I need a new game...

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Merroc
x3tc

I need a new game...

Post by Merroc » Wed, 27. Sep 06, 11:55

Im searching for a new decent game to play... And not your average FPS/RTS

I was looking for something like X3 meets gothic. RPG elements and Economic/empire/simulation elements.
I looked into Project Entropia, but i heard a lot of crappy things about it, and you appear to be unable to make money without putting real life money in it. Also The Guild 2 looks interesting in this aspect. However, its not released yet...

Anyone able to help me?
If not, any recent decent RPGs out there, like NWN2 (nearly there nearly there!)

Augustini
x4

Post by Augustini » Wed, 27. Sep 06, 11:58

You're not leaving us.... are you ?

Da_Junka
x3tc

Post by Da_Junka » Wed, 27. Sep 06, 12:34

How’s about Oblivion.
~Intel i5 2500K ~ Nvidia GTX 670 ~ Z77 chipset ~ 16 gig Vengence ~Win 7 64bit ~

Dioltas As Dia
x3

Post by Dioltas As Dia » Wed, 27. Sep 06, 12:49

That all depends on what type of RPG your looking for (being a rpg fanbuff myself, /shines glasses proudly)

Western or Eastern style?

If your going eastern, i'd take a look at the Final Fantasy games (particularly 7/VII). Im sure you can pick it up at a bargain bin somewhere cheaply enough.

As for the Western style, as has been said Oblivion (if your pc can handle it) is a nice candidate. Dont forget though (seeing your a NWN fan) the classics, Baldurs Gate 2: Shadows of Amn and its expansion Throne of Bhaal were legendary epics that is well worth the shelf space. Also Planescape: Torment is another great game that is still referred to today. I suppose if your into Star Wars you could always get the Knights of the Old Republic (1 or 2), but i personally recommend the others.

All could be picked up rather cheaply i'd say

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Wed, 27. Sep 06, 12:54

I just picked up Knights of the old Republic through a thread like this, although retro'ish it looks good and plays very well, I am totally lost in it at the moment and playing two character sets side by side as playing light or dark side really gives you a different game.

I have read up on part II and it looks good too, some marked it down for being similar to one but since all the patch's are out and the hype gone I think it is well worth it.

No bargain bins for these two, both have held their price and expect to pay 30 Euros, but still well worth it.
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Wed, 27. Sep 06, 12:58

RE KotOR2, might be worth waiting until the next unoffical patch is released (the lin has been posted here about 2gazillion times, but this is my new work laptop and I don'thave it in my favourites yet). As to when that patch will be is unknown (they are rebuilding the game and puttiing in all the stuff that was unfished).

I love Kotor 1, and I loved Oblivion for the first few hours. The thought of replaying Oblivion is a little overwhelming. The best part of the game for me is escaping that start dungeon, and finding out what sort of character it is you are building. I find it amazing that there are so many mods out there that allow you to bypass this stage. It is a vital part of the game to discover if your character is going to be fun or not.
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

Antilogic
x3tc

Re: I need a new game...

Post by Antilogic » Wed, 27. Sep 06, 13:04

Merroc wrote:Im searching for a new decent game to play... And not your average FPS/RTS

I was looking for something like X3 meets gothic. RPG elements and Economic/empire/simulation elements.
I looked into Project Entropia, but i heard a lot of crappy things about it, and you appear to be unable to make money without putting real life money in it. Also The Guild 2 looks interesting in this aspect. However, its not released yet...

Anyone able to help me?
If not, any recent decent RPGs out there, like NWN2 (nearly there nearly there!)
Eve Online if you want multiplayer.., or homeworld 2 :P

Augustini
x4

Post by Augustini » Wed, 27. Sep 06, 13:06

KoTOR 1 is a good game to get involved in. It also has a fairly good replay value. I played through it 4 times when i got it!

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Wed, 27. Sep 06, 13:19

..how about Dungeon Siege 2 and the Broken World expansion..

- it's a very absorbing game, to say the least..!! 8)
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

xeon_1
x4

Post by xeon_1 » Wed, 27. Sep 06, 13:19

you could try vampire the masqurade bloodlines
good game but a bit buggy at times

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Wed, 27. Sep 06, 13:23

Jericho wrote:RE KotOR2, might be worth waiting until the next unoffical patch is released (the lin has been posted here about 2gazillion times, but this is my new work laptop and I don'thave it in my favourites yet). As to when that patch will be is unknown (they are rebuilding the game and puttiing in all the stuff that was unfished).

I love Kotor 1, and I loved Oblivion for the first few hours. The thought of replaying Oblivion is a little overwhelming. The best part of the game for me is escaping that start dungeon, and finding out what sort of character it is you are building. I find it amazing that there are so many mods out there that allow you to bypass this stage. It is a vital part of the game to discover if your character is going to be fun or not.
http://www.team-gizka.org/wip.html

And Vampire the M, Bloodlines has a new unofficial fan patch that was released 2 weeks ago. This is from a series of patch's for the game and is of a very high quality.
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

xeon_1
x4

Post by xeon_1 » Wed, 27. Sep 06, 13:26

muppetts wrote:
Jericho wrote:RE KotOR2, might be worth waiting until the next unoffical patch is released (the lin has been posted here about 2gazillion times, but this is my new work laptop and I don'thave it in my favourites yet). As to when that patch will be is unknown (they are rebuilding the game and puttiing in all the stuff that was unfished).

http://www.team-gizka.org/wip.html

And Vampire the M, Bloodlines has a new unofficial fan patch that was released 2 weeks ago. This is from a series of patch's for the game and is of a very high quality.
good to know
will give it a go as i am currently bored to hell with current games

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Wed, 27. Sep 06, 13:33

Yup, I love Bloodlines too. It creates a great atmosphere. Don't treat it like an FPS though, Forget about guns, go for unarmed or melee (there is something great about beating people around the head with a fire axe or sledge hammer).

