonising planets, kicking alien asses with own designed ships etc. I got bored after some days, like with X3 ( just got it and played for about 22h and already bored ...)

Edit: forgot a link: http://galciv2.com/
Ich bin nicht nur gekommen um dich zu sehen.
Ich hatte etwas Radikaleres im Sinn.
Kill a man and you're a murderer. Kill many and you're a hero. Kill them all and you're a conqueror.

Dioltas As Dia
x3

Post by Dioltas As Dia » Wed, 27. Sep 06, 16:38

Suppose you could try Startopia, its a build-up game in the style of SimCity (not as massive in-scale) or (more directly similar) to Dungeon Keeper games. Basically the premise is to build a tourist-type space station for a range of funky-aliens (like Kamarama Farmers, Zedem Monks or the Greys) using an assortment of rooms/buildings such as a Dine-o-Mat, Lavatron, Disco, Love Nest, Rough Bar, Lab, Sick Bay etc. as well as the versatile Biodeck (which is essentially land that can be manipulated with heights, water, temperature etc.). Though there is combat (and not very well thought out combat) it is good for a lark and some "decent" graphics (2001).

Its nice to zoom in on some of the aliens where it'll give you a biography about them (including the funny "Criminal Record: Bad Poetry, Blowing up a Planet"...etc. and other humourous content).

Merroc
x3tc

Post by Merroc » Wed, 27. Sep 06, 16:52

Exekutor wrote:The closest recent game getting even close to empire building is Galactic Civilizations 2, but its turn based strategy. Picking a race, colonising planets, kicking alien asses with own designed ships etc. I got bored after some days, like with X3 ( just got it and played for about 22h and already bored ...)

Edit: forgot a link: http://galciv2.com/
Its a good game, i know. I played it a lot too. But i dont feel like installing it again. Its better than AC and Civ imho. But problem with these games, after a while my pc gets slower and slower, ruining the game expirience. And smaller maps (which have that problem less) are (too) short and less fun.

Maybe i should just try and get back into X3... see whats new (havent even downloaded the bonus pack yet), etc.. kill some more argons. Finaly get that 2nd factory, etc... ;)

BTW so far on my wish list...:
Test Drive unlimited (24 oct)
NWN 2 (31 oct)
UT 2007 (Q1 2007)
ET: Quake Wars (Q1 2007)
Spore (Q3 2007)
But i fear for UT2k7... my pc melts with just showing the specs needed..

mattstint
x4

Post by mattstint » Wed, 27. Sep 06, 17:22

Nobody mentioned Heroes of Might and Magic V?

Amazon sells a special edition with all the games up to version 5.

Heroes involves a lot of building, it is however turn-based, so I don't know how that might appeal to you Mr Merroc.
fud wrote:This place is a utopian oasis on the s**t sea that is the internet, and for that, I'm grateful. :)

Merroc
x3tc

Post by Merroc » Wed, 27. Sep 06, 17:49

Im fine with turn based (though Real Time is more fun usually). Problem with Homm5 is that its a bit slow on my machine. I can (and have) play(ed) it though. Its quite fun, but samish to every previous homm version (which ive played quite a lot).

What matters a lot atm is that its continues, open ended, like X3. Where you can play the same game/empire 'forever'. Most if not all suggestions are not open ended and have an ending after which you can start over again. I know this is more usually found in MMO/browser games though...

mattstint
x4

Post by mattstint » Wed, 27. Sep 06, 18:21

OK this gives me hope for the future of gaming again! I'm sceptical about it as it's on the 360 as well, could turn out to be another Oblivion.

Unfortunately never ending single player games are ten-a-penny.

Methinks PC gaming has gone a bit stale recently, I'm hoping the Wii will rekindle the joy in gaming that i got when I were a wee whipper snapper :D
fud wrote:This place is a utopian oasis on the s**t sea that is the internet, and for that, I'm grateful. :)

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Thu, 28. Sep 06, 08:49

http://forum2.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

The last thread from me on the same topic with a large list of 2-3 year old games and comments!

If you are looking for something new, easy answer stop, there is nothing!

Vampire Bloodlines in the reviews ignore comments on bugs and it was marked down for buggy release. The unofficial patch's made over the last 2 years have fixed all the issues.

MAX PAYNE 2?
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Thu, 28. Sep 06, 10:07

^ max payne 2, wonderfull game. Wonderfull voice acting, scripts, environments, weapons, music, cutscenes.

A masterpiece from start to finish, and watching Shaft (sorry, Dick Justice) on TV is good too, along with "My Lord! My Lady! My Lord!" etc.

I love firing my rifle, hitting bullet-time and listening to the gunfire slow down, then leaing bullet-time, and listening to the gunfire slowley speed up back to normal. Brings back such happy memories.

And running around unarmed in the hospital, desperetly trying to find a weapon as they chase you.

Also Bioshock mentioned, this looks nice.

I've also heard that the rights to System Shock have just lapsed or been purchased or some such, and they are ACTUALLY making System Shock 3. (I've heard it is EA and/or Warren Spector, so who knows?)
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Thu, 28. Sep 06, 12:57

Jericho wrote:^ max payne 2, wonderfull game. Wonderfull voice acting, scripts, environments, weapons, music, cutscenes.
- oh yess indeedie..
- both Max Payne games are brilliant stories..
- really well put together, and the atmosphere is excellent..
- everyone should have both games in their collection

10/10 for both.. 8)
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Thu, 28. Sep 06, 13:47

For those interested.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/vtmb/dow ... de=patches

This is the community Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Patch 2.9 this goes ontop of the official patch 1.2 found at the bottom of the same page.

FyreByrd
x3tc

Post by FyreByrd » Thu, 28. Sep 06, 15:07

There's always spellforce! (and the second one as well although not played it!)

Kinda rpg/rts hybrid a lot of fun, a bit weird in places and not something u pick up and play...other than that if you want empire building civ 1 the only.

I'm very sad still ahve a computer that's dedicated to elite 1 (the only real elite) and civ 1.

Cheers

FyreByrd

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Thu, 28. Sep 06, 17:02

BBC B?? Was not that the original Elite? I've played it on that, although it did not have the mission to go out and destroy the ship that can only be hurt with military lazers, that came in on the C64 and of course the Generation Ship missions from the central systems.

FyreByrd
x3tc

Post by FyreByrd » Fri, 29. Sep 06, 13:43

I used to have a BBC micro which handled it!!

unfortunatly i think time did for that thing

so now it's a very very very very old Amstrad PC (i.e. pre 386.486 era!) comes compelte with 5 1/2 inch disk drive and no sign of windows bliss!!

cheers

FyreByrd

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Fri, 29. Sep 06, 14:53

I wonder if Elite can be modded??

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Fri, 29. Sep 06, 14:56

FyreByrd
x3tc

Post by FyreByrd » Fri, 29. Sep 06, 16:58

elite can be modded - however you need a decent knowledge of how to hex edit files and then it's only things like a few ship details that you can change (boo!) had some stuff ages ago that i could do it with (supercharged fer-de-lance's were a right b*gg*r!)

Sorry i'l lstop hijacking this thread now!!

Cheers

FyreByrd

Return to “Off Topic English”