win 7 64 bit bsod Please help urgent

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sun, 22. May 16, 19:09

if you have it isn't on that drive.

It really depends on what you're trying to acheive.
If its a file restore then it seems you may be out of luck. If you want to just get your pc working, and you want windows 10, then get your windows key and go here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/softwar ... ndows10ISO

and go through the steps to make a usb installer.

In the past, when Windows has messed up I've always just gone for the fresh install solution, it ends up faster.

I'd also think about getting a drive dock. I have one that can clone a drive, it makes keeping rolling backups trivial. Also I no longer keep any important files or media on any of my computers exclusively.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BUUBF5S

it's not a NAS, but mine is connected to an Apple Airport, which effetivelly makes it one.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Free Trade Inn
x3tc

Post by Free Trade Inn » Sun, 22. May 16, 19:43

^ Just to clarify.
My pc works but I am trying to get it back to the way it was ie. steam game platform being where it should be.

FTI
You can be cool, or you can be nasty, but as soon as you are one, you are not the other.
FTI

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 22. May 16, 20:22

... but that is exactly what a restore point does and Windows would have automatically created one just before you started the update where the power failed. Tracker001 gave you a link to a guide on how to use restore points to recover and generally safeguard your system. It would have been fairly easy to recover your old set up just as it was back then using restore - ie before you changed anything/everything else.

I don't really understand why you felt the need for a fresh OS install. I think that those here who may have advised doing it thought that you were trying to action your update to Win10 at the time. Your OP is not very clear on that but I don't think you are/were.

I expect that doing the new OS install has now wiped all your previous restore points so you might have to sort out all the transitional changes yourself now. Let us know how we can help you further by detailing exactly what you want to do now.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 22. May 16, 21:15

Free Trade Inn wrote:^ Just to clarify.
My pc works but I am trying to get it back to the way it was ie. steam game platform being where it should be.

FTI
You're causing yourself more headaches than necessary. You "should" have just reverted to a System Restore point and then let Windows proceed to update itself normally. But, instead, you reinstalled Windows.

That's OK, no harm done. But, you're going to have to reinstall Steam, now, and whatever games you want installed. That is not an avoidable situation because many of the games you likely have are going to have to register with the new OS install you will currently be running, else you'll continue to get those errors like the one you posted, earlier.

I don't know where your Steam game platform "should be." It should install itself within your bootable OS's root Programs(86) directory, by default, since it's not a 64 bit app. (If you have a 32 bit version of windows, it'll just be under "Programs", of course.)

Download a new Steam client, reinstall it, login with your old credentials, install whatever games you wish, test copy/pasting any old saved games you wish, reinstall from scratch to the new game installs any mods that are necessary. Done.

If you're worried about what driver letter you're booting from, like if you've changed the OS installation to drive D and your bootable partition was on drive C, then... oh well. Depending upon how your controller indexes drives, that shouldn't be an issue. If you're getting "multi-boot" prompts, then once you get everything up and running well, just delete your old Windows installation. (Windows.old) If you can't, there are several utility programs available that will help you get through the complicated permissions issues surrounding deleting an old OS. (I had that issue and there's a thread I started around here, somewhere, with very helpful commentary for manually accomplishing it.)
Alan Phipps wrote:...I expect that doing the new OS install has now wiped all your previous restore points so you might have to sort out all the transitional changes yourself now...
If the hidden "System Volume" folder location is still stored/referenced within the Windows.old directory structure, booting from that Windows install may allow the user to use an old system restore point with the old values. (I don't know that high-level "reinstall" completely wipes the hidden restore folder. A low-level format surely would, but that's not what was done and I'm not techie enough to know the rest. :) )

Info on hidden volume: http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-resto ... tored.html

OR, the "reinstall" may have created a new system restore point that would allow reversion. I can't remember what dialogue sections are available and don't know, after all, how the OP went about reinstalling their OS.

OP - The point is that it may be possible to still access old System Restore points or to revert your system, entirely, from the new OS install, depending upon exactly how you installed your new OS. If you can boot from the old OS, you may want to try that and then choose the system restore that was created before Windows started trying to update, which caused the mess in the first place. You might even be able to find a System Restore created when you reinstalled your OS that will revert you back to the previous state, which you will then have to safe-boot into in order to gain access to the System Restore from before the Windows update.

At this point, I'd just wipe the whole darn thing and start over, honestly, if all you're worried about is your Steam stuff. If you have more important things on your 'puter, then those should be the things you're really worried about.

Free Trade Inn
x3tc

Post by Free Trade Inn » Sun, 22. May 16, 21:58

... but that is exactly what a restore point does and Windows would have automatically created one just before you started the update where the power failed. Tracker001 gave you a link to a guide on how to use restore points to recover and generally safeguard your system. It would have been fairly easy to recover your old set up just as it was back then using restore - ie before you changed anything/everything else.
It would only boot up in safe mode and IIRC was asking to be booted normaly to restore where it would bsod.

FTI
You can be cool, or you can be nasty, but as soon as you are one, you are not the other.
FTI

Free Trade Inn
x3tc

Post by Free Trade Inn » Sun, 22. May 16, 22:02

Well I have just done a system restore from my http://i65.tinypic.com/2vl334o.png
And that hasnt worked either it just filled up the rest of C drive with stuff I saved and not altered the file structure
:(

FTI
FTI

Free Trade Inn
x3tc

Post by Free Trade Inn » Sun, 22. May 16, 22:43

Im backing up files on my desk top inc windows old im going to reformat my drive clean intal of w7 and start again. Then I can set up from freash and cherry pick from the old file. Thats sound reasonable?

FTI
FTI

Rnett
x2

Post by Rnett » Sun, 22. May 16, 23:50

Just do it. [ external image ]

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 23. May 16, 00:20

Free Trade Inn wrote:Im backing up files on my desk top inc windows old im going to reformat my drive clean intal of w7 and start again. Then I can set up from freash and cherry pick from the old file. Thats sound reasonable?

FTI
It sounds like the only option you have left.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 23. May 16, 00:21

Free Trade Inn wrote:Im backing up files on my desk top inc windows old im going to reformat my drive clean intal of w7 and start again. Then I can set up from freash and cherry pick from the old file. Thats sound reasonable?

FTI
Just don't cherry-pick any system files to copy/paste. :)

A clean reinstall is always "reasonable." Heck, I used to do a clean wipe/reinstall of everything twice a year. With disk-bloat, thanks to bajillions of free crap on teh interwebz, that gets more difficult as time goes on.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Mon, 23. May 16, 01:21

In future if it "can't see the dvd drive" - then on reboot, hit del to entire the BIOS set up, and reorder the boot priority order...

Return to “Off Topic English”