Combining developers powers to make one great space sim.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Snokid
x2

Combining developers powers to make one great space sim.

Post by Snokid » Mon, 8. Mar 04, 22:53

Would it be possible to get together the developers from the really good space sims and have them work to make one great online space sim- x ou 8)

I was dreaming about combining i-war, xbtf(x²), freelancer, freespace, starlance, elite, earth and beyond, eve...all those great games into one massive mélange :mrgreen:

each of them have their good points, but all of them seem to miss completion...they just seem to forget about the other aspects of the space sims :gruebel: :doh:

I think it would be a nice little project and a nice awakener for the space sime genre, especially if it were made to be multiplayer :fg:

only a dream? :pisa: :tuichdoch:

The_Rock
x2

Post by The_Rock » Mon, 8. Mar 04, 22:54

nice little project?
"How very touching his meaningless death was. But this fight was never for mortals".

chadrickb
x3

Post by chadrickb » Mon, 8. Mar 04, 22:59

I mentioned something about this in a pervious thread: 1 part Freespace(capital ship combat), 1 part IW2 (physics) and three parts X2 (everything else). Now that I think about it, lets add 1 part Morrowind too, so there are more plots and adventures to be found throughout this huge (but often empty) galaxy.

Somebody get cracking!
Last edited by chadrickb on Tue, 9. Mar 04, 01:44, edited 1 time in total.

Snokid
x2

Post by Snokid » Mon, 8. Mar 04, 23:09

Im asking would something like this be allowed more than im asking if its wanted...

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Mon, 8. Mar 04, 23:40

Snokid wrote:Im asking would something like this be allowed more than im asking if its wanted...
Allowed?....I would have thought so, but Possible?, i'd very much doubt it.
I have a fleeting impression/idea of Bernd, David Braben, Ian Bell, a rep from Microsoft etc. etc. sitting down in an office somewhere discussing how they were going to implement the new space simulator to eclipse them all...hang on....i'm just visualizing it....

Nope....the idea has just evaporated :D

I suppose it's 'possible' <- (Optomist :roll: )

Oldman :)

Hendar23
x3tc

Post by Hendar23 » Mon, 8. Mar 04, 23:46

chadrickb wrote: 1 part Freelancer (capital ship combat)
Huh? I played Freelancer to the end (It was a fun 5 mins!) And I think I saw a capitalship...once....from a distance....
Surely it should be: 1 part Homeworld 2 (capital ship combat)

BoomAM
x3

Post by BoomAM » Tue, 9. Mar 04, 00:03

A perfect space sim game would be X2 crossed with Tie Fighter. Combat/dogfighting. Nothing comes close to the combat in TF.

gurkmeja
x4

Post by gurkmeja » Tue, 9. Mar 04, 00:37

Agreed the dogfights in Tie Fighter was superb, however every mission in TF was pre planned and thus not really comparable to a free game like this.
I-War or Privateer would be much more suitable to compare with.

BTW. I don't understand why noone remembers Privateer the best space-sim with free gameplay made in the time after Frontier and before I-War...

Snokid
x2

Post by Snokid » Tue, 9. Mar 04, 00:41

can someone point me to the direction of tiefighter...

chadrickb
x3

Post by chadrickb » Tue, 9. Mar 04, 01:44

Hendar23 wrote:
chadrickb wrote: 1 part Freelancer (capital ship combat)
Huh? I played Freelancer to the end (It was a fun 5 mins!) And I think I saw a capitalship...once....from a distance....
Surely it should be: 1 part Homeworld 2 (capital ship combat)
Sorry...Freelancer sucked...I ment FreeSpace!

navair2
x3tc

Post by navair2 » Tue, 9. Mar 04, 04:03

I still have a copy of Privateer, and Privateer 2 for that matter...I LOVED Privateer.

As for similarity of gameplay, Freelancer has come closest, in my humble opinion, to replicating the feel I had for Privateer...plus, the modding community ( Giskard, Micheal Dan, and others ) have come up with some EXCELLENT stuff to keep the game interesting.

It's VERY difficult for me to choose between X2 and Freelancer, so I play them both. CHEERS!

shasla5
x3

Post by shasla5 » Tue, 9. Mar 04, 04:09

I think the ideal space sim should take some aspects of FL. The great storyline (the missions) and the universe (background story). And the simplicity of control, though Freelancer was a bit over simplified.

BigVern
x3tc

Post by BigVern » Thu, 11. Mar 04, 07:48

I remember Privateer (and the add on pack). Great game, particularly once you had a kitted out Centurion. A little bit more plot driven than X2 but many an hour or three put to use patrolling jump gates etc. Privateer 2 was good, though buggy in the later stages and even more plot driven than the first.

Unfortunately unless you have an old 486 or ancient Pentium 133 with MS-DOS neither will work and my copies long since went in the charity bag.

IMHO Frontier (Elite 2 not the buggy FFE) remains supreme as it was truly open ended but again suffers from lack of compatability with the latest M$ operating systems, sound and video drivers etc. I would shake David Braben's hand (and buy him a pint) if ever he gets round to making a Win XP version of Frontier, second only to Chris Sawyer doing a Win XP version of Transport Tycoon!

Aureus the Golden
x3

Post by Aureus the Golden » Thu, 11. Mar 04, 08:03

BigVern wrote: second only to Chris Sawyer doing a Win XP version of Transport Tycoon!
Transport Tycoon!!!
I hope the Sawyer guy is going to get away from rollercoasters soon and make us a sequel!

BigVern
x3tc

Post by BigVern » Thu, 11. Mar 04, 08:08

Yes he does seem rather obsessed by Rollercoasters.

There's a couple of promising transport strategy games due out later this year - A-Train 6 on PS2 and Transport Giant from Jowood which should be worth a look.

And of course to some extent, X2 is Railroad Tycoon in space (with guns).

:D :D

Aureus the Golden
x3

Post by Aureus the Golden » Thu, 11. Mar 04, 08:19

BigVern wrote:Yes he does seem rather obsessed by Rollercoasters.

There's a couple of promising transport strategy games due out later this year - A-Train 6 on PS2 and Transport Giant from Jowood which should be worth a look.

And of course to some extent, X2 is Railroad Tycoon in space (with guns).

:D :D
I don't own any console. As for Jowood they won't ever have my money again. They really pissed me off with their buggy games and a complete lack of support. :shock:
Silly you, you have made me think about Transport Tycoon again. I thought I was cured. :wink:
Sorry for hijacking the thread, peeps.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”