Russia-Ukraine War

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Warenwolf
x4

Re: Russia-Ukraine War

Post by Warenwolf » Fri, 30. Jun 23, 09:18

felter wrote:
Fri, 30. Jun 23, 00:53
I'm saying there is no way that was Putin the Nosophobia, where he is in close contact with the general public shaking their hands and being breathed on by them, he would not be able to do such a thing.
During this year's Victory day parade (the one they rolled single T-34 tank instead usual defile of modern armor) he was in close proximity to number of people and even exchanged handshakes with number of them so...
Whether he is or is not nosophob changes kinda nothing in the big picture of the things imho. That is right there with caring about the color of the pants the guy has. Who cares?

V2200
xr

Post by V2200 » Sat, 1. Jul 23, 15:52

to exhibition of captured vehicles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2ydM7sJ3Fs

@felter
Because of your posts content, I have great doubts about your psychic health.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 1. Jul 23, 16:21

V2200 wrote:
Sat, 1. Jul 23, 15:52
to exhibition of captured vehicles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2ydM7sJ3Fs
Is it someting special about this vechicle, that I'm missing?
It's not like Ukraine didn't destroyed/capture 150+ Russian Tigr which is basically the same class.
So either this one is very special, or Tigr is crap.
Last edited by mr.WHO on Sat, 1. Jul 23, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 1. Jul 23, 16:54

"@felter Because of your posts content, I have great doubts about your psychic health."

Come on, you know the forum rules well enough. Comment on post content and not on the posters, thanks.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 1. Jul 23, 21:11

Behold! We finally can see it in full glory - the Leopard 2 with ERA:
https://youtu.be/VbMLJ0cUpsw?t=1438

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sun, 2. Jul 23, 03:29

So what do you guys think about Zelensky cancelling the next election, which was supposed to occur in spring 2024? Apparently, their constitution doesn't allow for elections when martial law is in effect. Understandable, but what if the war goes on indefinitely, which is not hard to imagine? Does that mean Zelensky could potentially be President/dictator for life?

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sun, 2. Jul 23, 07:30

Did I read it right that European organization urging Ukraine to hold elections?

I think two things are reasonable,
- supply Ukraine with weapons to defeat Russia, including on Russian territory
- expect Ukraine to hold elections when the country isnt under constant bombing

I cant even imagine how one can do elections on Donbass or Crimea.
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Sun, 2. Jul 23, 09:39

Observe wrote:
Sun, 2. Jul 23, 03:29
So what do you guys think about Zelensky cancelling the next election, which was supposed to occur in spring 2024? Apparently, their constitution doesn't allow for elections when martial law is in effect. Understandable, but what if the war goes on indefinitely, which is not hard to imagine? Does that mean Zelensky could potentially be President/dictator for life?
Instinctively I am very negative towards it, but when thinking about it - it is not unheard of. United Kingdom postponed their local elections during WW1. Host of nations postponed their elections during WW2.

There is also question of legality if you hold elections in areas which are safe from invaders - do you achieve legal quorum, whatever that may be in Ukraine without votes from occupied territories? What about people in areas you liberate? Would you hold another election in order to make their votes relevant? Because if you don't (and there are good reasons practically not to do that), the will have an axe to grind.

As to the fears about Zelenskyy becoming president for life, after a brief look online, it largely comes from those that are fully ok with Putin being a fixture of whatever passes for a state over in russia for 20+ years now.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sun, 2. Jul 23, 11:58

They can't exactly keep polling locations a secret, either. Makes it pretty hard to vote. Would be pretty well telling Putin what date/time/location to deliver a cruise missile to.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sun, 2. Jul 23, 12:06

In addition to what Vertigo 7 said, can Ukraine even secure at this point that everyone *can* vote?

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 2. Jul 23, 12:31

Observe wrote:
Sun, 2. Jul 23, 03:29
Does that mean Zelensky could potentially be President/dictator for life?
Yes, except it's not really for Zelesky to choose, but rather for how long does Putin/Russia continue to wage active warfare and occupation.

