Russia-Ukraine War

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Russia-Ukraine War

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 14. Aug 23, 14:11

That's interesting discussion about ex-colonial Africa developments, but rather off topic in the context of this thread. Maybe take it to a new thread.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 14. Aug 23, 16:21

Given that Wagner and Russia operate in that area, I wouldn't say it's not related.

It could even became secondary theater of RU-UKR war.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Mon, 14. Aug 23, 16:37

I agree, with the second theater one. The topic may seem to be a bit off topic at the moment but since EU/RU are both indirectly/directly in both conflicts, it has the potential to directly influence each other.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 14. Aug 23, 18:30

I more meant the thread disappearing down the rabbit hole of debating for and against this sort of off topic statement:

"Please do not dump a french little post-colonial empire onto entire Europe. Pretty much nobody other than France give a damn about that part of Africa."

Yes, it would be quite on-topic if discussing such as grain shipment issues, Wagner involvement, and Russian talks with African leadership, etc - just as examples.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Mon, 14. Aug 23, 20:57

The local population must clarify what is happening in Niger. Not ecowas, not france and certainly not u.s. or russia. A ridiculously small army (+12,000) faces millions of citizens.

It is clear that the west does not want to lose the Niger as a sphere of influence (Nuland sends regards) Ecowas has already been influenced to do something so as not to make it too obvious that we are pulling the strings. The uranium is too valuable for France, the drone base for the US, and the gold for the country's democratically elected politicians (and their best friends and families).

To come full circle with Ukraine and Putin, I don't think that thousands of Wagner mercenaries are better stationed in niger than in Ukraine or Belarus. But Russia could arm the population to protect their democratic rights from outside influences

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 14. Aug 23, 23:12

EGO_Aut wrote:
Mon, 14. Aug 23, 20:57
. But Russia could arm the population to protect their democratic rights from outside influences
Do you believe in Democracy? Should Russia first believe in it to want to apply it?

I recall the opposite statements from both government and our people
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Tue, 15. Aug 23, 08:09

EGO_Aut wrote:
The local population must clarify what is happening in Niger. Not ecowas, not france and certainly not u.s. or russia. A ridiculously small army (+12,000) faces millions of citizens.

It is clear that the west does not want to lose the Niger as a sphere of influence (Nuland sends regards) Ecowas has already been influenced to do something so as not to make it too obvious that we are pulling the strings. The uranium is too valuable for France, the drone base for the US, and the gold for the country's democratically elected politicians (and their best friends and families).

To come full circle with Ukraine and Putin, I don't think that thousands of Wagner mercenaries are better stationed in niger than in Ukraine or Belarus. But Russia could arm the population to protect their democratic rights from outside influences
Military strength is more determined by technology and resources than numbers. The local population likely won't be able to destroy them. All Ecowas nations combined have a small military. Niger might have the largest by far.

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Tue, 15. Aug 23, 15:26

burger1 wrote:
Tue, 15. Aug 23, 08:09
EGO_Aut wrote:

Military strength is more determined by technology and resources than numbers. The local population likely won't be able to destroy them. All Ecowas nations combined have a small military. Niger might have the largest by far.
Nigeria has vastly larger army than Niger - that being said, it kinda all depends on the political will in addition to the skill on how to use it. Kremlin has on paper larger army than Ukraine but has not exactly covered themselves in glory.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Wed, 16. Aug 23, 00:07

EGO_Aut wrote:
But Russia could arm the population to protect their democratic rights from outside influences
I heavily doubt Russia will arm the population to fight against the military regime and regain their democratic elected government. Russia is as interested in human rights as everyone else is, wanting to destabilize the region to cut off the other competing powers from your mentioned strategic interests.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 16. Aug 23, 10:10

A bit surreal footage from Romania:
https://twitter.com/clashreport/status/ ... 7831715284

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Wed, 16. Aug 23, 15:40

Next incoming - Putin-youth

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-60525350
Authorities in Moscow have unveiled a new schoolbook which aims to justify the war on Ukraine and accuses the West of trying to destroy Russia.

According to excerpts published by Russian media, schoolchildren will now be taught that human civilisation could have come to an end had Vladimir Putin not started his "special military operation" against Ukraine.

The textbook, called "Russian History, 1945 - early 21st century", was co-authored by presidential adviser Vladimir Medinsky, formerly Russian culture minister.

This is the first officially approved history book to be used in Russian schools which mentions events as recent as the full-scale invasion of Ukraine, which started in February 2022.

From September, it will be studied in the last year of secondary education in Russia - the 11th year - which is attended by pupils aged 17-18.

