North Korea Nuclear Test

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

kethalpak
x3

North Korea Nuclear Test

Post by kethalpak » Mon, 9. Oct 06, 05:50

Link

North Korea actually went through with it! How stupid can they be? They claim that a US threat of nuclear war has forced their hand. Didnt they even consider what the rest of the world would think? South Korea and Japan will be very peeved. I wont be suprised if some sort of military action is undertaken. I expect all financial ties with North Korea will be severed by japan, south korea, the US and who ever else deals with north korea. I expect the UN to be peeved to, economic sancions anyone?

[/rant]

Edit: Histoy of North Korea for those interested
Last edited by kethalpak on Mon, 9. Oct 06, 06:48, edited 1 time in total.
[ external image ] [ external image ]
The cake is a lie, but the cube is forever!

yeebok
x3

I won't suggest

Post by yeebok » Mon, 9. Oct 06, 06:20

That perhaps someone pushed someone just to make them jump .. they need a new bad guy around now, and may as well point the finger at someone else.
Setup: Quad Q9550/2.8Ghz, 4Gb low latency RAM, 8800GTX/768, 24"widescreen 5x500Gb SATA2s, Win7.

kethalpak
x3

Post by kethalpak » Mon, 9. Oct 06, 06:43

But someone who is confirmed to have nukes? and someone as unstable as Kim Jong Ill (sp?).

yeebok
x3

Valid point however ..

Post by yeebok » Mon, 9. Oct 06, 06:59

Wasn't the last bad guy equipped with something just as bad / worse .. and working on them as well. That was all confirmed too .. :)
Setup: Quad Q9550/2.8Ghz, 4Gb low latency RAM, 8800GTX/768, 24"widescreen 5x500Gb SATA2s, Win7.

Apothos
x3tc

Post by Apothos » Mon, 9. Oct 06, 07:04

Economic sanctions will have no effect at all given the state of the country at the moment, and the fact (if confirmed) that they have nuclear weapons means there will be no military action - not that China would allow that anyway.

All that will happen is people will say "oh no, they detonated a nuclear bomb," followed by some politcal rhetoric and then we'll all get on with our lives. It's no big deal, really - they've probably had this particular device in the cupboard under the stairs for months, and they didn't bomb anyone with it.

It's no different from Israel having nuclear weapons, in my opinion, apart from the fact N. Korea developed theirs themselves for the most part. Let's just hope "the west" doesn't arm S. Korea in a similar way.

Apothos
x3tc

Post by Apothos » Mon, 9. Oct 06, 07:07

kethalpak wrote:But someone who is confirmed to have nukes? and someone as unstable as Kim Jong Ill (sp?).
Why do you say he's unstable? A power-hungry, die-hard communist, yes, but i've yet to see anything other than Team America that proves he's unstable.

kethalpak
x3

Post by kethalpak » Mon, 9. Oct 06, 07:58

Apothos wrote:
kethalpak wrote:But someone who is confirmed to have nukes? and someone as unstable as Kim Jong Ill (sp?).
Why do you say he's unstable? A power-hungry, die-hard communist, yes, but i've yet to see anything other than Team America that proves he's unstable.
Lol, here is something that helped to convince me he is unstable:
BBC wrote:The analysis of him as a mercurial fantasist is certainly beguiling.

He is said to have a library of 20,000 Hollywood movies and to have even written a book on the cinema. He even went so far as to engineer the kidnapping, in 1978, of a South Korean film director and his girlfriend.
Heres the article that convinced me he is unstable: Link

Edit: Fixed quotes
Edit 2: Quotes from world leaders on N. Koreas Nuclear tests
Edit 3: Fixed above link to work (damn BBCode)
Last edited by kethalpak on Mon, 9. Oct 06, 08:38, edited 3 times in total.

Apothos
x3tc

Post by Apothos » Mon, 9. Oct 06, 08:08

Fair enough, i would also consider that "unstable" in an over the top stalker-ish kind of fashion - it's a far cry from bombing another country though.

I'd be more worried about leaders who have nuclear weapons who claim to have been spoken to by their invisible friend called god.

thetack
x3tc

Post by thetack » Mon, 9. Oct 06, 08:37

o goody mushrooms

who else has them do you think

kethalpak
x3

Post by kethalpak » Mon, 9. Oct 06, 08:44

Apothos wrote:Fair enough, i would also consider that "unstable" in an over the top stalker-ish kind of fashion - it's a far cry from bombing another country though.
I see your point on that. I belive though that someone who puts pride in front of his nations wellbeing isn't acting in his countries best interest.
Apothos wrote: I'd be more worried about leaders who have nuclear weapons who claim to have been spoken to by their invisible friend called god.
At least he can be voted out at the next election.

I hope S. Korea and Japan do not decide to build nukes in an east asian arms race.

froglet
x3

Post by froglet » Mon, 9. Oct 06, 09:12

I think its military action from China that is just as likely. They are exremely angry about this..
Last edited by froglet on Mon, 9. Oct 06, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.
Lots of electrical bits, all together in a box.