I've played it through a number of times with different clans. Currently a Malkavian, and boy does she speak funny. Once I've finished, I plan to try a Nosferatu, although I suspect I will be unable to get most of the side-quests as people don't seem to want a rotting corpse of a monster in their homes.
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

The Wolf
x3tc

Post by The Wolf » Wed, 27. Sep 06, 15:12

Though you might consider it too old (11/11/02), what about Arx fatalis?
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/arxfatal ... %20fatalis

New one supposedly out today called mage knight apocalypse:
http://mageknight.namco.com/

Titan Quest:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/titanquest/review.html

Fable: The lost chapters:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/fablethe ... ml?q=fable

Off topic, and speaking of retro gaming:
Kings quest collection
Leisure suit larry collection
Space Quest collection
Police quest collection
Can it be true? will I be able to relive the 80's/90's? :o :D

Augustini
x4

Post by Augustini » Wed, 27. Sep 06, 15:18

The Wolf wrote:Off topic, and speaking of retro gaming:
Kings quest collection
Leisure suit larry collection
Space Quest collection
Police quest collection
Can it be true? will I be able to relive the 80's/90's? :o :D
Oh the good old days, how i miss them so... If you know just how much time i spent playing Police Quest 1 when i was 8 years old... Learning myself English so i would be able to understand it.... Those were the days indeed!

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Wed, 27. Sep 06, 15:20

Augustini wrote: Learning myself English
he he he :twisted:

Merroc
x3tc

Post by Merroc » Wed, 27. Sep 06, 15:21

Wow. more replies than i thought i would get...
Lets see...
re. Oblivion: bah, how dare you bring that up! 1) Morrowind was better and 2) im not into that kind of rpg strangely. Something is very unappealing about the whole elder scrolls series

re. Kotor: Played number 1. Mixed feelings about it. It was nice, but not great. Never played number 2.

re. D&D games: NWN was defenatly the best, partly because you didnt have a party (im not a "control a party of more than 2 characters" rpg type player ;)). partly probably because it had better graphics :P and 'different' setting. Great game NWN. BG2 was also pretty good though. Especially with this mod we (me and my brother) had, which made it harder, much harder.

re. DS 1 and 2: they pale in light of Diablo 2. nuff said (and i play(ed) Diablo 2 to death). Same with 9 out of 10 other hack and slash RPGs, like Titan Quest... (although this one had a nice character building process).

re. Vampires: never played any of these... not totaly sure aobut it. might go read some reviews about them...

re. Eve: I have played a trial in the past, was considering getting another x days trial. But im not sure, i didnt really liked it that much (i just stopped playing after 2 days while i couldnt play it anyway). Also the fact of paying monthly isnt really appealing ;). Also in MMO games (as has been proven countless times in browsergames, WoW, etc. other players CAN and WILL ruin your gameplay).

re. Homeworld 2: I played a demo of HW2 in the past. Its too much RTS for my current taste ;).

@Dioltas As Dia: im not a big fan of FF. So western suits me more. However, im REALLY picky (as you might have noticed by now ;), or im just disappointed in todays games). But it really depends on the game itself :)

@Augustini not a single chance :P. Besides, im not playing X3 now either. While its the game that matches closest to what i want :S (i guess betatesting took its toll...)

@All I see a lot of RPG suggestions, any empire building games? Preferably open ended (like X3, conquer the planet kind of stuff). Also please note that im an economic student, im very critical when it comes to economic models :P. To me, the X3 one is too arcade like ;).

Augustini
x4

Post by Augustini » Wed, 27. Sep 06, 15:22

Just so you know... Learning English when your native language is Danish and you're only 8 years old aint easy !

The added benefit from this was that i were miles ahead of my classmates in the English leasons later on!

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Wed, 27. Sep 06, 15:25

Augustini wrote:Just so you know... Learning English when your native language is Danish and you're only 8 years old aint easy !

The added benefit from this was that i were miles ahead of my classmates in the English leasons later on!
I know I know. It was an evil laugh (hence the smiley) ;) :D

It was just a very ironic moment :D

I only speak English, so I can't really comment (Although I do understand a lot of german, french and latin, just can't speak them).

Do C, C++, Java, XML, and Maths count as languages? (or is that cheating?)

Merroc
x3tc

Post by Merroc » Wed, 27. Sep 06, 15:30

Posting faster than i can reply :P

@The Wolf:
I vaguely remember Arx Fatalis as being a title, never played it. Will give it a glance
Never heard of mage knight, will give that a look too.
Already commented on Titan Quest, and Fable was like... uhh... lets say not my taste ;)
As for the clasiscs. I know clasics are filled to the rim with gameplay. However, I was looking for something more.... recent. Im not saying i NEED ultra state of the art graphics. But some sort of beauty would be appriciated ;).

And for learning english by playing games. I can talk with that :D. I was playing Dune 2 at like age 7-8ish, waaay before we even had english in school. Also a couple other games. Gives one a big boost in learning the language.

Return to “Off Topic English”