The only way to perform the election on unoccupied areas would be, if Russia and Ukraine agree on temporary cease-fire.
However, his woud be as well a trap for Ukranie, that would de facto acknowledge Russia control over the ocuppied areas.
Kinda like Donbas in 2014-2022.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sun, 2. Jul 23, 12:53

Not to mention, there's so much of Ukraine's population that aren't even in the country right now. While I'm all for consent of the people, this is certainly a circumstance where an exception has to apply.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sun, 2. Jul 23, 15:46

I'd also wager that there isn't a lot to accomplish from such a vote (other then Zelensky being confirmed). Also before a vote all occupied territories have to be secured - a vote during a cease-fire with Russian occupiers present isn't a democratic one.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 2. Jul 23, 18:06

Interesting new mod of T-72 from Russia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTpHfwX-E_8

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sun, 2. Jul 23, 19:41

Is this.. a leoparisation? Do they try to go for a Leo silhouette in an attempt to trick UKR recon? :D

Spoiler
Show

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sun, 2. Jul 23, 20:11

According to German news, Poland is blocking a tank repair facility for Ukraine that was planned earlier this year at the polish border to Ukraine.

In the deal Germany was supposed to pay for the repairs but according to insiders, Poland requests highly disproportionate prices. I.e. PGZ wants to charge 100.000€ for every "initial repair assessment", something that is usually priced around 12.000€. In addition, PGZ does not want to assume any warranty for the repairs, which is also completely unusual.

Meanwhile, the Polish government continues to rage openly against Germany. Blaming them to stall help for Ukraine.

Another political game played by the Polish government. A game at the expense of Ukraine. Damaged Ukrainian Leopards are already in Poland, waiting for repairs.

Source: https://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschl ... 1390fb23a7

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sun, 2. Jul 23, 20:14

Ah humans, one have to love them. Meanwhile, Ukraine is suffering and Russia is laughing. :headbang:

Spoiler
Show

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 2. Jul 23, 20:15

Re the strange tank configuration: my first guess would be removable storage cages/boxes for carrying associated stores while on road/rail transits.

My second guess would be screening structures to conceal adaptations or external equipments that they don't want being common knowledge.

None of the add-ons as they are in the video look suitable for use in operations, especially when in close cover or built-up areas.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 2. Jul 23, 21:12

Tamina wrote:
Sun, 2. Jul 23, 20:11
In the deal Germany was supposed to pay for the repairs but according to insiders, Poland requests highly disproportionate prices. I.e. PGZ wants to charge 100.000€ for every "initial repair assessment", something that is usually priced around 12.000€. In addition, PGZ does not want to assume any warranty for the repairs, which is also completely unusual.
This might be something to do with prior Polish-German problems with modernisation of our Leopards 2 to 2PL standard which had a lot of technical and bureurcratic issues (e.g. warranty issues for various needed ad-hoc modifications and corrections beyond original documentation).
Basically PGZ has now hands full with multiple other projects for both Ukraine and Polish forces, so they might ask rudiculous price to brush off the deal and save themselves from a botherful contract.

From what I heard, the decision has been already made that Leopard service center for Ukraine will be in Slovakia, so the article is kinda pointless hitjob of usual Polish-German passive-aggresion friendship.

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Mon, 3. Jul 23, 08:42

mr.WHO wrote:
Sun, 2. Jul 23, 21:12
Tamina wrote:
Sun, 2. Jul 23, 20:11

From what I heard, the decision has been already made that Leopard service center for Ukraine will be in Slovakia, so the article is kinda pointless hitjob of usual Polish-German passive-aggresion friendship.
You heard wrong:
https://euro-sd.com/2023/04/news/31205/ ... in-poland/

So basically what this issue signals- don't take this personally - is that a deal signed by Poland's defense minister means a squat. Can't effing blame Germans whenever you drop the ball - best case scenario this is a defense minister signing a memorandum (letter of intent in private sector) without consulting the industry he is signing it on behalf of. If your industry can't or don't want (Bumar-Łabedy in this case) to execute a contract, it is not something you want to find out after signing of a deal.
And while all of this circus is taking place - Putin wants to become Poland's neighbor (more so than already).

Return to “Off Topic English”