The textbook claims that "the West is fixated on destabilising the situation within Russia" and to achieve this aim, Western powers spread "undisguised Russophobia".

Then, it goes on, they started "dragging" Russia into various conflicts. The West's ultimate objective is to destroy Russia and take control of its mineral wealth, the schoolbook says.

It repeats numerous clichés from Kremlin propaganda, portraying Ukraine as an aggressive state run by nationalist extremists and manipulated by the West, which allegedly uses the country as a "battering ram" against Russia.

According to the book, Ukraine is little more than a Western invention created to spite Russia, and even Ukraine's blue-and-yellow flag was supposedly invented by the Austrians keen to convince Ukrainians that they are different from Russians.

makes me angry and glad that I am not raising my kid in this
Last edited by fiksal on Wed, 16. Aug 23, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Wed, 16. Aug 23, 18:03

He really goes by the book ... time for him to design a nice flag and eye-catchy symbol.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Wed, 16. Aug 23, 19:49

chew-ie wrote:
Wed, 16. Aug 23, 18:03
He really goes by the book ... time for him to design a nice flag and eye-catchy symbol.
like a white Z on black background? There's also a multi colored ribbon Z variant for military parades.

V2200
xr

Post by V2200 » Thu, 17. Aug 23, 22:20

Free Europeans always have a choice and they can learn from Ukrainian scoolbooks, which contain the "true truth". :roll:

V2200
xr

Post by V2200 » Thu, 17. Aug 23, 22:25

felter wrote:
Sun, 6. Aug 23, 19:13
It does beggar the question, if they can do it, then why aren't they doing it, I mean how many months ago did Ukraine destroy the Russian Black Sea fleet flagship, and it has never been replaced, all they have done is name another of the fleet as their flagship, wouldn't it be better to replace it with like for like or something close. As far as I'm aware, there are only two canals that are capable of being used by large military sailing vessels, the Suez and Panama canals, of course I could easily be wrong on that, as I'm not up to speed on large overly sized canals. :)
I am not the fleet commander, but apparently there are enough ships to complete the tasks. You can always transfer the missing ones with a class no higher than a frigate from the other two (or maybe more) fleets. A ship of the same class with the former flagship of the Black Sea Fleet is only in the Pacific Ocean.

V2200
xr

Post by V2200 » Thu, 17. Aug 23, 22:30

mr.WHO wrote:
Tue, 8. Aug 23, 12:42
Ukraine crossed Dnieper at another sector:
https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/16888 ... Mh4RfLW%2F

Could be either a distraction to spread Russian forces more thin, or (I hope) preparation for actual push to bypass the Zaporozia defense line.
they cross it only on twitter. The famous counteroffensive in almost three months with a rollback and leaving positions.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 18. Aug 23, 01:33

V2200 wrote:
Thu, 17. Aug 23, 22:25
felter wrote:
Sun, 6. Aug 23, 19:13
It does beggar the question, if they can do it, then why aren't they doing it, I mean how many months ago did Ukraine destroy the Russian Black Sea fleet flagship, and it has never been replaced, all they have done is name another of the fleet as their flagship, wouldn't it be better to replace it with like for like or something close. As far as I'm aware, there are only two canals that are capable of being used by large military sailing vessels, the Suez and Panama canals, of course I could easily be wrong on that, as I'm not up to speed on large overly sized canals. :)
I am not the fleet commander, but apparently there are enough ships to complete the tasks. You can always transfer the missing ones with a class no higher than a frigate from the other two (or maybe more) fleets. A ship of the same class with the former flagship of the Black Sea Fleet is only in the Pacific Ocean.
The conversation at the time was more to do with getting Russian warships into the Black Sea, so it was more to do with the difficulty Russia has in replacing the ship that had been the flagship, rather than actually replacing the flagship like for like. At the end of the day you can name any ship you want as your flagship, you could even call a rubber dingy your flagship, though I don't think it would be quite up to that task. :)
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 18. Aug 23, 13:59

V2200 wrote:
Thu, 17. Aug 23, 22:20
Free Europeans always have a choice and they can learn from Ukrainian scoolbooks, which contain the "true truth". :roll:
the rest of the world isn't Russia and doesn't work like Russia

do you believe those text books, are they the truth to you?

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 18. Aug 23, 17:35

There is such a thing called truth, which is entirely independent of state propaganda, media narratives, and opinion polls.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 20. Aug 23, 20:09

Seem like Russian soldiers keep the glorious tradition of punching down even when they get back home...
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1693226366127210642

...kudos for the girl to not back down and scoring kick in the nuts, she defiently has some ukrainian descent in her genes :D

Return to “Off Topic English”