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Mon, 9. Oct 06, 09:19

I don't see Japan building nuclear weapons as a result. Whilst they certainly could do so in a relatively short space of time, they are strongly opposed to them and prefer to concentrate efforts on disarming others. Almost certainly something to do with being the only large scale victims of a nuclear attack.
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

amihnow
x3

Post by amihnow » Mon, 9. Oct 06, 09:22

watch the movie "on the beach" and you will see just how scary the idea of full scale nuclear war is

Unkillable Cat
x3tc

Post by Unkillable Cat » Mon, 9. Oct 06, 13:14

Anyone else think it amusing that the only country to have ever deployed a nuclear weapon, over a CIVILIAN target, not once, but twice, is also the country that trys to prevent countries that may use them from having them?

Tsar_of_Cows
x4

Post by Tsar_of_Cows » Mon, 9. Oct 06, 13:37

I doubt any Western military action will come of this for two reasons:

1: China wants to do the 'USSR Thing' and have N. Korea as a satellite state. They won't let anyone else near N. Korea. Most likely they will be sending officials round to Kim Jong Il's doorstep telling him exactly what he's going to do or the big boy will come knocking demanding his lunch money.

2: No offense to the North Koreans, but there is sweet F. all up there that we need. Its a failing state where there's no oil (they get that from China) no coal, (they get that from China), no gas (From China), no food (ditto); they get everything from China, so we have no reason to go in and kick their ass - our corperations don't want to operate in N. Korea!

However it is somewhere that I really do wish we'd take military action against - the people there live in isolation from the rest of the world, under the thumb of a totalitarian regime and have (in the past atleast, I don't think anyone really knows whats going on at the moment) been starving to death at times.

It isnt going to happen though. America will do it's little war dance, but the Pacific is the domain of a different Bully - the People's Republic of China, and neither the USA or China want to confront each other about anything I don't think. They just want to get on with bullying the states around them into submission.

MGA
x2

Post by MGA » Mon, 9. Oct 06, 13:41

I never liked Korea anyway. Daewoo, Kia, Hyundai. Some of the worst car brands imaginable came from there. At least from the south. Hyundai is an exception because they have the coupe.
stereophobia wrote:Anyone else think it amusing that the only country to have ever deployed a nuclear weapon, over a CIVILIAN target, not once, but twice, is also the country that trys to prevent countries that may use them from having them?
It is a bit of a joke if you ask me.
A new rig is in my hands now if only there was time...

Tsar_of_Cows
x4

Post by Tsar_of_Cows » Mon, 9. Oct 06, 13:49

stereophobia wrote:Anyone else think it amusing that the only country to have ever deployed a nuclear weapon, over a CIVILIAN target, not once, but twice, is also the country that trys to prevent countries that may use them from having them?
Well yeah, they are afterall, the ultimate war deterrant. If the person you want to smack about has nukes, then you can't attack him without doing some sort of incredible, mind-numbingly brilliant covert attack everywhere at once, or he'll simply nuke you when you start to win.

Now, if you have a wopping great army (the best equipped in the world [USA] or the biggest [China]), you want to be able to use that as a tool. You can't use it as a tool when the people you want to intimidate have nukes, because they know that you know that they know that you can't attack them or they'll nuke you, you'll nuke them, and it'll be a bloody miserable time all round.

That's why we can't have World Wars anymore, which is really a damn shame IMHO, a good old fashioned brawl would really clear the air and take care of a few regimes that have needed to be change for a long time (Iran, Isreal, USA...). An unpleasent offshoot of this lack of war is that we have social problems due to all the uneducated, unwashed masses hanging about on street corners mugging old ladys and wearing burberry instead of being handed a rifle (or ammo) and told to go die for their country (a remarkable improvement).

I've made this arguement before, but I love telling everyone what I think and pointing out I've said it before, so i'll say it again in as pompus fashion as possible:

Nuclear weapons are bad because they prevent World Wars, and if we can't have world wars then politics just becomes all about blowing hot air at one another, and we start getting overcrowding issues because all the expendable people who would otherwise be conscripted just end up just having lots of kids and living on benefits.

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Mon, 9. Oct 06, 13:58

Would you be at the front of the line to volunteer when the next World War starts, if you like them so much?

thetack
x3tc

Post by thetack » Mon, 9. Oct 06, 14:15

abyss have you read dragon by clive cussler ,in which a large japanese corporation develops nuclear bombs to terrorise america.
who says japan may not have there own bomb just in case.

still it would save the uk prison problems out of jail into uniform out to korea to fight

no doubt someone in the n korean leadership will take over the leadership, helped by china when the current one has a narsty accident.

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Mon, 9. Oct 06, 14:18

thetack wrote:abyss have you read dragon by clive cussler ,in which a large japanese corporation develops nuclear bombs to terrorise america.
who says japan may not have there own bomb just in case.

still it would save the uk prison problems out of jail into uniform out to korea to fight

no doubt someone in the n korean leadership will take over the leadership, helped by china when the current one has a narsty accident.
Some 2nd rate fiction really has no bearing on the current situation.

Conscription ended quite a long time ago in the UK.

Return to “Off Topic English”